A second scooby as a track weapon

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2012, 02:44 PM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A second scooby as a track weapon

Hi,

Going to put this one out there...see what people think.

I currently have a 04 blob wrx with a few bits done on it but not much. Have kept it pretty standard as I rely on it to always be working. This is probably why I havent done much to it as I need it to be reliable.

I'm looking to start doing lots of UK track days this year and possibly a trip to Spa and the ring and have been looking at getting a 2nd car for just this purpose. Do any of you guys run 2 or even more scoobs for different purposes.

The prices of some of the older scoobs is SO cheap I can hardly believe my eyes. There are WRX's going for a grand and STI's from 2 grand upwards.

I want something to learn to track drive properly in as I always ***** foot about a bit and dont really go for it. Bit of a Sunday driver on track really. Any tracks to start out at such as Bedford, Snetterton etc etc

What do you guys run and anything to watch out for when purchasing something so cheap. I'm looking at a classic shape, possibly a type ra or sti if my funds allow. I have read through some of the projects on here but cannot join in at this level yet as my knowledge of mechanics/Subaru's is crap to say the least.

Blimey I do rattle on. Will anyone actually read this...let alone reply.
Old 18 January 2012, 02:47 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Yeah Stu '53' has a collection hopefully he'll post some tips
Old 18 January 2012, 02:51 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a similar idea to you last year, purchase an old car and use it as a track weapon.
i looked at loads of classics, most of them claimed to be 350/400 bhp and nearly all had next to no mods,proof of mapping and lies of uprated parts.

i gave up in the end and am spending the money on my road impreza to make it a track/fast road car.

but my impreza isnt my everyday car though.
Old 18 January 2012, 02:53 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i paid 3300 for my v4 sti ra 2 years ago so probably get em cheaper now, a standard one is a very good track car, you wouldnt have to do too much to get a very quick car especially round the twisties and coming out of bends.

hmmm just thought i actually know someones who got a wrx which is tatty but has alot of good mods, ie simtek, suspension etc, i think he wants about 2k for it. its already set-up for track use
Old 18 January 2012, 03:04 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep an eye out in the FS section & Pistonheads as you'll never know what will come up. I sold my track focused 95 RA on here a couple of years ago and that was well sorted out inc APs, Teins, 300 bhp, cage/harness etc - £4k

Bedford is a good learners track as well as any airfield day, though these may be harsher on tyres. But you should be ok on any track day on a race track - its driver improvement so only go as fast as you are comfortable with. Hire an ARDs instructor when you are there to help you.

I see you're in Herts - Zak @ Mocom (Harrow Weald) is a good source of information as he's been tracking scoobs for over 10 years & now builds/repairs them.
Old 18 January 2012, 05:20 PM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
i had a similar idea to you last year, purchase an old car and use it as a track weapon.
i looked at loads of classics, most of them claimed to be 350/400 bhp and nearly all had next to no mods,proof of mapping and lies of uprated parts.

i gave up in the end and am spending the money on my road impreza to make it a track/fast road car.

but my impreza isnt my everyday car though.
Know what you mean. I have read some horror stories by way of the lancerregister about some traders offering cars with mods and a nice low mileage that turn out to be worthless. Im sure there are some good ones out there.

I did have good intention of turning my current car into something but its always filthy and has many a trolley dink and the like on it.

Just want something I can keep in the garage, nice and pristine and then just roll it out for events. My car looks like it has come off a rally stage all year round mainly due to where I work. It disheartens me to clean it for hours on end only for it to look filthy the next day.
Old 18 January 2012, 05:28 PM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Keep an eye out in the FS section & Pistonheads as you'll never know what will come up. I sold my track focused 95 RA on here a couple of years ago and that was well sorted out inc APs, Teins, 300 bhp, cage/harness etc - £4k

Bedford is a good learners track as well as any airfield day, though these may be harsher on tyres. But you should be ok on any track day on a race track - its driver improvement so only go as fast as you are comfortable with. Hire an ARDs instructor when you are there to help you.

I see you're in Herts - Zak @ Mocom (Harrow Weald) is a good source of information as he's been tracking scoobs for over 10 years & now builds/repairs them.
Any track with plenty of run offs which I assume Bedford has. I have driven the ring quite a few times but with hardly any run offs and the odd damp patch here and there, plus 100's of German maniacs I have never really given it 100% round there. Brands hatch short circuit looked quite forgiving as well. I will be putting my name down for a couple of sessions during japfest for sure. Seeing some of the crashes there though it can bite back.

Thanks for the info. That's good to know about the guy in Harrow.

Trending Topics

Old 18 January 2012, 05:29 PM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AWG_STi
Yeah Stu '53' has a collection hopefully he'll post some tips
Old 18 January 2012, 05:43 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

I have 2 scoobs, one a daily driver and the other for track use
I try to get in 5 track days a year with other scooby owners
We are off to Snetterton in Feb
Have a look in the Middlesex section for info
https://www.scoobynet.com/middlesex-...eb-2012-a.html
https://www.scoobynet.com/middlesex-...ur-2012-a.html
Old 19 January 2012, 10:51 AM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
I have 2 scoobs, one a daily driver and the other for track use
I try to get in 5 track days a year with other scooby owners
We are off to Snetterton in Feb
Have a look in the Middlesex section for info
https://www.scoobynet.com/middlesex-...eb-2012-a.html
https://www.scoobynet.com/middlesex-...ur-2012-a.html
I might have to pop along to that although I will still be in my old shed. When do I need to put my name down/pay by.
Old 19 January 2012, 11:06 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by jlarcombe
Thanks for the info. That's good to know about the guy in Harrow.
North Weald I meant
Old 19 January 2012, 11:20 AM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
North Weald I meant
No problem.
Old 19 January 2012, 11:59 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ really ? personally I wouldn't rate him at all, awful outfit !

My advice, currently own 3 scoobs

STi Spec D 335/375, slightly modified but concentrating on handling mods...spent a fair sum but nothing stupid...

1995 Wagon STi, track focused but keep breaking gearboxes at 320/320. have spent a small fortune Have just bought a 6 speed for it £1500. But you need to add up things like Brembo conversions £600, wheels/tyres £650, FMIC £300, Mapping etc etc etc...

1995 WRX, c.320 perfect gonna track it this Feb but only the once wanna keep this tidy for the road

Done 2 track days in the Spec D and it performed great, I did feel at Brands that the wagon would have been more fun but at Snetterton the Spec D flew !

If I were giving advice to myself, I would crack on and track the newage Your Blob is worth c.£4k which is less than a classic track car is gonna cost you doing it properly, and even then there will be more to spend If you break it on track you will get some pay out, and you will lose no where near what you'll need to spend going the classic route.

You are better off buying a 5k newage bug STi and tracking that. DO NOT underestimate the cost of running a track car, especially a classic. The purchase prices are cheap but they are wholly misleading to what you need to spend in spec and upkeep.

My advice don't do it, enjoy what you have for what it is, track cars are nice but they will eat every penny

Last edited by 53; 23 January 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: @Puff, I am not a 'tuner' and have no commercial interest other than having had awful service @ Mocom:) No rules broken :)
Old 19 January 2012, 12:04 PM
Scooby Senior

P.S. Snetterton 300 is an awesome beginners track loads of us will be there on the 26th Feb should you wanna come down WRX's are great cars, don't underestimate what you can get out of it on track
Old 20 January 2012, 09:47 AM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Oh bugger, you've got me torn now.

Dont know what to do now. I did purchase some bits last year and had arranged for Neil at Slowboy to do the honours...but ran out of cash. Then changed my plans.

So buying a cheap classic could turn into a money pit then. I'm sure there are some sorted classics out there with money spent on mods that go cheaply. But finding one in amongst all the crap will be difficult.
Old 20 January 2012, 09:55 AM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
P.S. Snetterton 300 is an awesome beginners track loads of us will be there on the 26th Feb should you wanna come down WRX's are great cars, don't underestimate what you can get out of it on track
Just had a look on the net, didn't even know they were doing anything. That looks good. Will have to come along now.

Need to get those budget tyres off the motor now.
Old 20 January 2012, 10:00 AM
Scooby Senior

open pit lane so you can come and go as you please
Old 20 January 2012, 03:14 PM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
open pit lane so you can come and go as you please
Nice, do you know when the closing date for registering/paying is.

Right where is Mikey with his spec d. About time he gave it a good seeing too. Will see if I can drag him along (IN HIS OWN CAR THIS TIME)
Old 20 January 2012, 04:30 PM
Scooby Senior

http://opentrack.co.uk/products/2578...-26-02-12.aspx

Old 20 January 2012, 08:06 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

you need to know where to look mate for classics, theres plenty of good uns about
Old 20 January 2012, 09:44 PM
STiLtd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jlarcombe

Right where is Mikey with his spec d. About time he gave it a good seeing too. Will see if I can drag him along (IN HIS OWN CAR THIS TIME)
Moi?
Old 23 January 2012, 11:16 AM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STiLtd
Moi?
Yes you. Got that suspension sorted yet. About time your car was driven in anger instead of being pampered and sitting in your garage.
Old 23 January 2012, 01:26 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

I run 2scoobs,only because my dog didnt like the sound of the gt35 when it started spooling up.so i bought a blob wagon as a daily runner.nice and quiet and the dog loves it :-)
Old 24 January 2012, 09:58 AM
Larky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
I run 2scoobs,only because my dog didnt like the sound of the gt35 when it started spooling up.so i bought a blob wagon as a daily runner.nice and quiet and the dog loves it :-)
Do you have them insured under a multi car policy or are they insured individually. I did ask Keith Michaels about this last year and I'm sure they said they dont. The only companies that seem to do multi car policies want these sort of cars to have a tracker on.

Really dont know what to do. Could definitely track my current car but will need something else for daily driver as I need so much work to get my car ready for events everytime. I could wash it every day and it would still look filthy.

Car looks good by the way, you got the look of it just right.