Sponsored by:

First impreza turbo hunt help and advice

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2011, 03:10 PM
5cooby1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First impreza turbo hunt help and advice

Hi as I no longer have my gsxr I need four wheels and love imprezas but never took the plunge.

Few questions to owners using it as a daily car.

How many miles do you get from say £50 fuel and whats a full tank cost and last?

My comute is around 15miles a day I know its a high performance car but do need to see how practical they are.

Service costs and routine prices and time scales.

Im looking at models from 1998 1999 2000 ones.

Whats the common faults on these as now there older.

Lastly insurance costs im 27 will this be resonable did go compare for a rough generated quote not to bad would like to know your costs and companys used.

Many thanks
Old 25 October 2011, 03:50 PM
eugmul
Scooby Regular

You should take the plunge , definitely wont regret it.

Most will probably say that if your worried about fuel/running costs then maybe a scooby is not for you, pah I say lol.

I reccently got a 1996 WRX import, with a few modifactions. My insurance was about 800FC mods declared, had a GTi6 before and it went up 300 so not too bad.I used Admiral, as I was with them beforehand. Try Adrian Flux and Chris Knott.

I use Tesco 99ron, priced about £1.39 from empty the tank would cost around £65-70. I generally dont let it go below 1/4 tank and I get around 200 miles to 3/4 and it costs between £45-50 to brim it. I think most people say the scooby will give you mid to late 20's mpg wise, however if you drive it hard alot you can physically watch the needle drop lol but its all about the 'smiles to the gallon' anyway lol.

As for servcing, the costs vary depending on where you take it to.Best thing is have an ask on here and see where local people recommend and take theirs. Ive been quoted £50 for oil/filter change, around £150-200 full service.

Faults Ive had so are are water hoses perishing, due to age but rectified with a full silicone kit from a forum member for £65. Also my fuel pump gave up, on there from new so I uprated mine, cost £120ish an took a couple hours to fit.

Hope this helps do it, you wont regret it
Old 25 October 2011, 04:02 PM
5cooby1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eugmul
You should take the plunge , definitely wont regret it.

Most will probably say that if your worried about fuel/running costs then maybe a scooby is not for you, pah I say lol.

I reccently got a 1996 WRX import, with a few modifactions. My insurance was about 800FC mods declared, had a GTi6 before and it went up 300 so not too bad.I used Admiral, as I was with them beforehand. Try Adrian Flux and Chris Knott.

I use Tesco 99ron, priced about £1.39 from empty the tank would cost around £65-70. I generally dont let it go below 1/4 tank and I get around 200 miles to 3/4 and it costs between £45-50 to brim it. I think most people say the scooby will give you mid to late 20's mpg wise, however if you drive it hard alot you can physically watch the needle drop lol but its all about the 'smiles to the gallon' anyway lol.

As for servcing, the costs vary depending on where you take it to.Best thing is have an ask on here and see where local people recommend and take theirs. Ive been quoted £50 for oil/filter change, around £150-200 full service.

Faults Ive had so are are water hoses perishing, due to age but rectified with a full silicone kit from a forum member for £65. Also my fuel pump gave up, on there from new so I uprated mine, cost £120ish an took a couple hours to fit.

Hope this helps do it, you wont regret it

Many thanks for help does it have to run on 99octane?

Cheers
Old 25 October 2011, 04:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UK turbo's dont but imports and STI's do.
Have a look through pistonheads, lots of overpriced ones as the market has stagnated and scoobs are not the most desireable of cars right now to own.

Tony
Old 25 October 2011, 04:07 PM
eugmul
Scooby Regular

I dont think that unless you have it specifically mapped for 99 its super important that it has to be 99, but Id def say only use super.I use the 99 as its the same price as all the local supers but higher octane. Plus Ive noticed it runs better on the 99 too,always a bonus.
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi and welcome,
A full tank on mine is around £90 of v power and with mixed driving I get around 300 miles per tank,sometimes more.I average about 23 mpg most of the time which isn't too bad.
Service costs aren't bad either.The main thing is to change the oil and filter say every 5000 miles.
Common faults are things like the MAF sensor and mine went shortly after I bought it.I got a genuine item for £98.
Mostly it's how it's been looked after.Check for service history and make sure it's had regular oil changes.I personally prefer to look for a clean standard example that's not been badly modded as with most mods on an impreza you need to remap the ecu afterwards.
Insurance can be a bit harsh but do lots of online quotes and you'll find something suitable.

If you can afford it go for an STI as they have a lot of upgrades over a WRX or a standard uk model.The insurance is higher as a result but if you say go for a uk model they start with a little over 200bhp.where as the STI starts with 280bhp.
If you're coming from a bike I'm guessing a uk model might not be quick enough for you?
Modding a uk model up to STI power can become more expensive than buying the STI in the first place.

Regards.

Danny.
the hamster
BANNED

99 is preffered, 97 minimum but it depends if its had a remap on a certain grade.

60 litre tank at around £1.40 a litre will set you back £84. Lowest i've had from a tank is 125 miles, most is 330, just depends on how you drive and what performance level the car is.

Knocking strut tops/suspension is a common problem on late classics, also rusting rear arches. Standard 4 pot brakes arent much cop but can be enhanced with Godspeed disks/kevlar pads.
Old 25 October 2011, 05:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Mr moff
Hi and welcome,
A full tank on mine is around £90 of v power and with mixed driving I get around 300 miles per tank,sometimes more.I average about 23 mpg most of the time which isn't too bad.
Service costs aren't bad either.The main thing is to change the oil and filter say every 5000 miles.
Common faults are things like the MAF sensor and mine went shortly after I bought it.I got a genuine item for £98.
Mostly it's how it's been looked after.Check for service history and make sure it's had regular oil changes.I personally prefer to look for a clean standard example that's not been badly modded as with most mods on an impreza you need to remap the ecu afterwards.
Insurance can be a bit harsh but do lots of online quotes and you'll find something suitable.

If you can afford it go for an STI as they have a lot of upgrades over a WRX or a standard uk model.The insurance is higher as a result but if you say go for a uk model they start with a little over 200bhp.where as the STI starts with 280bhp.
If you're coming from a bike I'm guessing a uk model might not be quick enough for you?
Modding a uk model up to STI power can become more expensive than buying the STI in the first place.

Regards.

Danny.
Depends which model STI you go for, none are 280bhp, they started with the original MY94 car at 250ps, then the v2's were 275ps and the v3-v6 were all 280ps or 276bhp

Servicing if you do it properly can be expensive, pre MY00 cars have 3 year/45 k cambelt changes, this can work out to be expensive it you have to replace the idlers at the same time, still a full belt kit is around 250ish quid, just dont skimp on items like this

Tony
Old 25 October 2011, 05:02 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

MPG wise you should average around 23-26 mpg mixed driving, hoofing it around will halve that on a run maybe touch 30-32mpg

I had an my99 from new for 60K miles in (nearly) three years and used to manage that sort of mpg on a regular basis.

Service history is important, doesn't have to be with a dealer but ideally someone who 'knows'

avoid anything that looks like it has been 'tracked' or abused or not owned for long before selling on unless a very good genuine reason why.

At that sort of age you are looking at some people skimp on servicing - it is not worth it! try to buy from an enthusiast/anorak who has looked after the car.
Old 25 October 2011, 05:05 PM
5cooby1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice will check piston heads
Old 25 October 2011, 05:28 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Depends which model STI you go for, none are 280bhp, they started with the original MY94 car at 250ps, then the v2's were 275ps and the v3-v6 were all 280ps or 276bhp

Servicing if you do it properly can be expensive, pre MY00 cars have 3 year/45 k cambelt changes, this can work out to be expensive it you have to replace the idlers at the same time, still a full belt kit is around 250ish quid, just dont skimp on items like this

Tony
I said 280 because he's after a 98 to 2000 model.
I always just say 280.

Danny.
Old 25 October 2011, 05:51 PM
5cooby1
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3356411.htm

Hard to find nice ones

Would the mileage put anyone off

and anyone know of it

and i know its not a 99-2000 model

Last edited by 5cooby1; 25 October 2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 25 October 2011, 06:00 PM
5cooby1
Scooby Regular

few ebay ones anyone with info on them much appriecated
Old 25 October 2011, 06:30 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

The last one looks quite nice and original.
The second one he says it's had a McRae engine recently and he they are 300bhp standard but I'm sure they were something like 206 or 208 so his claims of it being over 300 I'd take with a pinch of salt.
He also lists some mods like front mount intercooler and a turbo swap with no mention of a remap so I'd be cautious over that one.
The other 2 look pretty clean as well.

Danny.
Old 25 October 2011, 06:36 PM
Spanair
Scooby Regular

I get for every 10 quid 30 miles average so not to horrible really. Just make sure you check for rust, you wont believe the amount of scoobies I've worked on that have been jacked from the wrong place and now they are full of rust because they were morons and couldn't do it properly and now have rust and bent seals, chassis etc ..
Old 25 October 2011, 06:55 PM
crookedvulture
BANNED

Id say one of the most important things is starting the car from stone cold & listening for the crank trying to escape & a smoke screen James bond would be proud of.Imprezas are dirt cheap at the moment I would say due to fuel & insurance costs.Regular oil changes are the key to keeping an engine sweet & can be done by yourself very easily for around £40 with a genuine filter & a decent synthetic oil.Bang for buck you wont get more for your money tho,you wont regret it.
Old 25 October 2011, 09:39 PM
5cooby1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spanair
I get for every 10 quid 30 miles average so not to horrible really. Just make sure you check for rust, you wont believe the amount of scoobies I've worked on that have been jacked from the wrong place and now they are full of rust because they were morons and couldn't do it properly and now have rust and bent seals, chassis etc ..

£10 gives you 30 miles? is it standard?
Old 25 October 2011, 10:37 PM
Spanair
Scooby Regular

No not quite standard, the usual remap, straight through, walbro pump etc etc forgot to mention sorry .
Old 25 October 2011, 10:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Spanair
No not quite standard, the usual remap, straight through, walbro pump etc etc forgot to mention sorry .
Id be worried with just a remap on that, trying hard I cant even get 10 quids worth to 30 miles, ill still get 16-18 in town and low 20's on a run, and thats with over 300 bhp

Tony