Sponsored by:

lpg power

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2011, 08:32 PM
Wolf_gsxr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lpg power

hi lads. new to the forum and am just about to by myself a classic impreza turbo and was wondering about lpg'ing it. ive done some searching and it seems you loose power and there not very highly rated yet my mate has an evo which was running 376bhp then when he gassed it and mapped it again he made 400. the mapper told him it was because of the higher octane of the lpg (110 i think). so im abit undecided. is it safe on the scooby engine and will it take power from it? cheers
Old 14 December 2011, 08:44 PM
UKDMWRX
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the forum mate.

I'd also like to know the answer to this! Who's running LPG on their scoob?
Old 14 December 2011, 08:46 PM
Wolf_gsxr
Scooby Regular

cheers mate. i know a lad with a legacy b4 running on gas and he says its great but i dunno if there the same boxer engine. all i no is its a twin bi-turbo and it goes like ****.
Old 14 December 2011, 09:44 PM
UKDMWRX
Scooby Regular

If i'm right the B4 (manual) uses an EJ20 engine from an STi running around 280bhp as standard.
Old 14 December 2011, 10:16 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolf_gsxr
hi lads. new to the forum and am just about to by myself a classic impreza turbo and was wondering about lpg'ing it. ive done some searching and it seems you loose power and there not very highly rated yet my mate has an evo which was running 376bhp then when he gassed it and mapped it again he made 400. the mapper told him it was because of the higher octane of the lpg (110 i think). so im abit undecided. is it safe on the scooby engine and will it take power from it? cheers
but less calory then petrol = less power about 10%
i owe onewith lpg kit from 1.5year and still good ,will go on lpg service after christmas
Old 14 December 2011, 10:25 PM
Wolf_gsxr
Scooby Regular

Even when mapped for it. My mate got a 25hp gain on his evo when it was mapped for it. Maybe it just because it's not a boxer engine. Apart from flashlube I didn't think they needed servicing. Apart from different type of plugs. Cheers for the replies.
Old 14 December 2011, 10:57 PM
Wolf_gsxr
Scooby Regular

Oh also is it sequential as I've known a few cars that when you floor it the system can't handle it and it flicks back to petrol. Just thinking of the turbo boost. Not a great deal of point if every time it hits boost it throws a wobbler and goes to petrol.
Old 14 December 2011, 11:37 PM
Paul83b
Scooby Regular

I run my Daily driver (Subaru forester 2.0 XT turbo (2004)) on LPG and its fine. i get 28mpg on petrol and more of a punch than on gas, on gas it does 25mpg and i think loses between 10% and 20% of its power but obviously the gas is half the price so equivilent of 50mpg. Theres no difference to the noise or anything else on gas and ive never had any problems.

On full boost you dont get quite as much grunt that you do on petrol but it doesnt flick back over to petrol unless the LPG tanks nearly empty and you boot it. Its an awesome daily driver... but it is standard power wise! i think if it was tuned it wouldnt be quite so happy on LPG. Hope that helps
Old 15 December 2011, 12:21 AM
Wolf_gsxr
Scooby Regular

thats great. made my mind up. cheers lads
Old 15 December 2011, 12:23 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolf_gsxr
Even when mapped for it. My mate got a 25hp gain on his evo when it was mapped for it. Maybe it just because it's not a boxer engine. Apart from flashlube I didn't think they needed servicing. Apart from different type of plugs. Cheers for the replies.
plugs stay the same and engine oil to not every what they say is true-show must go on
i mean lpg service like change filter,check bolts,lines,take it on spin and have a look on map after(my is mapped the same map as shows on petrol),i have no idea why i can fill now 40 litres lpg not like before 56-54 on 60l can.
mainly parts; if you change parts for petrol which are good up to 360bhp like injectors but better injectors and vaporizer for lpg then You have answer why he has 25bhp more on lpg.