Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buya modified classic - what's it worth pls?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2012, 10:57 AM
frazman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buya modified classic - what's it worth pls?

Hi all - a local seller has a a 98 STi classic for sale which he has spent a lot of money modifying over many years. I'm toying with the idea of buying but i'm finding it hard to value! It's not for sale on the open market yet but for sale thru a friend of a friend.

It's very low mileage at 40k, full roll cage, apparently with a forged engine built about 7k ago (if he has no receipt, is there a way of verifying this?), running approx 380bhp with a TD06 20g big bearing turbo (3k fitted apparently?), exhaust, uprated brakes,front mount, rays alloys, excedy triple plate clutch, bucket seats, knocklink (1500 apparently?) etc

He has spent in the region of 25k on the car but i've yet to see any receipts to back this up. He's seems a genuine chap so I have no reason to disbelieve, it's his pride an joy and he seems reluctant to sell.

So can anyone give me an idea what the current market value of something like this is? and anything I need to check or factor in before I commit to buying.

cheers fraz

Last edited by frazman; 25 January 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 25 January 2012, 11:04 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of the day it is a 14 year old classic so very little
Mods mean nothing to a valuation
Nightmare to unsure
Insurance with a fitted roll cage is very hard if not imPossible
Why no receipts ?
Do not believe an enthuasist would not have recieptes as if you are careless
Enough to loose them well where us the proof
Probably worth more in parts if the work has been done
Value 3-4k max maybe less then 3 k
Old 25 January 2012, 11:04 AM
JAPOLLY
Scooby Regular

whats he want for it? you can pick up a classic for nothing these days,just because its had alot of money spent onit doesnt mean its worth more,if it was me id stay away from a modified subaru,and yes before you say it thats hard finding a un-moded one,but if its got up rated parts and they go wrong, it just means you will be out of pocket

also 40k on a classic............mmmmmmm i doubt that very much
Old 25 January 2012, 11:43 AM
frazman
Scooby Newbie

wow thanks for speedy response folks. I believe he has receipts but until i see them i'll be sceptical! apparently he's had the car about 10 years and only used for shows/track etc so i'm hoping the mileage is genuine! The engine was rebuilt 7k ago - how long are these hightly tuned engines likely to last realisticly. And he want considerably more than 3-4k for it. I've read that gearbox's can be a weakness, roughly how much for second hand g/box fitted do you think? thanks again
Old 25 January 2012, 12:00 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

If he wants considerably more than 3-4k for it then I think he's going to be bitterly disappointed.
Just check pistonheads classifieds and that will give you a guide
Old 25 January 2012, 12:24 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

High spec sorted Forged 380+bhp classic STI for £3,000......

What have you been smoking ??
Old 25 January 2012, 12:28 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Lots of classics on eBay for £800-£1500
There is a fine example of a classic 2000 wagon with 89k miles on for £1500 on our TTS website
As pointed out mods mean nothing to the valuation if pictures are posted up someone will have seen or if it's been at a show eg NBO etc
Nothing like financial madness then to spend money on a scooby then try to sell it And get his money back
Sort of theming the govt does with the uk but they just keep spending the money
Offer him a couple of grand maximum and break it up for parts

Trending Topics

Old 25 January 2012, 12:30 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

So you reckon mine is only worth circa 3K then ???
Sounds like similar spec as the one the op is talking about.

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-finished.html
Old 25 January 2012, 12:33 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

so it had a new engine at 33k but the car is only used for shows etc??? seems a bit pointless.

knocklink isnt £1500 unless prices have risen dramastically in 5 years since I bought one!
Old 25 January 2012, 12:36 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983

The op said the guy will want considerably more than 3-4k for it. I don't know what considerably more for than 4k is as its open to interpretation but at the moment I don't think he's going to get a ridiculous amount of money for the car no matter what he's done to it. Look at what they are going for at the moment
Old 25 January 2012, 12:36 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

lordharding has a point, modified cars are worth little more than their unmodified counterparts especialy in Scooby territory. Unless you have an absolute monster spec I wouldn't expect to recoup more than 20% of the money spent on mods and that would be pushing it.

My advice to anyone with a modded classic is to keep the original parts, put her back to standard to sell it and sell the special parts separatley.
Old 25 January 2012, 12:40 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frazman
Hi all - a local seller has a a 98 STi classic for sale which he has spent a lot of money modifying over many years. I'm toying with the idea of buying but i'm finding it hard to value! It's not for sale on the open market yet but for sale thru a friend of a friend.

It's very low mileage at 40k, full roll cage, apparently with a forged engine built about 7k ago (if he has no receipt, is there a way of verifying this?), running approx 380bhp with a TD06 20g big bearing turbo (3k fitted apparently?), exhaust, uprated brakes,front mount, rays alloys, excedy triple plate clutch, bucket seats, knocklink (1500 apparently?) etc

He has spent in the region of 25k on the car but i've yet to see any receipts to back this up. He's seems a genuine chap so I have no reason to disbelieve, it's his pride an joy and he seems reluctant to sell.

So can anyone give me an idea what the current market value of something like this is? and anything I need to check or factor in before I commit to buying.

cheers fraz
Best thing to do chap is get a complete list of the spec and overall condition. Post this up and then we will be able to give a better valuation.

I can tell you this much though, it's worth considerably more than 3K if it has what you say.
The market is **** for these cars at the minute, BUT, well specced good condition and looked after cars will still demand a premium. I totally agree that boy raced unloved classic are worth pennies now but from your post this car sounds far from that. Ignore the rediculous comments above suggesting it's worth less than 3K. How they can suggest that is beyond me.
Old 25 January 2012, 12:48 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

My own Type R is running around 370bhp - not forged though as its still on its original 42k mile engine. I do have a 6 speed and big brakes and if I were to sell it I would expect around £7k for it. So this one I'd guess at £5k
Old 25 January 2012, 01:13 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by lordharding
At the end of the day it is a 14 year old classic so very little
Mods mean nothing to a valuation
Nightmare to unsure
Insurance with a fitted roll cage is very hard if not imPossible
Value 3-4k max maybe less then 3 k
Can't agree with any of the above! Mods will mean a great deal to the right buyer - as an example I'd rather pay £7k for a car that's had £25k spent on it than £3k for a standard car then spend another £25k on it! I've never struggled to insure a modded car. Fpmsl at your valuation + the other "low ballers"

TX.
Old 25 January 2012, 01:15 PM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

TD06 - The only time I have ever seen these is cheap from China through ebay. Normally £300-400 brand new.

There was a guy on a local forum who did get +400bhp out of his classic using one of these but he sold it soon afterwards so I don't know the longevity of them. He was running a standard engine and gearbox so either one of those may have let go at any minute.
Old 25 January 2012, 01:18 PM
frazman
Scooby Newbie

ok thanks people for the heads up. As Jay mentioned above the only thing that worries me is the prices for some of the modifications he's been quoting me for seem rather exagerated - would a TD06 cost 3k fitted - i looked on ebay and you can buy one for £300 it seems - assuming i've got the right one?

If we can agree on a price, the plan would be to take this car to track days but i'm concerned about blowing it up...need i be? I will report back when i get some more information on it.

cheers
Old 25 January 2012, 01:21 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Fast driving on the road is one thing, track days are quite different! Chap on here had his 600hp WR1 blow up at the first track day he attended due to it not having a dry sump ...

TX.
Old 25 January 2012, 01:27 PM
deepy
Scooby Regular

Its worth whatever you're prepared to pay against other similar examples. Take a good look at other ads, read up as much as you can and make an informed offer rather than accepting his valuation.
Old 25 January 2012, 01:37 PM
JAPOLLY
Scooby Regular

back in 2009 i bought a 95 wrx kitted up, gearbox went 250 re coned box plus i had to change clutch because your daft if you change the box and leave the old clutch, i ended up spending hundreds and hundreds on it and i did less than 100 miles init in 1 year as it was on axle stands all the time,there really not worth the hasstle you pay 5k or you pay 1k you get the same problems
Old 25 January 2012, 02:49 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAPOLLY
back in 2009 i bought a 95 wrx kitted up, gearbox went 250 re coned box plus i had to change clutch because your daft if you change the box and leave the old clutch, i ended up spending hundreds and hundreds on it and i did less than 100 miles init in 1 year as it was on axle stands all the time,there really not worth the hasstle you pay 5k or you pay 1k you get the same problems
You are a glass half full man then.
Old 25 January 2012, 03:07 PM
JAPOLLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
You are a glass half full man then.
iam not all together sure what you mean by that but ive had a few scoobies and had alot of issues with them
Old 25 January 2012, 03:31 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

iam not all together sure what you mean by that but ive had a few scoobies and had alot of issues with them
Have they always been 'cheaper' cars ?

I've also had a few Imprezas through my hands and haven't had any major dramas. If you buy a good one to start with then the problems are far fewer.

The problem with most Imprezas is the owners. Many cars are owned by people who have no clue about how they work and what they require to be reliable. For instance, was chatting to a fella at the weekend who owns a classic. He fitted a few bolt on mods and turned the boost up. When I asked him who mapped it he replied with, "nobody, why do I need it mapping".......
And there is my point. Those type of cars will encounter serious issues and are worth very little. On the other hand, well looked after cars and cars that have been owned by enthusiasts who actually understand them are worth a premium.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 25 January 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 25 January 2012, 04:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Mine has 31k on the clock

Tony
Old 25 January 2012, 04:27 PM
frazman
Scooby Newbie

not got round to the viewing yet but is a dry sump a must for track use?
Old 25 January 2012, 04:29 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frazman
not got round to the viewing yet but is a dry sump a must for track use?
No, but they recommend something like a baffled sump, though cars like the Spec C which are very track orientated seem to do quite well

Tony
Old 25 January 2012, 04:29 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Mine has 31k on the clock

Tony
And mine, around 47k.

Last edited by joz8968; 25 January 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 25 January 2012, 04:54 PM
JAPOLLY
Scooby Regular

Have they always been 'cheaper' cars ?

I've also had a few Imprezas through my hands and haven't had any major dramas. If you buy a good one to start with then the problems are far fewer.

The problem with most Imprezas is the owners. Many cars are owned by people who have no clue about how they work and what they require to be reliable. For instance, was chatting to a fella at the weekend who owns a classic. He fitted a few bolt on mods and turned the boost up. When I asked him who mapped it he replied with, "nobody, why do I need it mapping".......
And there is my point. Those type of cars will encounter serious issues and are worth very little. On the hand, well looked after cars and cars that have been owned by enthusiasts who actually understand them are worth a premium.
thats excatly the kind of person i bought my old one off, he put a bigger turbo onit,turned boost up,blew gearbox onit
Old 25 January 2012, 05:01 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

thats excatly the kind of person i bought my old one off, he put a bigger turbo onit,turned boost up,blew gearbox onit
And there is my point buddy..
These sort of Imprezas are worth very little. Good ones however are worth the extra initial cost.