Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you own Subarus and never drive it, I mean really drive it ???

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2012, 09:34 AM
rich666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you own Subarus and never drive it, I mean really drive it ???

Why is it sum 1 puts a post up saying they have driven there car a little hard wether it be fast , sideways ect ect , sum 1 has a moan are u telling me that u own a Subaru and uve Neva put ur foot down u have never thought hmm I wounder if it will drift in the snow . So my ??? Is who owns 1 but neva breaks the law in it just a little ??? ie ova taking at speed , little race now and then ect ect

Not trying to cause an argument on here it just seems that if u do give it sum people moan n take the p...s n u get slated

: )
Old 14 January 2012, 09:45 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it when someone puts a post up saying they have driven their car a little hard whether it be fast, sideways etc etc, someone has a moan. Are you telling me that you own a Subaru and you've never put your foot down you have never thought hmm I wounder if it will drift in the snow. So my question is, who owns one but never breaks the law in it just a little??? ie overtaking at speed, a little race now and then etc etc

Not trying to cause an argument on here it just seems that if you do give it some, people moan and take the p...s and you get slated

So to start with, i've sorted out your "text" speech (its not really a popular move putting it up, atleast use wordpad or another/similar grammar helper if you are not that good with spelling or you will be slated for that ) (plus us oldies dont do text speak )

I don't think (with the exception of PSLewis of course ) that anyone is perfect in their subaru, we all open them up now and again, but you still get numpties that try to slide their cars on the main road in the wet, overtake at the most inopportune moment (blind bends, crests of hills), and generally give subaru owners a bad name.
Its not just subaru owners though, you get your average 1.2/1.4ltr corsa owner doing the same thing, trying to keep up with you when your not even trying and think they are gods gift, those you just let past and normally pass them later when they have been caught in a speed trap or ended up in a ditch

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 14 January 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 14 January 2012, 09:48 AM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

Usually because there's a time and a place to do things like that. I.e not through the town or in the streets.

I'm sure everybody on here has a play on open national speed limit rds ect. Anybody that says they don't is lying imo.

Although most scooby i see are ragging it round town!!
Old 14 January 2012, 10:12 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bit difficult for me to open her up.

450bhp and 35mph speed limits
Old 14 January 2012, 10:12 AM
rich666
Scooby Regular

Ok maybe I should off just asked the question and not had a rant : )
Old 14 January 2012, 10:22 AM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

About 6 weeks ago I was watching top gear,when I noticed 2 people on my drive looking at my car.I thought what's going on here?
I went outside and was greeted with CID and they wanted to ask a few questions about my car.
They wanted to know where the car was on 2 previous days,and said that 2 incidents had occured involving a white scooby,and they were visiting all registered white impreza owners in the area.
Now they wanted a closer look at the car,I moved it forward because they wanted to see the back for some reason.Luckily they were after a 4 door with white wheels,and mine is a 2 door with gold wheels so they apologised and thanked me for my time and that was that.

Roll forward 3 weeks ago and I spotted a white uk 2000 that I drive past sometimes,which was parked up so I went over to say hello.Asked him if he'd had a visit and he said "yeah the barstuards locked me up and took my car for 3 days".Looking at his car it had loads of stickers on the back,blue led's on the wipers and in the door cards,most of the dash hanging out,a gear stick that he'd cut down so there was about 2 inches left with no gear ***."it's me quick shift mate.Over 300bhp this clutch can't take the power though"
When he drove off he tried a full throttle start and it gently pulled away,clutch slipping in every gear.

I love to have a play when there's nothing about and love playing in the snow and having the odd race,but things like saxos,106's ect I just let them past and ignore it.
This guy though was a propper chav and that's what a lot of impreza owners are like round here.
When he drove off I thought why did he have to buy a white impreza,why not something else.Everytime I drive past a cop car now you can feel them looking and I kind of wish I'd picked a different colour now.

Sorry for the long post.

Danny.
Old 14 January 2012, 10:26 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rich666
Why is it sum 1 puts a post up saying they have driven there car a little hard wether it be fast , sideways ect ect , sum 1 has a moan are u telling me that u own a Subaru and uve Neva put ur foot down u have never thought hmm I wounder if it will drift in the snow . So my ??? Is who owns 1 but neva breaks the law in it just a little ??? ie ova taking at speed , little race now and then ect ect

Not trying to cause an argument on here it just seems that if u do give it sum people moan n take the p...s n u get slated

Are you saying that we should actually encourage people to break the law and drive in a reckless manner, and then applaud them for their efforts, and all on a public forum?

What you seem to be suggesting is that you drive like a loon, and then come on here and brag about it and hope for a pat on the back

We're not all angels on here, but scoobynet doesn't exist for the purpose of promoting bad driving. As said there's a time and a place for pushing the limits.
Old 14 January 2012, 10:28 AM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

As already posted, there is a time and place for spirited driving and sadly 9/10 when someone posts up one of these threads the OP winds up sounding like a complete **** and either putting other road users lives at risk or he comes across as the kind of person that we detest- Young, arrogant, and believes that he can beat anything on the road because he thinks the Impreza is invinsible.

The Subaru's popularity in the 90's has turned out to be one of it's downfalls today. I hate the feeling that when i am out in the scoob all the other road users are thinking " look at that chavs car" just because it's a Subaru, 10yrs ago i didn't feel that as everyone was in awe of these cars as they was seen as a World Rally car. Unafortunately these days they are viewed as chavs cars and nothing will change that now

Last edited by L.J.F; 14 January 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 14 January 2012, 10:38 AM
rich666
Scooby Regular

Not at all infact I drive rather slow around my area due to it being a small town , but I admit now and then I do open it up on a nice open road n like to have a little play but round twn I stick to the limits , not trying to encourage breaking the but it just seems alot of people make out they are angels
Old 14 January 2012, 10:39 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It's been nine months since I could even think of trying to drive it properly...

dunx

P.S. If you want to go fast do a trackday, it's far more fun when there's no-one (with blue lights) chasing you / driving at you...
Old 14 January 2012, 10:39 AM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

I treat my car with a lot of mechanical sympathy....I always allow the car to full warm up before letting the turbo come on song, I wait for the defi's to read 90degreesC on the oil temp and then start winding it up slowly...I don't par take in full bore starts, I couldn't afford to replace the diffs, gearbox or clutch. I have never tried to drift it round a roundabout or a corner as my driving skills won't allow that.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it when the opportunity arises and its "safe" to do so....my Impreza doesn't hang about in the peak district and the power is ideal for over taking so why not use it (if its safe to do so)....the Brembo's and grip and traction also get a good work out.

Guess everyone is different and everyone has a different driving ability...I know that I never get 100% out of my Impreza...but I get a 100% out of my driving ability…

Last edited by Cockney Wideboy; 14 January 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 14 January 2012, 10:45 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rich666

Duz diz include racin' and dounuts ova at de local supermarket an de MickieDeez carparks???
Old 14 January 2012, 11:00 AM
uk300_kev
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L.J.F
As already posted, there is a time and place for spirited driving and sadly 9/10 when someone posts up one of these threads the OP winds up sounding like a complete **** and either putting other road users lives at risk or he comes across as the kind of person that we detest- Young, arrogant, and believes that he can beat anything on the road because he thinks the Impreza is invinsible.

The Subaru's popularity in the 90's has turned out to be one of it's downfalls today. I hate the feeling that when i am out in the scoob all the other road users are thinking " look at that chavs car" just because it's a Subaru, 10yrs ago i didn't feel that as everyone was in awe of these cars as they was seen as a World Rally car. Unafortunately these days they are viewed as chavs cars and nothing will change that now
Totally agree here.

This is my first scoob (honda nut) and i know that the majority of people look a my car and judge me lol. Even tho it's a totally std uk300

Not that it bothers me in the slightest, i enjoy driving it and love the attention, good or bad.
Old 14 January 2012, 11:05 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I think once you've been on a couple of track days, you realise how long it takes to stop etc once you've lost control, or even how much road width etc you need to correct a slide in a corner even if you manage to catch a "larger" moment.

I'm not saying I never have a play with myself (ooh er) when the roads are empty and I'm out of town, but you have got to have respect for these cars or there's a strong likelihood of causing far too many near misses near other "random" road users who don't do what you anticipated them to do. One too many near misses may lead to something that isn't a near miss anymore.

I'm not a road saint, but there's a place and a time, and it's usually 9am on a racing circuit or *possibly* at 11pm on an empty road without houses, pedestrian pavements, with *open* corners you can see through etc etc.

My opinions have changed somewhat over my 13 years of driving about what is safe as well. I used to do stuff I wouldn't dream of doing now as a "mature" 32 year old, and the places I do occasionally have a blat in have a set of much stricter criteria now than they used to do.

I still hugely enjoy driving, though, even within the speed limit. E.g. I love driving down twisty roads and actually trying to hit the apex and exit with a perfect curve of no steering movement after the initial turn in - getting a corner right is a massive thrill (ok, I'm really sad ). Don't need to go fast to do it, but it's improved my track driving no end.
Old 14 January 2012, 11:07 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I.e. so what I mean is, try to find thrills other than going super fast everywhere - it's possible, and probably much safer
Old 14 January 2012, 11:13 AM
stealthy55
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jd5217
bit difficult for me to open her up.

450bhp and 35mph speed limits
why 450 then?
Old 14 January 2012, 08:27 PM
craigfturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Im sellin up, purely because i get non stop harassment from the police.
Its got to the point where if a plod car sees me the blue lights come on an im on the side of the road.I cant even get to the shop for a pint of milk 9/10. I have no criminal record, my licence is clean, i have never claimed on insurance for ANYTHING, i have never had a crash or so much as a touch, i drive with due care and attention and consideration for other road users.... Yet im subjected to this.... Why??? The police claim they have to stopcheck me because "these cars are used in jobs"

For me the feel of the car is enough and the fact that it handles so good

I used to like my car, i hate it now....

Looks likely ill be an audi or BMW w#*ker v soon....
Old 14 January 2012, 08:46 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

I like to drive my car properly, when the conditions allow it, and the fun factor is the main reason I bought an impreza, I'd say my road skill are pretty savvy, but I don't try to out do myself, I think you need to know what point your skills run out, and enough is enough. For most people an imprezas talent will go alot further than the drivers talent.
Old 14 January 2012, 09:59 PM
jh1-2009
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigfturbo2000
Its got to the point where if a plod car sees me the blue lights come on an im on the side of the road.I cant even get to the shop for a pint of milk 9/10. I have no criminal record, my licence is clean, i have never claimed on insurance for ANYTHING, i have never had a crash or so much as a touch, i drive with due care and attention and consideration for other road users.... Yet im subjected to this.... Why??? The police claim they have to stopcheck me because "these cars are used in jobs"

I,ve had my scoob for 8 years and never been stopped. There must be another reason your getting stopped so often. It can,t be because of the car surely..
Mind you i did manage a nice drift this morning though if i,d been spotted by the cops i,d of blamed the frost..
Old 14 January 2012, 10:05 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
I think once you've been on a couple of track days, you realise how long it takes to stop etc once you've lost control, or even how much road width etc you need to correct a slide in a corner even if you manage to catch a "larger" moment.

I'm not saying I never have a play with myself (ooh er) when the roads are empty and I'm out of town, but you have got to have respect for these cars or there's a strong likelihood of causing far too many near misses near other "random" road users who don't do what you anticipated them to do. One too many near misses may lead to something that isn't a near miss anymore.

I'm not a road saint, but there's a place and a time, and it's usually 9am on a racing circuit or *possibly* at 11pm on an empty road without houses, pedestrian pavements, with *open* corners you can see through etc etc.

My opinions have changed somewhat over my 13 years of driving about what is safe as well. I used to do stuff I wouldn't dream of doing now as a "mature" 32 year old, and the places I do occasionally have a blat in have a set of much stricter criteria now than they used to do.

I still hugely enjoy driving, though, even within the speed limit. E.g. I love driving down twisty roads and actually trying to hit the apex and exit with a perfect curve of no steering movement after the initial turn in - getting a corner right is a massive thrill (ok, I'm really sad ). Don't need to go fast to do it, but it's improved my track driving no end.
Old 14 January 2012, 10:10 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, most of us give our cars a good thrash from time-to-time.

Most of us don't feel the need to boast about it on an internet forum though.
Old 14 January 2012, 10:15 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Can hand on my heart say my Scooby doesnt go over 65mph well it can do BUT being im on license number 4 im in no hurry whatsoever to lose it for something as silly as speeding on a public road....

Saying that i just punted an 06 ZXR 636 so im not innocent
My mate took me out in his Type R a few weeks ago and taught me that Subarus are absolute machines on the backroads , i used to think i was quite lairy on our private wee 14 mile track "in the Highlands and Islands BTW" i was educated to a whole new realm of sheer 4WD and power = Masses of grip and the fact the jesus handle was missing i was one very frightened boy at some stages !

Last edited by abbott; 14 January 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 14 January 2012, 10:29 PM
craigfturbo2000
Scooby Regular

I would love to know why
Old 14 January 2012, 10:29 PM
Tommy2396
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Duz diz include racin' and dounuts ova at de local supermarket an de MickieDeez carparks???

Get a grip Richard
Old 15 January 2012, 08:37 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stealthy55
why 450 then?

errrrmmmm

Charity hillclimb this year

http://www.heritage.co.gg/page/view-...rity-hillclimb
Old 15 January 2012, 09:49 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by craigfturbo2000

I call bullsh1t the local police may stop you once possibly twice but if all your documents are shown to be in order i doubt they would keep stopping you unless your driving like a ****.
Old 15 January 2012, 10:05 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

I tend only to drive mine hard in the spring/summer months in sprint competition. When your giving a good thrashing of road i find i dont feel the need to on road. I dont know why more people dont get involved in sprinting. A standard car with a few small things adjusted like taping the battery earth lead and an on/off sticker by the key is all thats needed in a road going class. Oh and ofcourse overalls and a helmet.
Old 15 January 2012, 10:18 AM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
I call bullsh1t the local police may stop you once possibly twice but if all your documents are shown to be in order i doubt they would keep stopping you unless your driving like a ****.
Totally agree coming up for 4 years ownership touch wood not been pulled once, I expected I would get pulled over being only 22 when I got the Impreza, as most have said tasking town and built up areas I stick to limits ( I like to just here the engine note :-) If I want to go for a drive then it's on some B roads nothing silly just enjoying the twisties etc would never push more than I feel comfatable with,
Old 15 January 2012, 10:19 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I've never been pulled and I have owned the car for 4 1/2 years. A few months of that was with a Blitz Nur Spec fitted!
Old 15 January 2012, 10:35 AM
rich666
Scooby Regular

My old classic was louder than most scoobys I've seen and I Neva got pulled over , just a few complaints from the people in my street lol

Quick Reply: How many of you own Subarus and never drive it, I mean really drive it ???