Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right. What are my modification options for MY93 WRX Wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2011, 01:36 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Right. What are my modification options for MY93 WRX Wagon?

OK, I've decided to hell with it. I want to know what I can do to the Wagon I am picking up on Saturday. It's got 130k on the clock, is an import and is pre facelift.

I'm unsure of any existing mods besides what looks like an exhaust and a turbo timer.

I've owned an MR2 Turbo for a few years now so am no stranger to modding turbo cars, but I know next to nothing about Imprezas.

I've been searching the forum and reading up, but there's so much to take in it is difficult to know what's what. I noticed people mentioning a Z4 ECU as a possible upgrade?

What else can I do? I don't want to stress the engine to failure, obviously, but it would be nice to get the most I can out of the car.
Old 25 October 2011, 01:40 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much do you want to spend?
Old 25 October 2011, 01:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

130K - KM or miles???

Either way i would not mod the engine much if at all it it is the original, the extra stain can and does cause failures with the engine and drivetrain on a high miles car.

initially Look to suspension, brakes and tyres and a decent 4 wheel alignment to make it a quicker real-world car. If rebuilding the engine then look to modding for power but do not forget the clutch and g/box is also old/worn and may need work.
Old 25 October 2011, 01:49 PM
ScoobySTI2011
Scooby Regular

You could fit a front mount intercooler, and a induction kit, sports cat and stainless.
Uprate the oil pump and fit a cooler for it, upgrade the injectors, re map of ecu, or new ecu.
If you want these mods to last though, forging the engine is the only way.
This will boost well, but not last long without forge.
Arp head bolt kit, later heads with shimless lifters.
Depends how deep your pockets are and what you want.
If you want to prolong the engine though follow The Zohansadvice
Nice one
Old 25 October 2011, 01:57 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. We'll see if I fall in love with it and decide I am keeping it a while.

KM or Miles I don't actually know yet.

I've not seen much said about boost controllers on classics yet (or I'm not looking at the right stuff). Is it ok/advisable to fit one? As said, I don't want to stress the engine too much, but adding a little bit of oompf would be nice.

Is the Z4 ECU a good mod? What does it do for the car?

I also wanted to add a better intercooler, such as an STi one. Now I've heard it's not a straightforward fit. How do I get around this?

Last edited by Jay Cartay; 25 October 2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 25 October 2011, 02:12 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With such high miles the only thing i would do is fit a better air filter, otherwise things could get very expensive,and with it being so old it would be money well spent to look at up grading the handling first, anti-lift kit, front and rear roll bars, and drop links,and some 4pot front brakes,with decent pads, good tyres and 4 wheel geo set up as above, a well driven, well sorted chassis is worth 100bhp.
Old 25 October 2011, 02:22 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much. I do want to do the ECU upgrade though as I read it is a better fuelling map, which can only be a good thing, right?

How much am I looking at for a decent set of used STi shocks and springs? Do I need to buy wagon specific items? I have no idea if wagons have stiffer rear springs or not?
Old 25 October 2011, 02:25 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were going for the Z4 upgrade you need to upgrade the turbo, you have a wagon which has a different turbo to the saloon, hence 220ps v 240ps on an MY93 or 260ps on an MY95 saloon.

Tony
Old 25 October 2011, 02:42 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If you were going for the Z4 upgrade you need to upgrade the turbo, you have a wagon which has a different turbo to the saloon, hence 220ps v 240ps on an MY93 or 260ps on an MY95 saloon.

Tony
Doh, not as straightforward as I'd hoped for that either then! Which turbo would I need, and how difficult is the swap out?
Old 25 October 2011, 02:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a TD05 16G, but there are 2 types so I think its the side entry one you need and not the front entry (though they can be converted).

Tony
Old 25 October 2011, 02:54 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Never heard of the Z4 ecu, i would look at changing just the springs if the shocks are ok, why go to the expence, 4 new eibach springs with a small drop will do the job nicely as anything secondhand for a car of that age is likely to be just as tired as what you have.

I really can't emphasise enough, that you should go very slowly with the engine mods, and get to know the car before you throw money at it make sure it's a good one, don't forget it's 18yrs old with 130k on the clock it will not take kindly to being modded.

You have been warned, but it's your money
Old 25 October 2011, 03:01 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Never heard of the Z4 ecu, i would look at changing just the springs if the shocks are ok, why go to the expence, 4 new eibach springs with a small drop will do the job nicely as anything secondhand for a car of that age is likely to be just as tired as what you have.

I really can't emphasise enough, that you should go very slowly with the engine mods, and get to know the car before you throw money at it make sure it's a good one, don't forget it's 18yrs old with 130k on the clock it will not take kindly to being modded.

You have been warned, but it's your money
No that's fair enough, and taken on board

If I were tot ake it to a rolling road and have them check how it is running etc. would it be worth having a boost controller set up at the same time or should I do without one?
Old 25 October 2011, 03:02 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decat, walbro pump, td05, then chip for your ecu. Buying these parts secondhand you could spend as little as £300 this will give you roughly 280 bhp.
Old 25 October 2011, 03:07 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Tell us where you are, then i can tell you where to go and who to speak to.
Old 25 October 2011, 03:19 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Leeds, West Yorks.
Old 25 October 2011, 03:58 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you afford to fix it if/when the engine ***** itself.
It's an old car with let's face it, not very low mileage.

You hear sooo many stories of guys modding their knackered old classic (not saying yours is knackered) with all the money they have. It then blows up, they can't afford to fix it, sits on their drive before finally being broken for a massive loss.

Me, personally, I would tread very carefully with modding (for power) an old 130K Impreza.
Old 25 October 2011, 04:12 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I've got an engine crane so if the worst happens I will quickly learn how to get an Impreza lump out

Done it on the MR2 once and am about to do it for a second time!
Old 25 October 2011, 04:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
I've got an engine crane so if the worst happens I will quickly learn how to get an Impreza lump out

Done it on the MR2 once and am about to do it for a second time!
Which is commendable however you then have the expence of rebuilding properly for more power or buying a stronger engine, likely to be around 2k - when the car is probably not worth that

Not much point in modding the car for more power if you forget about the suspension and brakes, which after 120K miles or KM's will be tired (at best), the std brakes on your car can barely handle the std BHP let alone more.

a better handling and stopping car will feel quicker in the real world as i have aid, modding an old high miles car will in most cases lead to some sort of mechanical failure and more tales of unreliability.

If you want a more powerful car then perhaps you would be better buying an STI to begin with which is more powerful and a better place to start modding - if you feel the need.
Old 25 October 2011, 04:58 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

OK. I'll just leave it at air filter, exhaust and STi intercooler then (having read a guide on how to fit). That'll suffice. If the car feels good and I want to stick with it for a bit, I'll do the handling mods.
Old 25 October 2011, 05:01 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Speak to adam at scoobyclinic they are not too far away and will be able to give you all the help and advice needed.

Those in the know will say the same as me, matty and zohan and those that don't won't.

But you may be the one of the lucky ones like some on ebay that fits a panel filter and get's a reliable 400bhp
Old 25 October 2011, 05:03 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

OK. I'll just leave it at air filter, exhaust and STi intercooler then (having read a guide on how to fit). That'll suffice. If the car feels good and I want to stick with it for a bit, I'll do the handling mods.
Do the brakes first, the standard ones on your car are woefull.
Old 25 October 2011, 05:09 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Speak to adam at scoobyclinic they are not too far away and will be able to give you all the help and advice needed.

Those in the know will say the same as me, matty and zohan and those that don't won't.

But you may be the one of the lucky ones like some on ebay that fits a panel filter and get's a reliable 400bhp
Shall I fit a resistor too?

Do the brakes first, the standard ones on your car are woefull.
Probably a good idea before winter takes hold.

What's the recommended upgrade?
Old 25 October 2011, 05:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Shall I fit a resistor too?

Probably a good idea before winter takes hold.

What's the recommended upgrade?
Re brakes it does depend on the size of your wheels, if fitted with 15" wheels then find a set of 16" or 17" wheels off of a later car and fit bigger disks and callipers, 4 pots off of a later car will go on as a cheap upgrade then fit good quality disks and pads.
Old 25 October 2011, 06:09 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

If you want a chipped ecu I have one for your impreza and at the weekend I'll also have the TD05 turbo for it too because my engine is being swapped and everything is coming off I'll also have an induction kit and resonator delete if you want to go down that route.

With those bits, a de-cat downpipe if it hasn't got one, springs and 4 pots and you'll have a quick reliable car
Old 25 October 2011, 06:50 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

As above subaru 4 pots and bigger discs, also don't buy cheap pads, ferrodo ds2500 or performance friction are good, if you find a secondhand set of calipers then speak to ian at godspeed brakes and he will refirb them for you or you can buy the refirb kit from him, his discs are also very good and not expensive, he also sells some fast road kevlar pads at a good price, but he is the man for all things brake related.
Old 25 October 2011, 07:18 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Excellent. Are STi anti roll bars a decent upgrade and can I fit saloon or coupe items?

Same question goes for shocks and springs.
Old 25 October 2011, 07:23 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

sti rollbars are the same as wrx and uk turbo ones. You can get uprated whiteline ones though shocks are better on later classic sti's and P1 because they are inverted but the springs are the same I believe.
Old 25 October 2011, 08:21 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paulo P
sti rollbars are the same as wrx and uk turbo ones. You can get uprated whiteline ones though shocks are better on later classic sti's and P1 because they are inverted but the springs are the same I believe.
Cheers matey. Are wagon and saloon shocks/springs the same then? I thought maybe wagons ran stiffer rears?
Old 25 October 2011, 08:24 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Out of the box they are the same but some companies sell coilovers specifically for the wagon.
Old 25 October 2011, 08:59 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paulo P
Out of the box they are the same but some companies sell coilovers specifically for the wagon.
Ah so STi Wagons and Saloons run the exact same kit? Excellent. Will all years classic stuff fit?

Quick Reply: Right. What are my modification options for MY93 WRX Wagon?