Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the deal with swapping back from private plate to normal reg (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2011, 01:18 PM
Matt_F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the deal with swapping back from private plate to normal reg (need help)

hi, could do with some info

basically if a car has a private plate on and you want to swap it back to the normal registration, how long does this take

going to look at a car tomorrow and has a private plate on it still. if i was to buy it, can it be resolved at the post office that day, so i could drive the car back or would i have to wait until the owner sends the form etc off and get the new V5 back

i was going to ring dvla, but i no what they are liking trying to get through to,haha

thanks

Matt

Last edited by Matt_F; 17 October 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 17 October 2011, 01:42 PM
gbnut
Scooby Regular

Has to be done at a DVLA office and can take anywhere from nextday to 2wks to get the transfer paperwork through and upto 4wks for the new v5.

DVLA used to do it while you wait, but no any more

Originally Posted by Matt_F
hi, could do with some info

basically if a car has a private plate on and you want to swap it back to the normal registration, how long does this take

going to look at a car tomorrow and has a private plate on it still. if i was to buy it, can it be resolved at the post office that day, so i could drive the car back or would i have to wait until the owner sends the form etc off and get the new V5 back

i was going to ring dvla, but i no what they are liking trying to get through to,haha

thanks

Matt
Old 17 October 2011, 01:49 PM
Matt_F
Scooby Regular

yeah thanks, just managed to get through to dvla and they said pretty much the same

and because the car im lookin at has been sorned for more than a year he would need to tax the car as well

so his only hope is to leave the private plate on it in order to sell it to me or for me not to have to wait upto 6 weeks. then maybe i could sort out getting the plate transfered once i had the v5 send through and negotiate the price of doing that off the amount he wants for the car
Old 17 October 2011, 01:56 PM
rosschalmers
Scooby Regular

when I bought my car it had a private plate which the previous owner wanted to keep. He filled out a couple of forms which I had to sign and sent them away with the log book. I took about 5 weeks! but I got a letter from the DVLA with a new tax disc and mot and the plate went on retention in the other guys name. You can tax a car with the new keeps suppliment.
Old 17 October 2011, 02:03 PM
Matt_F
Scooby Regular

oh right ok

were you able to take the car there and then, or did you have to wait until the 5 weeks time

also, can you remember what forms they were and where the wee obtained

hard work this is trying find out all the info
Old 17 October 2011, 02:07 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically if you buy a car with a private plate on it then you become the grantee i.e. its yours!

The car shouldn't really be sold until the Private plate has been removed and the new V5 showing the replacement mark on it has arrived from the DVLA!
Usually a gentleman's agreement is reached i.e. the seller fills out all the paperwork and gets you, the buyer, to sign it all meaning the transfer goes through after you've bought the car.
Old 17 October 2011, 02:12 PM
Matt_F
Scooby Regular

thats not to bad then. ive spoke to him about it as i dont really want the private plate as its worth about £500

just see what he says now
Old 17 October 2011, 02:17 PM
rosschalmers
Scooby Regular

I took the car there and then. The original plan was I would give him extra cash to buy the plate and then arrange to remove it myself and sell it back to him. He did all the leg work on this one so I'm not sure what the forms were called, but they came from the DVLA so not sure if he got them from the post office or not. I signed the log book as normal and two DVLA forms, took the new keepers supliment and almost 5 weeks later I got the letter from the DVLA. The log book arrived two days after. DVLA should know what the forms are called and where to get them.
Old 17 October 2011, 02:27 PM
Matt_F
Scooby Regular

right ok thanks

he is going to the local dvla office tomorrow to see if anything can be done

end of the day he needs to get the plate swapped so the charge is surely upto him, not the buyer. i no that he needs to tax the car though.

ill have to ring my insurance to check how it would work
Old 17 October 2011, 09:20 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I swapped the wife's one over week last Friday at the local DVLA office.Took 10minutes, including waiting for the bloke in front to be served.Logbook arrived today
Old 17 October 2011, 10:33 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay guys anyone advise regards the folowing ??

Have a private plate on my car just now that I am going to sell via one off the reg selling sites this way I would have avoided paying any fees as its the buyer who pays the transfer fee.

Picked up a new p/plate today at a decent price that I want to put on my car once the current p/plate on the car sells this way would have only had to pay the one transfer fee but not not too sure how /whats going to be the cheapest best option off doing things ? ?

The new plate is on retention certificate with the previous owner and this is due to expire december,as I understand it Its going to cost me 80 pounds + an additional 25 pounds to transfer this retention certificate to my own name then when the original plate sells via the reg selling company another 80 quid to get it onto my car.

All the above correct, any other way off doing it cheaper???

Last edited by jono300; 17 October 2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 18 October 2011, 10:45 AM
Phaeton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
The new plate is on retention certificate with the previous owner
You need to get the owner to get your name onto the retention document, else all you have is a worthless piece of paper. You can't extend the period in December, as far as the DVLA are concerned you have nothing to do with it.

Alan..
Old 18 October 2011, 10:54 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay appreciatte that, right so if I get the owner to add my name and address it will cost this £105 yep ??

as I say really hope it wont cost me yet another £80+ to then transfer it onto the car once ready ??!!
Old 18 October 2011, 10:58 AM
Phaeton
Scooby Regular

Fee for adding your name is only £25

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ates/DG_172125

Won't cost you anything to put it onto your car as the fees have been paid upfront by current owner, but the car has to be taxed (or being taxed) MOT'd & insured.

Alan...
Old 18 October 2011, 02:45 PM
Matt_F
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
I swapped the wife's one over week last Friday at the local DVLA office.Took 10minutes, including waiting for the bloke in front to be served.Logbook arrived today
thanks, like i said, the guy is suppose to be going to the local dvla to try and sort it out, so hopefully hear off him later

im gathering the private plate would stay on the car so i can drive it back etc and then once i get the v5 through etc i can get some normal plates done with the reg and either send his plates back to him or something

not sure how this would would with insurance though, gonna ring them in a bit
Old 18 October 2011, 04:51 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phaeton
Fee for adding your name is only £25

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ates/DG_172125

Won't cost you anything to put it onto your car as the fees have been paid upfront by current owner, but the car has to be taxed (or being taxed) MOT'd & insured.

Alan...

Okay thanks beginning to understand it now !! okay the current owner sends me the certificate and I get my own name and address added to it ie. I sign it and send it together with the £25. what about when the renewal is up in December thou the annual £25 renewal will be due and surely come to him ??

all I want to do is keep it on certificate until my own plate is sold with the minimum fuss / expense !!

what a complicated subject !
Old 18 October 2011, 05:50 PM
Phaeton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay thanks beginning to understand it now !! okay the current owner sends me the certificate and I get my own name and address added to it ie. I sign it and send it together with the £25. what about when the renewal is up in December thou the annual £25 renewal will be due and surely come to him ??

all I want to do is keep it on certificate until my own plate is sold with the minimum fuss / expense !!

what a complicated subject !
He is the Grantee, you have to be added as a Nominee, but as you say all documents will go to him, the only way you can get it in your name is to put it on a car. What might be best way is to put it on your car & put your existing one onto retention before you have to renew the other.

Alan...
Old 18 October 2011, 06:09 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks alan yep thinking about possibly just going ahead and doing that ie. putting it on my car just now and keeping the present plate on retention instead.

1/ Although free to transfer it to my car it will still require the initial £25 fee to add me to the certificate which has to be done before transferring it to my own car - yep ??

2/ the reason I did not really want to change just now was because the plate I have on the car just now is being sold via regtransfers and there are no fees to be paid by me once the plate sells ie. the new owner pays all transfer fees, so obviously this is another £105 ( £80 +£25 ) that I am almost paying for nothing !!

unless regtranfers give you back this charge , as surely a plate is more sellable being on retention in the first place ??

Original poster - sorry mate really did not mean to take over your thread but as you may well be noticing its a bit off a minefield all this but thanks to a few fellow s/netters beginning to understand it a bit clearer now !!
Old 19 October 2011, 11:50 AM
Phaeton
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know how I've just done it.

Sold the wife's Skyline on Saturday, gave the new owner a receipt, MOT cert & all the paperwork, he filled in the New Owner section of the V5C & signed it but I kept the whole thing, both pages. I had already downloaded a V317 Got the new owner to fill in left hand side & sign it. Before he drove off took the serial number of the VED disc.

Bought a WRX on Sunday & filled the New Owners details in with wife's details, left the first page with existing owner to send off & kept the second page.

Filled in the right hand side of the V317 with the new cars details & my wife's details. I also downloaded a V62 which also filled in with her details.

Both cars were MOT'd but don't need to take certificates with you as they can look that up on their system.

Walked into DVLA handed over paperwork, handed over £80, walked out should have new shiney paperwork in 7-10 days.

However if one of them has to be taxed you will need to have both vehicles insured.

Alan...

Edit:- In case it wasn't clear the Cherished number was on wife's Skyline & she wants it on the Impreza

Last edited by Phaeton; 19 October 2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Clarification