Sponsored by:

Outback Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2011, 07:06 PM
ShouldIScooby?
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outback Dilemma

Considering buying a diesel 2008 Outback 2.0 REN with 75,000 miles on the clock. I really need this car for unmade roads and 4WD ability without the 'tank image' of a Quashqai, Kuga, Rav, CRV or likewise. I also like the fact it has a spare wheel tucked away! Has anybody got any serious reservations about this car and the mileage? All regular service Subaru stamps in the book, but a new crankshaft at 36,000. Should I consider an independent warranty? I appreciate that it's ultimately my decision, my gamble etc, but an opinion would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 01 November 2011, 09:40 PM
scoobyraj
Scooby Regular

How much??
My brothers just bought a legacy outback! Abso fantastic!! No reservations.
Not sure about specifics though. Hold their price less well than a forester so I've heard so should be a better buy as the buyer.
After market warranty.....avoid WarrantyWise!!! -no end of grief with them.
Old 01 November 2011, 09:50 PM
ShouldIScooby?
Scooby Newbie

£12,000. The problem is we read so much about costly engine/flywheel failures, and that amount doesn't leave us much to pay out with. In my opinion, ALL warranties are licences to wriggle.
Old 02 November 2011, 12:05 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I`ve got a gen IV Legacy sportswagon D Ren; love its economy plus Litchfield remap. £ 12000 seems a bit high for something that has not been looked after in the past. You`ve got to check oil pretty often and Subaru made a point of this when it was sold to me. Comfortable for long journeys; I did 4000 miles to Gib and back this summer. Milage should be fine, just that previous history. Are all stamps done close to when they should have been done? They do sound like a bag of spanners when cold at 2500rpm, but drive better for being thrashed a bit. Great cars, especially with the outback`s off road ability.
Old 02 November 2011, 12:16 AM
ShouldIScooby?
Scooby Newbie

Yes, all the services were close to the recommended. What makes you think it hasn't been looked after? The crankshaft?

Thanks for the tip regarding the oil.
Old 02 November 2011, 08:41 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The crankshaft was a torque issue when the boxer diesels were first built, the problem being they wernt torqued correctly or tight enough and the rear main gave way hammering the bearing. Subaru introduced a new tightening procedure to stop this happening so shouldnt be an issue anymore. the flywheels very very rarely give us as a dealer any issues to be truthfull. Make sure all the ecu updates have been done on the car & ask questions if its had the egr valve replaced to the latest level part as the early models were prone to soot fouling the shaft and making it stick open causing running problems.
Old 02 November 2011, 09:06 PM
ShouldIScooby?
Scooby Newbie

Many thanks for that valuable info rob84.