Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1 vs Skyliner...argument settler !

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2001, 11:17 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you driven a 22B extensively on British roads?

I guess the answer is "yes" as your omnipresent...

If not, why not try to solicit the views of some 22B owners (well, drivers in one case )? Chuckster? Adam M? Harj? Others?

It may not be the "ultimate" impreza in some people's books, but I'd still take it above anything else. Probably.
Old 29 March 2001, 11:20 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ GOD, and I'm sure you drive a 22B regularly so know this 'fact' LOL The only thing I miss is the safety factor of ABS and airbags.
Chuck (Biased but not blinkered)
Oops, Chiark beat me to it - drat!

Gotta admit I was very tempted to sell the 22 and buy a Bayside Blue R34 about a month ago - the Skyline is just so much rarer and 'nicer' inside. Got an S4 as well now instead - best of both worlds, 22 for fun and S4 for long boring motorway stuff
R33 is hugely tuneable - if he goes that way he could toast standard STI's.
But in the end, the guy with the most skill/biggest nuts is king of the track, not the most BHP/drivers aids etc. anyway.
Muppetize this quickly!

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 30 March 2001).]
Old 29 March 2001, 11:24 PM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

woooohoooo!

Thanks guys, armed with this little lot above and some severe committing to memory, monday morning could be fun, fun, fun...... and luckily he cant sack me (well theory) cos I own masses of stock in the company...

My only redeeming comment so far is.... Nissan Skyline em... 52k! and its a Nissan..... em lets say no more....

Greg
Old 29 March 2001, 11:25 PM
Rikster
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RussP:
<B>Just tell him that you got absolutely what you wanted whereas he obviously couldn't afford a 911 and had to settle for second best!

(And collect your P45 on your way out! )

Russ [/quote]

Is the reply to this not going to be "and that's why you've got a P1 and not a 22B then?"

Is it an R33 or an R34 Skline in question here ?

Rikster
Old 29 March 2001, 11:30 PM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

Rikster

i think its the R33 could be wrong, i'll have to go and get the badge off it lunchtime

Greg
Old 30 March 2001, 09:29 AM
p1 media
Scooby Regular

Hi

need to settle something once and for all...

My boss just got a Skyliner GTR and thinks its the dogs bits (cant drive to save his life, but thats another story) but has now taken to a almost daily ritual of casting apersions of my lurvely P1....

the arguement goes something like this... my engine's bigger than yours, i've had induction kits and an oil cooler fitted, i can get me golf clubs in the boot, and its bigger and longer than yours (we're still talking cars here ).....

now without wishing to cause an affray in the middle of the office (and as I am such a complete layman when it comes to cars) can someone give me particularly whitty and factual comments to throw back at him....

otherwise I'm gonna have to resort to bodily violence...

Greg
Old 30 March 2001, 09:33 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

tell him that you think his car is great and you will probably get one when you reach your mid-life crisis as well. Do this in a very loud voice in the middle of the office. Don't forget to call in at the HR department to collect your P45 as you leave.

You could also try entering into a technical debate about centre diffs, bearing turbo's etc. He probably won't understand how they work either, but if you use enough buzz word's - try sidc site FAQ and
Old 30 March 2001, 09:39 AM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Smile

Not advocating racing on the public highway.

But ...

A nice road
You
Him

Pink slips on the table - winner takes all.
Old 30 March 2001, 09:41 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Just tell him that you got absolutely what you wanted whereas he obviously couldn't afford a 911 and had to settle for second best!

(And collect your P45 on your way out! )

Russ
Old 30 March 2001, 09:43 AM
Dave!
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nearly bought one of these instead of the WRX RA (only nearly!) and you can't get an egg box in the boot!
Stunning looks though, but felt slightly slower to the ton than the WRX (IMHO).
Old 30 March 2001, 09:44 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by p1 media:
<B>the arguement goes something like this... my engine's bigger than yours, i've had induction kits and an oil cooler fitted, i can get me golf clubs in the boot, and its bigger and longer than yours (we're still talking cars here[/quote]

How about, the golf clubs are about the <B>ONLY</B> things he's likely to be able to fit in the boot 'cos it's tiny....

Bigger and Longer - not to mention much heavier... anybody know the relative power to weight ratios of both cars???? I've been in both and I have to say:

R33 with Induction Kit and Exhaust - 350BHP (apparently)
P1 Standard - 270 (ish) BHP

both felt about as quick as each other....

Matt
Old 30 March 2001, 09:45 AM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Greg,

Isn't it a Nissan Skyline, I think a Skyliner is a type of aircraft.

Anyway, tell your boss that at least your car doesn't have to have a computer management system fitted whicd spoils the fun. A P1 is a real car with Driver Skill needed at times when the Skyline merely corrects things for you. I find that boring and slows the Adrenaline Rush.

I think Skylines are great, one left me for dust a few weeks back in my WRX. I almost bought one but after my 300ZX cost me £300 to change a Manifold Gasket as it was a git to get to I changed my mind. Wait until he has to have some work done on it, he'll wish he had a Scoob...

Basically it's a Big fast Whale of a car.

Neil
Old 30 March 2001, 09:59 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mutant_matt:
<B>anybody know the relative power to weight ratios of both cars????[/quote]

OK - found them (excuse the units but I couldn't be bothered to work out BHP per Tonne):

Skyline 1510kg 276bhp (in standard trim) = 182BHP per 1000kg
P1 1235kg 276bhp = 223 BHP per 1000kg

In fact, going by these figures, my M8's Skyline as previously mentioned has a figure of 231BHP per 1000kg and I said they *felt* the same - not a lot in it.

One other thing - how about mentioning cost vs performance - I'm sure you'd be onto a winner there as well

Matt

[This message has been edited by mutant_matt (edited 30 March 2001).]
Old 30 March 2001, 10:15 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Talking

Why the argument about golf clubs? I can fit mine in the back of my MY00 with no problems at all, with room for the trolly, brolly and a host of other stuff. In fact if I took the trolly out, I could get 4 sets in with 4 people comfortably in the car....ideal for ferrying the bosses about

Besides, how many skylines have won a rally (OK P1s haven't strictly...)
Old 30 March 2001, 10:20 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

As the Skyline is heavier and longer, it has a higher polar moment of inertia, so it will be slower to change direction. Out on long sweeping high-speed bends or a straight line, I imagine the Skyline would have the upper hand, but the more twists and turns that you have to negotiate, the greater the advantage is to the P1.

Their roots are different. The Skyline is derived from a touring car/track car whereas the P1 is derived from a rally car, so I bet that the P1 goes faster over a poor quality road surface, but the Skyline will win on Shellgrip.

Don't know if anyone has the torque-to-weight ratios of the two cars, along with torque curve maps as these would show more useful information than just peak power.
Old 30 March 2001, 10:21 AM
GOD
Scooby Regular

You cant win, because the skyline is a better car.

Only thing in your favour, is you could kill him on a b road.

But he would massacre you on a race track.

Weight is your only advantage.

That and 0 -62 times

Value is a stupid argument cos his will be worth something in a few years time whereas yours wont

You could just let him win, and score browny points ofr be subservient
Old 30 March 2001, 10:33 AM
z80
Scooby Regular

My boss drives a crappy old Nissan
He just doesn't know what he's missin'
The P1 is best
It beats all the rest
I tell him but he'll never listen

All the best

Simon (proud to be one in a P1)
Old 30 March 2001, 10:45 AM
adamp
Scooby Regular

Talking

As far as I'm concerned no one looks twice at a Skyline, test drove a Purple one and didn't get a second glance, however the P1 turns heads all the time. For roads in the UK I would say that the P1 or 22B or STI reign supreme.

Adam

Also proud to be a P1 owner.
Old 30 March 2001, 10:48 AM
GOD
Scooby Regular

The 22B is crap on british roads. But it looks much better than the P1 on any road.
Old 30 March 2001, 12:20 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

I was looking into a skyline before I saw how small the rear passenger space is.

Can a P1 do 0-100 in 10.? seconds, coz that's what a skyline r34 vspec can do... unmodded

round the corners, I have no idea, but from what I've heard the skyline gets good press (track stuff, not b roads).
Old 30 March 2001, 12:23 PM
GOD
Scooby Regular

To answer chick, and chuck,

yes I have driven a 22b on british roads,

my mate dave has one, and its chipped up properly too.

Had a race around a country lane witha P1 and got absoluted thrashed!.

Not good at all.

Old 30 March 2001, 12:31 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

hehe 'chipped up properly' hahah, guess Dave's an old cossie owner then, 'cos if he had any concerns about a 22B on British roads he would have done the suspension and brakes instead of just chipping it. Lemme guess, it's running on Koni shocks already hhahaha oh dear I haven't been involved in a thread like this since I was GOD's age.
Chuck
Old 30 March 2001, 12:32 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

oops! Double post. Believe me, I'd be the first to admit the P1 is newer, better engineered and better suited to the average driver(me included) out of the box than a standard 22B, I'm not having a go at P1's, just at GOD and his statement 22's are crap and of course the whole max power 'properly chipped' mentality.
Chuck

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 30 March 2001).]
Old 30 March 2001, 12:45 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you 2 are going to start playing games with those cars of yours....just make sure you are both careful....I don't want to come down south to batter you for messing up our otherwise ecellent claims experience (other than my 2 incidents that is )

Rum
Old 30 March 2001, 01:00 PM
GOD
Scooby Regular

Perhaps chuck would like to talk about this in the chat room right now. I'll be waiting, as I am permanently on line and I will tell you all about daves car.

Ps, have had a cossie engine in my fiesta, but never in a "real cosworth". The car absolutly rocked.
Old 30 March 2001, 01:41 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I did pop in and had a quit chat with Adam M and GOD (whoever you are!!!).

Neil Smalley popped in but left again before I had a chance to even say hello. Chuckster, I told GOD that a lot of peeps can't use chat during the day 'cos at work most peeps have a Firewall that gets in the way....

Ta,

Matt
Old 30 March 2001, 01:48 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Chuck, can you give me a call at work. I cant find your number,
or on the mobile.

Plus, dont mean to take side, but I wouldnt go for leda mydels on the 22B. Apparently standard form is more than capable on the road, so I won't be changing until there is another reasonably prced option. May consider the prodrive bilstein option if it comes out, for which I will need you.
Old 30 March 2001, 03:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Oh i do love it when someone says BHP = faster car lol! let me tell u a little story
I aint the best driver in the world to start with but i do enjoy going round corners (even that nice wet roundabout in the van today when it didnt go the way i wanted it to until she snapped back in) fun, yup
Like i say i drive an 80bhp astra 2ltr di 16v van, i kept up with a 320 Merc over twisty roads, he had the acceleration on the straights but id catch him in the corners....
So whats the point???
its not the car, its the driver, i would rather have a small, duff handling car against something more powerful, ie 205 1.6 gti for instance, against say a bmw m3, and if i was even close to it at the end of a nice run over twisty roads or the track then i would be happy
But i bought my impreza for the reason of having fun along with everyone else whos bought one on here if you just chip a car and you whinge about the handling whats the point???? you would sort the handling out first, any person with a brain would!!! so chip car, = more BHP = faster = still not handling good = why the hell didnt i do the suspension instead??? answer = cos im a plonka lol!
My simple motto is this "boy racers go for straight line speed, but the sensible ones want to go round the corners " not the best of mottos but im not too ar5ed about straights, just mid range where i need it

Tony
Old 30 March 2001, 03:54 PM
GOD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony, what a great story.
Old 30 March 2001, 03:54 PM
tokyo_steve
Scooby Regular

The Skyliner is a Japanese vehicle. It's a train that rund from Ueno (central Tokyo & home of biker town) to the airport.

It covers a wopping 60KM in about 1 hour. I think a P1 can beat this.

Steve

Quick Reply: P1 vs Skyliner...argument settler !