Sponsored by:

Paint warranty on MY02 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2012, 02:28 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint warranty on MY02 WRX?

Anyone know before I chase this down (i.e. it's possibly a non starter) what the paint warranty on a MY 02 WRX was/is?

The top blue layer of paint on my scoop (and only the scoop) is flaking off. The white undercoat is fine. I wonder if the warranty on paint was 10 years as the rest of the car is fine

I'm thinking that the heat with plastic flexing has caused it and the way it's flaking it certainly looks as though a fault with the way it was applied, rather than wear or tear as the rest of the car is fine still, nice and shiny and the paint's not coming off. So it's not the way it's been washed/treated by me.

And as it's 10 y.o in June I want to get this sorted before then.
Old 26 January 2012, 02:34 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

Paint/Body warranties are usually subject to yearly inspections .....
Old 26 January 2012, 02:34 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

In fact is there such a thing as a paint warranty? I think it maybe just the body/corrosion etc. You've got to think of the conditions the paint is subjected to, and I don't think anybody would warranty that!
Old 26 January 2012, 03:06 PM
scooby red
Scooby Regular

Mine gone the same way mate. my 02 also. Waiting till weather better then have the bonnet and scoop done together.
Old 26 January 2012, 06:43 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you had the annual body inspections carried out and have you had the two re-treatments done and cards sent back to subaru ?? If not then I'm affraid you'll have to bite the bullet and pay for it yourself.

Paint warranty is Below lower Glass level nothing above it FYI
Old 27 January 2012, 08:46 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Hmm so it does have a 10 year paint warranty - but needed to be especially inspected/treated?

I assume the body inspections are done at service though I've not seen them called out as such. Also not sure about the treatments - shouldn't the garage tell me this was being/needed to be done? Sounds like none of this has been carried out - not that I was aware of this myself :-(

Anyway it's only the scoop at the moment, the rest is good. And I guess you could argue the scoop was above glass level, lol.
Old 27 January 2012, 08:45 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Miniman
Hmm so it does have a 10 year paint warranty - but needed to be especially inspected/treated?

I assume the body inspections are done at service though I've not seen them called out as such. Also not sure about the treatments - shouldn't the garage tell me this was being/needed to be done? Sounds like none of this has been carried out - not that I was aware of this myself :-(

Anyway it's only the scoop at the moment, the rest is good. And I guess you could argue the scoop was above glass level, lol.

Yes the car has a 10 year warranty on the paintwork. If you look in the service booklet at the rear you will see the cards for the annual inspections/re-treatment. If they've not been done it wont be filled in as these are not part of the std service as they performed at extra cost

Trending Topics

Old 27 January 2012, 09:11 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

lol im not being stupid, but just go and get it painted in a bodyshop?? i would expect some paint to be fudged after 10 years tbh! lol