Sponsored by:

should i upgrade to an STi?

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2011, 04:54 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i upgrade to an STi?

hi folks, im just looking for general opinions as im considering a change. currently ive got an MY99 turbo 2000 in very good condition. the car was known to me before i bought it, has never given me the slightest bit of trouble in the 2 and a bit years ive owned it but im sort of kicking around the idea of a change...im probably being an idiot! its also got the 22B/RB5 interior, induction kit, gauges, forge dump valve, ultralight alloys, magnex s/steel system etc..nice, sensible mods...sounds amazing
anyway, ive been looking at a new gen as ive grown more into the looks, particulary the Sti..ive been wondering whether to hang on to my classic or change for a new gen WRX (i prefer the PPP model), or go ***** out and get the STi..tbh, i dont boot the car too often but i do like to have a bit of fun..im not a boy racer but a 'mature' owner!
the Sti appeals because its obviously got more power and looks great, and with the prodrive pack is a serious tool..the other option is the milder WRX, again i would prefer the prodrive pack..but would i end up wishing id just bought the Sti after a year? Is there really that much difference between the two cars on the public roads? Also i could buy a mint WRX and spend a few quid on its cosmetics and/or engine to bring it up to spec and probably still have money left over. I dont know that a new age WRX would be any more thrilling to drive than my current classic (which i love) or feel special..My scoob had a new engine 40k so still feels very tight and responsive..i dont want to spend money and take a backward step..My budget would prefeably be around £7k, but if i saw an absolutely top notch, immac Sti with some tasteful mods id be tempted to stretch the budget, maybe nearer the £10k mark....although my missus would prefer an M3 at that money
Any thoughts, advice would be greatly appreciated. Ive never driven an STi btw so thoughts about the driving experience, pitfalls etc would be great! cheers!
Old 03 September 2011, 05:02 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i came from a blob back to a classic and wouldn't go back. best thing for you is to take a test drive and see what you think. i'd definately go with the sti over the pppwrx, but it sounds as though you already have your heart set on newage.
in my opinion there are too many newages going around thats why i went to a classic. if it helps i got bored of the newage but the classic still brings a smile to my face when i boot it.

why not go for an upgrade to say 340bhp in the classic with a decent map and mods etc, and take it from there? at least when you sell it it would be more desirable if done sensibly.

Last edited by morandpeter; 03 September 2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03 September 2011, 05:26 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Have a look at a twinscroll newage will get a my05 under 10k budget and dont think you would regret it, but if you not sure go and look at a few cars to help you make your mind up, but if you think you want an sti now you will end up changing a wrx for an sti in the future and may wish you had bought it in the first place
Old 03 September 2011, 05:39 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With your budget you would get a nice wrx and a not so nice sti depends what you prefer newer or older but faster.

bare in mind the sti has a harsher ride but coming from a classic you probably won't notice it that much, test drive a few at dealers and see what you think.

As a daily driver a well modded wrx is a better allrounder but if as i suspect you like a harder edge to your driving experience i'd go sti.

couple of £k more might see you in a spec c or a type 20
Old 03 September 2011, 05:49 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this old wrx or sti thread again!
i have had both newage wrx and sti.
both good cars and the wrx is a more comfortable everyday car and the sti is a far better performance car. subaru designed them this way.
if you going to buy a wrx to mod and look like an sti, why not just buy an sti as it will be better already and probably cheaper and more reliable as already designed to run 300+bhp.
the wrx has weak points when it comes to upping the power (i.e. 5 speed box) and not great brakes.
the standard ppp blob sti is ok as an everday car and has the performance when you need it.
ask yourself this why does every wrx owner say its a great car then spend time and money making it look and go like an sti???
maybe because the sti is the better car!!
my opinion of course and unlike most i have owned both.
Old 03 September 2011, 06:18 PM
oldman-wrx
Scooby Regular

I have had a newage blob wrx for 30 months then newage sti hawke for 6 months. I have really liked both cars, but given the choice now prefer the sti. yes it has 340 bhp but still a nice drive around when taking it easy. like you I would be classed as a mature driver lol.

to help you decide can I ask what bhp your classic is. the reconing is that for a newage to give similar performane to what you already have then you would need extra 50 bhp
this may well push you towards an sti.

ps if an sti get one where all the extras and cost has been done by previous owner like I did
Old 03 September 2011, 06:42 PM
lloyd6240
Scooby Regular

I use MY03STI ppp every day as a daily drive. With the mods on engine and handling it is perfect with the gf and kids in, and then when they are not for a good blast, 323 HP but will be 400 ish soon I hope with the help of a Md321h turbo, well in 6 months.