Sponsored by:

baby seat

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2012, 09:20 PM
darrenj1970
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baby seat

a freind of mine has aske this question and i dont know the answer .
can anyone help

Does anyone know if you can turn the airbag off in the passenger seat on an 2004 impreza WRX
Old 07 February 2012, 09:34 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure you can't
Old 07 February 2012, 09:35 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

nope tells you in the handbook
Old 07 February 2012, 09:53 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

As others have said , no you cant. I wanted to turn it off on my 07 sti passenger airbag but found out you can't. Poor show really !
Old 07 February 2012, 10:38 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

No you can't mate. Easier to put them in the back anyway.
Old 07 February 2012, 11:23 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to pull the airbag fuse and drive it like that. When I needed the airbag again, pop it back in. All with ignition off obviously.
Old 07 February 2012, 11:45 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you know when you'll need an airbag?

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2012, 01:26 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

When I'm heading towards a brick wall

Seriously though, I don't think there are many Jap cars that have the passenger airbags you can turn off. Where as I've had Peugeots and Citroens that allow you to do it with a key.

If you want to disable the passenger airbag longer term, but still have the drivers working. You can unplug the passenger airbag, and use a resistor to keep the circuit.
Old 08 February 2012, 01:39 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Seriously though kids should be carried in the back irrespective of age. Less of a distraction for the driver and safer for them.

Pulling the fuse is all well and good but what if you got the wrong one or it didn't fully disarm it and you had a crash. Not sure I could live with myself if I had inadvertently caused some harm to my little'un
Old 08 February 2012, 02:06 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Seriously though kids should be carried in the back irrespective of age. Less of a distraction for the driver and safer for them.

Pulling the fuse is all well and good but what if you got the wrong one or it didn't fully disarm it and you had a crash. Not sure I could live with myself if I had inadvertently caused some harm to my little'un
The Law states kids have to be 1.35m tall to sit in the front. My daughter measured herself weekly for over 2 years. One day she told me with a big grin on her face that she was now 1.35m tall. I measured to double check and she was spot on 1.35. There is no way she will sit in the back now. I hate having her in the front, its like having a copper sat next to me. If i drift even a couple of miles per hour over the limit i get nagged to death.
Old 08 February 2012, 02:19 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I know what you are saying, and its not supposed to be done this way, but if you were to do it, you'd make sure its done properly. The airbag fuse is in the holder differently to the others. It has side walls to make it harder to pull out. Plus, once its out the whole airbag system is deployed, so the airbag light its on.

Chopperman, got a link to where it says you have to be over 1.35m tall?
Old 08 February 2012, 02:31 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
I know what you are saying, and its not supposed to be done this way, but if you were to do it, you'd make sure its done properly. The airbag fuse is in the holder differently to the others. It has side walls to make it harder to pull out. Plus, once its out the whole airbag system is deployed, so the airbag light its on.

Chopperman, got a link to where it says you have to be over 1.35m tall?
http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm
Old 08 February 2012, 03:54 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I wanted to do this on my old 3dr ST170 and recall that the main dealer can do it by pluging into the OBD, that was for fords, not sure abouts scoobs though!
Old 09 February 2012, 12:43 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman

Thanks.

But based on that, you have your info confused, or you haven't explained your situation fully.

It says they have to be over 1.35m to sit in the front, WITHOUT a car seat, where as this discussion is about car seats. So, I'm assuming your daughter bugged you to sit in front without a car seat.

I was just concerned I was doing something illegal, as I have my 3 year old up front with me, and he's barely a metre, but is in the correct car seat for his age/weight group.
Old 09 February 2012, 09:01 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Thanks.

But based on that, you have your info confused, or you haven't explained your situation fully.

It says they have to be over 1.35m to sit in the front, WITHOUT a car seat, where as this discussion is about car seats. So, I'm assuming your daughter bugged you to sit in front without a car seat.

I was just concerned I was doing something illegal, as I have my 3 year old up front with me, and he's barely a metre, but is in the correct car seat for his age/weight group.
Your correct it is 1.35m to sit in the front without a car seat. According to the sticker on my passenger sun visor you should not use a car seat in the front anyway. Im not sure how you stand using a booster seat in the front with a kid under 1.35m. Not something i really looked into as a booster seat does not really fit in the bucket style front seats.
I think my point was unless your kid is 1.35m or over 12 years old they should not sit in the front seat at all if you have airbags and or need to use a backward facing child seat. I think front facing seats are ok.
What i do with my daughter in the front is move the seat right back so if the airbag was deployed there is a larger gap between her and the bag.

Point is, the link i posted should answer all your front seat child related questions if you read it !

Last edited by chopperman; 09 February 2012 at 09:02 AM.