Sponsored by:

Who ownes a scooby that they cant afford to drive

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2012, 08:57 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who ownes a scooby that they cant afford to drive

So money is quite tight at the moment, I live on my own, renting a house, with bills, food ect, i also have a van as daily runner, which is my main mode of transport as I do 600+ miles a week to and from work.
At the moment I cannot afford to run my scooby and it's breaking my heart, cars are my biggest love, and my scooby is my pride and joy, it's doing my head in having it sat in my parents garage doing nothing, but I just can't bring myself to sell it either, is there anybody else on scoobynet in a similar position ?

Tristan
Old 19 January 2012, 09:16 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

+ 1
Old 19 January 2012, 09:25 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope
Old 19 January 2012, 09:25 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

He'll yeah but out of principle i know that it's my main hobby, has been my dream car for years and not going to give up something that I get all this pleasure out of (albeit twice a week). Other things can drop!
Old 19 January 2012, 09:28 PM
type-rob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
Nope
Mean!
Old 19 January 2012, 09:29 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AWG_STi
He'll yeah but out of principle i know that it's my main hobby, has been my dream car for years and not going to give up something that I get all this pleasure out of (albeit twice a week). Other things can drop!
Same here!!!!

Sold my 1st scoob a few years ago thinking I couldnt afford it! I was wrong I could so I bought my current one.. Now I'm in the process of getting it running about 430 mark which ain't cheap!!!
But hey! It's my hobby
And I love doing what I do!!!!!

Craig
Old 19 January 2012, 09:34 PM
b3mwe
Scooby Regular

And me suffering really bad
Old 19 January 2012, 09:38 PM
jcool
Scooby Newbie

Feeling your pain - just forked out nearly 1k to get mine through the MOT, including doing a fair bit of work myself to try and save cash.

50,000 mile service due next month with cam belt change, trying not to think about that at the mo'
Old 19 January 2012, 09:41 PM
chrishigham
Scooby Regular

Using mine daily, lots of short trips to shop's, then to my son's nursery. Im filling up quite a lot and thats quite testing. plus £250 6 month tax due at the end of the month.
Old 19 January 2012, 09:54 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

My car takes up most of my expendable income so yes i can afford to run it, but i can't afford much else if that makes sense.

But i don't mind, i get a lot of pleasure out of the car and whilst it’s not preventing me from paying the mortgage, bills etc and the odd beer with friends it'll stay...even though it does mean I have to make sacrifices in other areas.
Old 19 January 2012, 09:59 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrishigham
Using mine daily, lots of short trips to shop's, then to my son's nursery. Im filling up quite a lot and thats quite testing. plus £250 6 month tax due at the end of the month.
OUCH!

At least you know it's going to a worthy cause, namely the quality of the roads in the UK.. not like we ate strewn with potholes and congestion.
Old 19 January 2012, 10:25 PM
eelz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cockney Wideboy
My car takes up most of my expendable income so yes i can afford to run it, but i can't afford much else if that makes sense.

But i don't mind, i get a lot of pleasure out of the car and whilst it’s not preventing me from paying the mortgage, bills etc and the odd beer with friends it'll stay...even though it does mean I have to make sacrifices in other areas.
bang on the money .
Old 19 January 2012, 11:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I can afford about one tank of fuel a month. After that, i'm on Shanks's pony.
Old 20 January 2012, 12:05 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't say I can't afford to run mine but on fuel it's a tad on the juicy side so the M3 is cheaper to run lol I must admit I hate taxing and insuring 2 group 20 cars though!
Old 20 January 2012, 12:29 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paulo P
Can't say I can't afford to run mine but on fuel it's a tad on the juicy side so the M3 is cheaper to run lol

I bet its more juicy than an M3 as its 420ish ponies

Old 20 January 2012, 12:54 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mantazini

I bet its more juicy than an M3 as its 420ish ponies

You honestly don't want to know mate! I started using the M3 3 weeks ago and I've already saved a fortune in fuel! It's not as much fun though but 150 miles to a tank was taking the ****
Old 20 January 2012, 02:22 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I live on my own in a 3 bed house and my Scooby is my only car and so far I`m ok
Old 20 January 2012, 02:31 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try being 21 and trying to insure one lol.

Kidney and liver for sale...Can come with optional ******** if required? Lol
Old 20 January 2012, 08:13 AM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Ha, this would be me. Our main supplier did not pay us since November last year. Had to sorn my car last week. Thankfully just waiting for the cheque to clear so should be back on the road. Good luck fella.
Old 20 January 2012, 08:22 AM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

I sometimes wonder why when spending £100 a week ish on fuel but then I actually get out and drive her and think it's worth it
Old 20 January 2012, 09:01 AM
STEVEBOXER
Scooby Regular

Due to work I cxn only drive my scooby once a week but it makes me smile when I do and it helps me chill!
I have had to sell a few of my pride and joys when I've needed the money especially last year when my wife was diagnosed with cancer, things are on the up now and hopefully I can keep the scooby!!!
Old 20 January 2012, 09:14 AM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Good topic this. I justify the fuel by telling myself its my hobby. And we need hobbies don't we? It's not my first scoob so coming back into ownership I was prepared for the fact that you will generally have to dish out for something EVERY month.. wether it be mods, tax, tyres or insurance.. accept that and it doesn't become as much of a shock!
Old 20 January 2012, 09:30 AM
averyp2
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought mine in Sept last year, drove it straight home where its parked since! I knew it would be the case due to buying a first home, times being hard at work etc but at least it gives me an incentive to work hard to get it back on the road in the spring. Worst part is it is in perfect working order, i start it up regularly but cant drive it anywhere as its sorn. Bring on the summer!
Old 20 January 2012, 09:35 AM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STEVEBOXER
Due to work I cxn only drive my scooby once a week but it makes me smile when I do and it helps me chill!
I have had to sell a few of my pride and joys when I've needed the money especially last year when my wife was diagnosed with cancer, things are on the up now and hopefully I can keep the scooby!!!
Hope better luck is thrown your way this year buddy
Old 20 January 2012, 10:04 AM
YE5 1 SUB
Scooby Regular

we got an evo and subaru, the renewal just come back at 1700 fully comp with full no claims?
thats with all mods declared on both cars,and track days.
both only 118 to tax though lol

do the servicing myself to save some cash though
Old 20 January 2012, 10:28 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Can't understand why people buy these kind of cars if money is tight.
Just seems crazy to me that people are willing to sacrifice other important things in their life for a car.
Yes they are great fun and I wouldn't be without mine but fortunately I do not have money issues so owning a performance car is no problem. If I was not quite so fortunate then there is no chance I'd drive/own a vehicle which breaks my bank.
I also find it rediculous how people take out huge finance deals for a car. I was always brought up with the saying 'you don't have what you can't afford'.
If you can not afford to purchase/own/drive a certain vehicle then don't have it, save up or wait until your financial situation can withstand an expensive car.

I understand why people take out these finance deals and I will admit I was tempted when I was a young lad. The chance to drive a posh car away with a small deposit and a monthly charge is almost impossible to resist. But you need to look ahead and ask if you could afford the payments if you lost your income.
Old 20 January 2012, 02:10 PM
Micheru
Scooby Regular

Can't say I've given up anything for my car as I started working full time out of uni the same time I got it off the old man, so I've had fixed costs each month for petrol. Only things that pushed me have been a new set of tyres at £120 a corner and insurance £1.1k.

I'm probably lucky that there hasn't been more but it's only done 75k miles, the old man and myself have been the only owners since import and he spared no cost.
As it's an everyday driver I try not to drive it hard on commutes and have a bit more heavy foot action at the weekends.

I wouldn't consider buying on finance until I'm on around £40k with a nice wedge in the bank
Old 20 January 2012, 03:57 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

To be honest, if the Scoob was our only car I'd have traded it long ago due to running costs.

I'm lucky enough to carshare with a guy from work so it's only used 2 weeks a month and trips to the shops etc are all done in the wife's Clio.

I have had it 5 years 2 months now, don't think I could bear life without without it really.
Old 20 January 2012, 04:08 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty lucky as it go's with cars as I run a garage with my father and the insurance is very low indeed[£285 fully comp on the scoob] and obviously working on it is cheap,BUT i have to say if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have one due to the monsterous running costs in this day and age.

That said I have to admit to having 4 cars at present[not including works cars] which is just silly so I will be getting rid of 2 this year shortly.
Old 20 January 2012, 04:14 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
I'm pretty lucky as it go's with cars as I run a garage with my father and the insurance is very low indeed[£285 fully comp on the scoob] and obviously working on it is cheap,BUT i have to say if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have one due to the monsterous running costs in this day and age.

That said I have to admit to having 4 cars at present[not including works cars] which is just silly so I will be getting rid of 2 this year shortly.
show off

Quick Reply: Who ownes a scooby that they cant afford to drive