Sponsored by:

Oil testing

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2011, 11:04 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil testing

OK, so before most of you yawn and go back to the **** site you were watching, take a look at this site I found whilst taking a break from the **** site I was watching
Not sure how old it is and some of the oils are probably not available here. The test is a fancy version of the one used by Extralube ZX1 on QVC?
Still, it might cause some debate?

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

JohnD
Old 16 August 2011, 11:27 AM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The test I'd like to see is one which compares different brands of the same grade of oil and something which is important, they're operating temperatures of which there's no mention in that article.

Last edited by Ryan@Indigo-GT; 16 August 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 16 August 2011, 11:40 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

INteresting, but unfortunatly most of it is American brands rather than what we can get over here.

The other thing is it only openly states it tests ONE attribute of the oil. When there are many attributes taht need to be considered.

All they test is boundry film strength under passive lubrication (dipping a rotating wheel into an oil bath). This is reflective of wear on valvegear components such as valve lifters, pushrods, shims and rockers where surfaces rub, and have either passive, drip fed, or low pressure oil feed, also pistons/bores.

HOWEVER this is very different to how most major moving parts on an engine are lubricated. Which is done by forcing oil under pressure in between the bearing surfaces. This being big end, crank main and camshaft bearings. Inccidentally these are the parts that usually go wrong in an engine failure

Also, it doesn't test ageing resistance to wear and tear (the oil molecules being chopped up by the oil pump gears ) and temperature, or contaimination of moisture and fuel. All important factors in oil longevity and how it performs after spending 6 to 12months in the engine.

So in conclusion, its inconslusive

Because one oil has a good boundry film stregth. It doesn't mean it'll be anygood when pumped under pressure (Shear strength), or during extreme/sustained hot/cold temperatures, or after it is diluted with fuel and moisture (the latter is commonly found in cars used for short journeys).

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 August 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:26 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think ill go back to my **** site big tit round ***** lol