Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX 2001 a bit dull...?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2001, 03:06 PM
ScoobyNew
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just bought a new WRX 2001 (pick it up in 2 days). Having had a go in my mates older version, the new one seems a bit dull since there's no real ooomph from the turbo. I was thinking I might be able to sort this out by having the Prodrive upgrade (out very soon so my dealer tells me). Do you think this will put the 'fun factor' back in?
Old 31 March 2001, 03:32 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

...or try the Scoobysport exhaust.

Saves you some money
Old 31 March 2001, 04:45 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Why are you buying a car you're not completely happy with?
Old 31 March 2001, 05:39 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Called into local dealer today to have a look at the new WRX.

Asked the salesman if Subaru UK were going to officially import the STI version and was told YES in January.

Heres the good bit.....was advised not to buy a grey import new shape STI because they are designed to run on 200 octane petrol!!!

Now I'VE never heard of 200 octane petrol, but this guy was deadly serious.

Perhaps I'm wrong and he's right....

David
Old 31 March 2001, 05:48 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DAVE-W:
<B>Called into local dealer today to have a look at the new WRX.

Asked the salesman if Subaru UK were going to officially import the STI version and was told YES in January.

Heres the good bit.....was advised not to buy a grey import new shape STI because they are designed to run on 200 octane petrol!!!

Now I'VE never heard of 200 octane petrol, but this guy was deadly serious.

Perhaps I'm wrong and he's right....

David[/quote]

Anybody know anyone at NASA

cheers

chrisp
Old 31 March 2001, 07:11 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Don't worry Scoobynew: dull it aint. Quiet? Yes. Refined? Yes. It's nowhere near as raw as the MY2000, but puts more of a smile on my face than my old MY2000 ever did.

Mines done 1500 miles now, so took it for a blast down the Cat & Fiddle road (bikers will know the one) the other night. The way it hanndles and turns in makes you laugh out loud. You'll love it.
Old 31 March 2001, 07:27 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DAVE-W:
<B>Heres the good bit.....was advised not to buy a grey import new shape STI because they are designed to run on 200 octane petrol!!!

David[/quote]

That's got to be the best bit of dealer bullsh!t I've ever heard!!

Steve

Old 31 March 2001, 08:08 PM
vmax
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think dull is the wrong word... As an earlier post stated.. "Refined".

I used to have a Lexus IS200... That was a very refined car with no go. I have had my MY01 nearly 3 weeks.... Top car... Lexus on Red Bull..

Plus it doesn't rattle when you go over bumps. Plus the doors don't ring when you close them.

Can't wait till it loosens up a bit more.. Just done 912 miles... already booked the 1000 mile service.
Old 31 March 2001, 08:17 PM
Ry
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Erm 200 octane petrol-we have lift off! The highest rating I have ever seen is 128, and that was mad monkey juice and nearly knocked me out! It was a blend from the old F1 turbo days!!!!

The new WRX has a more progressive modern design of turbo doesn't it? Same power as the old one but no neck snapping lag!! If you don't want it Scooby new can I have it??
Old 31 March 2001, 09:16 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Hi Folks,

Refined is a "good" word to use for the new WRX. Would tend to agree with the comments so far. Mines done 3.5k and rising fast. Definately not as fast in a straight line as either of my previous two Scoobs but would out handle a standard old style on the right road (depends on drivers as well I suppose!). Though refused to rise to the bait when driving home last Friday evening and some one in a blue MY with gold wheels, decides that nice blind bend coming up was a good place to pass! The word Tosser comes to mind.

Lower it 20mm, more weight through the steering and 25+ extra BHP (O'yes... bucket seats, bigger rear spoiler and rear wiper would be good as well) but then again, I've never owned a car that I could not think of improvements for.

Mind you... had my first fault in 100k of Scooby motoring the other week. Car 4 weeks old and a rear shock went, great pool of fluid on garage floor!

Don't think you;ll be tooo disapointed.

Enjoy...