Low speed shunt *sigh*

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2012, 10:16 AM
SteveMy96wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed shunt *sigh*

Dark blue prefacelift import WRX wagon.

This morning I was filtering in off a slip road and was looking over my shoulder, the guy in front didn't move off and I did - ****.

His car was fine so he waived it - on mine though there's a slight ripple/dent in the bumper and it's moved back slightly, a centimeter or so at a guess.
I've never had the bumper off before so don't really know how it's attached.
Question is what am I likely to have damaged? Do i need to replace the whole thing? What should I check for?
Also would I have to get a bumper off and import WRX to match or are they identical to UK models?

Cheers
Old 25 January 2012, 10:38 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

if its not cracked the paint id be tempted to get a heat gun out and see if it will smooth/move back.
Old 25 January 2012, 10:42 AM
SteveMy96wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
if its not cracked the paint id be tempted to get a heat gun out and see if it will smooth/move back.
No I't not cracked the paint. Cheers I'll certainly try that!

Last edited by SteveMy96wrx; 25 January 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 25 January 2012, 10:47 AM
JAPOLLY
Scooby Regular

i used to work in a bodyshop, depending on how fast you hit him is the worry,but to be honest subarus have a bumper support sat right behind the bumper which then is bolted to the chasis, by the sounds of it you have just damged your which is a very easy job, worse case is that youve damaged the bumper carrier which again is a easy fix, under the car there is 4 bolts to on each side on the chasis leg unbolt that and the whole bumper and carrier will come away, its very light metal and you can pick them up for around 35-40 quid second hand, but it does only sound like paint damaged or plastic,nothing major,the bumper can be repaired and painted on the car
hope this helps
Old 25 January 2012, 11:45 AM
SteveMy96wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAPOLLY
i used to work in a bodyshop, depending on how fast you hit him is the worry,but to be honest subarus have a bumper support sat right behind the bumper which then is bolted to the chasis, by the sounds of it you have just damged your which is a very easy job, worse case is that youve damaged the bumper carrier which again is a easy fix, under the car there is 4 bolts to on each side on the chasis leg unbolt that and the whole bumper and carrier will come away, its very light metal and you can pick them up for around 35-40 quid second hand, but it does only sound like paint damaged or plastic,nothing major,the bumper can be repaired and painted on the car
hope this helps
Thanks for the advice mate. It was very low speed since I was setting off from stationary, had a bit of power on but not much - I think you're right the bumper support might be a bit deformed - I presume you remove the bumper to straighten them rather than pulling it into shape on the car?
Old 25 January 2012, 01:50 PM
JAPOLLY
Scooby Regular

yeh just unbolt the whole thing and the two parts come off the car its alot easier to do off the car,once removed there are just a few black pin clips holding the support on the bumper very easy,if it is not repairable theres loads on ebay going for 40ish quid