Sponsored by:

Top Gear.

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2012, 09:26 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear.

Well after the last Christmas episode left me feeling like the program had run out of steam and ideas, they come back with a bang.

Tonight's episode was great, apart from that will.i.am bloke!?!

I'm truly jealous of those 3, some of the cars they get to play with...

Well my bit said, here's to more like tonight's.
Old 29 January 2012, 09:31 PM
#68 rb5
Scooby Regular

Here, here. Was a good episode tonight. I want that blue stuff to come out my exhaust like that Lamborghini. Reminded me of need for speed hot pursuit. Lol.
What makes it do that???
Old 29 January 2012, 09:33 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Yea was a good episode that, looks as if they got their acts together again.

That's just unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust buddy.
Old 29 January 2012, 09:35 PM
#68 rb5
Scooby Regular

Lol. No wonder it was only doing 7mpg. It was throwing the stuff away.
Old 29 January 2012, 09:59 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bar steward missed it
Old 29 January 2012, 10:05 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Me too, I kind of gave up hope after the shocking trip to India. What a waste of my life that was. Gonna catch it Wednesday. Cheers for the heads-up mate!
Old 29 January 2012, 10:20 PM
the hamster
BANNED

I thought Will.I.Am was pretty cool. A lot of celebs could take a leaf out of his book and give back to their roots like he has.

BTW, when I die, I want them to play the sound of that Lambo in the tunnel at my funeral
Old 29 January 2012, 10:48 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

It was on at 8pm i recorded it and just watched it fantastic! back with a vengenance after the last episodes as some where really poor!

Loovind clarcksons face as he went for that last lap of imola shear determination love it..!
Old 29 January 2012, 11:17 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

That noble must be brutal with 550bhp per ton. I thought my car was quick with 350 per ton, lol.
Old 29 January 2012, 11:27 PM
Jamiesti01
Scooby Regular

I live about a 1/4 mile away from the noble unit and hear the M600 often being nailed down onto the dual carrageway!! carnt miss that V8 noise.

Last edited by Jamiesti01; 29 January 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 29 January 2012, 11:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
I thought Will.I.Am was pretty cool. A lot of celebs could take a leaf out of his book and give back to their roots like he has.
Seconded
Old 30 January 2012, 12:32 AM
Quinvy
Scooby Regular

I agree the program was much better.

My only regret is that with the current fashion for black wheels and discusting metalic paints. I didn't want to own any of those super cars. I thought they all looked horrible. Has everyone in the world had a bad taste transplant? or am I the only person that doesn't want a car with space saver wheels on?

Rant over, sorry.
Old 30 January 2012, 01:01 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinvy
I didn't want to own any of those super cars.

The worrying part for me is the comment of the Lambo driving lke a Golf. This seems to be a increasingly common thing with modern fast cars these days - they seem to removing all of the fighty mechanical rawness out of them.

For me this is a tragic thing of modern performance/supercars....like the Nissan GTR quoted by motoring hacks as driving like a playstation game (as if it were a compliment ).

Yeah its bloody fast, but who wants a fast lambo with the same sensation and feedback and simplicity to drive of a Golf?

Of course I could be utterly wrong here, but knowing how modern performance cars have gone down the same path (most notable for me being Porsche and BMW) is this meaning that some time soon all supercars willl soon have the feedback and drivability of a Toyota Prius?

Am I the only person left who likes a heavy clutch with a snappy bite point? I also like lightweight flywheels that means one has to master the art of using a clutch properly, I like a reluctant clunky gearbox that needs precise rev matching to work properly, I like non-assisted steering that fights back, letting me know what the road surface is like, and I like it when loads up when cornering so I can feel the front end reaching grip limits before it exceeds them and I like a rock-solid unassisted brake pedal that needs effort to press (therefore making it more proportionate).

And most importantly; I like the fact that all the above means the average shopping car driver can't drive it, as they can't pull away without stalling and can't turn the steering wheel because its too heavy (as they are trying to turn it when stationary ). It shows up the bad drivers for who they are, and rewards those who can actually drive it. IMO.

Oh dear.....I must be getting old

Anyhoo.....good show that. Will.I.am is a bit odd ball though....and he can't drive a manual Kia.....but will be able drive a Lambo Aventador with ease (which is exactly what I'm getting at ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 January 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 30 January 2012, 01:48 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

I hear what you are saying, but driving shouldn't be a chore in traffic, that leads to fatigue and mistakes. Will.I.Am might be able to drive the Aventador, but can he drive it any better than a Kia Auto, his evidence suggests not.

Let the lap times be the judge, not how heavy a clutch is.

I have driven an older LP500 Quatrovalvole and it is hideous, not least because of my height and the ridiculous clutch travel, but also its size. If the Aventador fixes all those faults, then that is good news I say for those that can afford the car. I am certain they won't want the hideous driving experience you hold dear
Old 30 January 2012, 08:57 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

I do have to agree with Ali here, which is why I would have one of these if money permitted.......

Now I know it couldn't come close to the lap times of the three cars featured on Top Gear, but it's not all about lap times is it.
Old 30 January 2012, 09:35 AM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

i missed it on sunday ,but just watched it on bbc i player :-)
Old 30 January 2012, 10:43 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWG_STi
Me too, I kind of gave up hope after the shocking trip to India. What a waste of my life that was. Gonna catch it Wednesday. Cheers for the heads-up mate!
What really annoyed me about that 'special' was the fact that they went against everything they purport to stand for and destroyed three excellent classic cars (I would have loved that Mini) Why couln't they have used three of the more dreadful offerings by the likes of Kia, Proton etc? They keep whining on about how much they hate those cars, I would have thought they would have made perfect fodder!

Last nights programe, on the other hand, was Top Gear as we prefer it.

JohnD
Old 30 January 2012, 10:54 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Yep! But the basis of your arguement is correct

Anyhoo.....good show that. Will.I.am is a bit odd ball though....and he can't drive a manual Kia.....but will be able drive a Lambo Aventador with ease (which is exactly what I'm getting at ).
It's the classic case of so many Americans having little or no idea of what is going on outside their city limits!

JohnD
Old 30 January 2012, 10:59 AM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Agree with Ali on this one, I learnt to drive in a power assisted everything car and had a mk1 micra for my first car. I clearly missed the hayday of motoring in supercars etc but think that the true supercars are those that i get to see at Goodwood each year that are 30+ years old! And you could feel everything...!
Old 30 January 2012, 01:16 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

It was Definatley one of the best episodes for a long time. The noble looked amazing in black

The flames from the Lamborghini was impressive, might make tail gaters think twice
Old 30 January 2012, 01:19 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I wanted to see how much damaged they had caused to the front spoilers after going over all those potholes and cobbled roads. I cringed every time I heard a scrape or crack,.
Old 30 January 2012, 01:23 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I don't get it......

The whole program was just about the same 3 supercars. It's just like the rest of the recent Top Gear. All messing about no substance. Yes it's great entertainment but it could be so much better.

Will.i.am was the best part of the show tbh and I don't even like his music.
Old 30 January 2012, 04:21 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

The worrying part for me is the comment of the Lambo driving lke a Golf. This seems to be a increasingly common thing with modern fast cars these days - they seem to removing all of the fighty mechanical rawness out of them.

For me this is a tragic thing of modern performance/supercars....like the Nissan GTR quoted by motoring hacks as driving like a playstation game (as if it were a compliment ).

Yeah its bloody fast, but who wants a fast lambo with the same sensation and feedback and simplicity to drive of a Golf?

Of course I could be utterly wrong here, but knowing how modern performance cars have gone down the same path (most notable for me being Porsche and BMW) is this meaning that some time soon all supercars willl soon have the feedback and drivability of a Toyota Prius?

Am I the only person left who likes a heavy clutch with a snappy bite point? I also like lightweight flywheels that means one has to master the art of using a clutch properly, I like a reluctant clunky gearbox that needs precise rev matching to work properly, I like non-assisted steering that fights back, letting me know what the road surface is like, and I like it when loads up when cornering so I can feel the front end reaching grip limits before it exceeds them and I like a rock-solid unassisted brake pedal that needs effort to press (therefore making it more proportionate).

And most importantly; I like the fact that all the above means the average shopping car driver can't drive it, as they can't pull away without stalling and can't turn the steering wheel because its too heavy (as they are trying to turn it when stationary ). It shows up the bad drivers for who they are, and rewards those who can actually drive it. IMO.

You need a Countach mate, along with the birch twigs and Mr's Whiplash's phone number..
Old 30 January 2012, 04:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'll make do with a 1972 Lotus Elan FHC with a ITB Zetec conversion.

It'll be a bit cheaper on fuel

Otherwise an F40 would be nice (although the turbo lag may annoy me) or an old 250 GTO

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 January 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 30 January 2012, 04:41 PM
Harmz2011
Scooby Regular

I'd like them to do a feature where they each have £10,000 and they have to buy a modified car that has to beat a supercar in a series of challenges. I wonder what they'd all choose if it ever happened?
Old 30 January 2012, 04:42 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Harmz2011
I'd like them to do a feature where they each have £10,000 and they have to buy a modified car that has to beat a supercar in a series of challenges. I wonder what they'd all choose if it ever happened?
blob sti of course
Old 30 January 2012, 10:46 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

I'll make do with a 1972 Lotus Elan FHC with a ITB Zetec conversion.

It'll be a bit cheaper on fuel
What like this one? (You hum it Son, I'll play it.. )