Sponsored by:

Buying a bug eye?

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2011, 05:03 PM
Krystal-K
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a bug eye?

Hi all, this is my first post here so be gentle..:-)

I currently own a 'P' plate 328i and a Suzuki Vitara and am getting rid of both but want something to do the job of bothe...i.e......it needs a bit of oomph, look good and 4 wheel drive....i started looking about as to what would fill those boots and have decided a sportback will do the job nicely...

Are there any posts i should be looking at first as im not in a major hurry..perhaps a month or so!! Looking at probably a '52 plate or around that age...what do i need to look for and what to avoid as i know very little about subaru's apart from actually having driven a few at work and liking what they do

All help appreciated and thanks in advance....btw i like the blue ones...
Old 13 August 2011, 05:05 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

What is your actual budget going to be ? The Bugeye is getting quite old now (and dirt cheap), and impreza's depreciate like crazy after a few years so maybe you might have enough money to be able to afford a newer car

Shaun
Old 13 August 2011, 05:08 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

"I like the Blue Ones"

My advice, what ever you buy, get the Sti version, as sure as eggs r eggs you will want more power at some time, and when you do you will thank yourself for buying the stronger engine.
Old 13 August 2011, 05:12 PM
Krystal-K
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Welcome

What is your actual budget going to be ? The Bugeye is getting quite old now (and dirt cheap), and impreza's depreciate like crazy after a few years so maybe you might have enough money to be able to afford a newer car

Shaun
Havent got a hard figure set yet but looking at around 3k......depends on the car really.....it wont be used during the week and only occasionally of a weekend as all week i drive a van and drop the wife at work and pick her up so the car is just used for shopping of a weekend and the occasional trip up the motor way once every couple of months.....so dont even mind a bit of mileage on it as it wont get any with me really.....the most it will do is if it snows in the winter as thats what the vitara is used for now...

as i said above,,,i dont even know the details of what years the various shapes were introduced or whats available so im all ears at the moment and hence coming here first......
Old 13 August 2011, 05:15 PM
Krystal-K
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by madmerlin
"I like the Blue Ones"

My advice, what ever you buy, get the Sti version, as sure as eggs r eggs you will want more power at some time, and when you do you will thank yourself for buying the stronger engine.
Im presuming the STi is one up from a WRX????

I also dont want a complete gas guzzler but then anythings better than a 328 auto..i get about 20 mpg around here at the moment so a scooby will probably be heaven i should think..............
Old 13 August 2011, 05:31 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

For £3k you should be able to find a 02 plate Bug WRX (Not STi) and still have a few quid left over for sundries.

The STi has better performance (and bits) but is correspondingly more expensive. Have a wander around the for sale section on here and pistonheads for prices. As ever condition wins over mileage

Not everyone can afford an STi (I couldn't but in the long run it would have been cheaper..but that's another story LOL)

Shaun

Shaun
Old 13 August 2011, 05:38 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3098915.htm

Something along these lines...... it's got an orchiari body kit on which isn't cheap and neither is a carbon dash, someone has splashed some cash at it in the past.

Just has to be mechanically sound, which is where you take the gamble with a 10 year old car LOL

Shaun
Old 13 August 2011, 05:40 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recent service history is a must otherwise belts, fluids and filters will all need done for peace of mind.
Old 13 August 2011, 05:43 PM
Krystal-K
Scooby Newbie

WRX it is then :-)

Need to get shot of the Bimmer and Vitara now...never thought i'd say that about my 328.

When shopping for a WRX of that age what am i looking for.....what are the common faults to look for at certain mileages and what shouldnt you touch with a barge pole.

I know my way around a car with a set of spanners and also a rotary polisher so there isnt too much that frightens me away if it need small items looking at...
Old 13 August 2011, 05:49 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

If you think the 328 you had was a guzzler at 20mpg. Sorry your not gonna get much of an improvment with a scooby. Yes if you drive it like miss daisy you will prob get 25mpg. If your gonna use it properly you will get no where near that. I average 20mpg normal driving on track have been as low as 6mpg
Old 13 August 2011, 05:54 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I've got a MY02 bug and I can't think of anything specific apart from the usual stuff you have to look for in a 10 year old car. Knocking noise from engine and check on the cambelt / fluids change would be what springs to mind.

The WRX was pretty much crippled when it left the factory so as not to encroach on the performance of the STi version so most things run pretty unstressed. Unless it has been ragged to death

Shaun
Old 13 August 2011, 06:08 PM
Krystal-K
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Turbotits
If you think the 328 you had was a guzzler at 20mpg. Sorry your not gonna get much of an improvment with a scooby. Yes if you drive it like miss daisy you will prob get 25mpg. If your gonna use it properly you will get no where near that. I average 20mpg normal driving on track have been as low as 6mpg
Oh well, cant have everything i suppose.....i have had moments in kickdown where i thought it was actually GPM as opposed to MPG :-)

I dont tend to race around, i just like a car to have power there if you want it/need it...but of course theres always moment where the speeed devil pops up on your shoulder...

I've got a MY02 bug and I can't think of anything specific apart from the usual stuff you have to look for in a 10 year old car. Knocking noise from engine and check on the cambelt / fluids change would be what springs to mind.

The WRX was pretty much crippled when it left the factory so as not to encroach on the performance of the STi version so most things run pretty unstressed. Unless it has been ragged to death

Shaun
Sounds good to me...thanks for the input
Old 13 August 2011, 06:12 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

If anything catches your eye then post a link to the sale on here on a seperate thread and there is usually a few people around who might be able to spot if something is amiss

Shaun
Old 13 August 2011, 06:12 PM
DavieQ
Scooby Newbie

Remove the plastic drip tray under the engine compartment and check the front subframe, particularly in the front left and right hand corners.
I have a 2001 bugeye WRX and the subframe was totally rotten and not too cheap to replace.
Old 13 August 2011, 06:14 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Cool. It was just advise so you know where you stand. I think you will probably use it more than your expecting to. There very addictive. Lol
Old 13 August 2011, 07:44 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madmerlin
"I like the Blue Ones"

talking from experience ...lol

deffo check the front sub frame , mine was well gone and needed to replace it

deffo go for the sti
Old 13 August 2011, 10:49 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi ignore all the STI comments, a JDM STI wagon is the rarest car in the UK. Had they brought them here back in 2002 I'd have been first in the queue...

As stated clutch transmission and engine should all be quiet and operate smoothly.

But I've never seen a rotten WRX so far.

dunx
Old 14 August 2011, 08:55 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say check for accident damage, knocking rear suspension, and when test driving the car should pull nicely up the rev range without flat spots.
There's a good thread on buying advice somewhere - use the search to find it.
Lastly, I'd actually avoid cars with dump valves and induction kits if the rest of the car is standard and especially if it's not been mapped for them.

Oh, and economy wise you should also realise Scoobies only run on Super unless you pay for a dual map. So your fuel costs will go up regardless, unless you run the beemer on it.
Old 14 August 2011, 10:07 AM
Krystal-K
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
I'd say check for accident damage, knocking rear suspension, and when test driving the car should pull nicely up the rev range without flat spots.
There's a good thread on buying advice somewhere - use the search to find it.
Lastly, I'd actually avoid cars with dump valves and induction kits if the rest of the car is standard and especially if it's not been mapped for them.

Oh, and economy wise you should also realise Scoobies only run on Super unless you pay for a dual map. So your fuel costs will go up regardless, unless you run the beemer on it.
I would definitely avoid dump valves etc and want a bog standard one....didnt know about them running only on Super but me and the wife have got ourminds set on one now so will have to swallow it. What does 'dual map' entail/mean. I do know someone who maps cars and contracts to VW/Audi so that wouldnt be a problem. Is it advised or should you just run it on Super to be safe. Will search for the buyers guide...thanks
Old 14 August 2011, 11:38 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I doubt wether you will find an unmolested 10 year old impreza

The Bug DENSO ECU does not have the room for dual maps......simply run it on v-power or similar

Shaun
Old 15 August 2011, 07:49 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt wether you will find an unmolested 10 year old impreza

The Bug DENSO ECU does not have the room for dual maps......simply run it on v-power or similar

Shaun
Just to be clear, wasn't suggesting the OP needed to find an unmolested car, but rather to avoid cars which have been trev'd by Max Poweresque lads who don't really know much about Modding Scoobies, except the standard approach they used on their old Saxo ;-)

Simon seems to reckon he can do it via ECUTek Shaun. I currently have two switchable boost profiles on my bug WRX Std ECU using this approach.

To the OP, a dual map allows you to run two switchable ECU maps, so you might have one for economy and one for power.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 15 August 2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 15 August 2011, 10:21 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Bugeye Scoob

My comment wasn't aimed at your post....rather at the OP's comment in post number 19 about wanting a "bog standard" one

As you say it's a matter of finding one that's been tastefully modified rathet than max-powered.

I too have an EcuTeK re-map on my Bug. I can switch to a boost restricted mode by the old trick of Full throttle and rear screen demist. It's not a dual map as there isn't enough room on the bug ECU to run dual maps.

Shaun
Old 15 August 2011, 10:23 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

"KojaK" has one that has a rear ARB upgrade... and a partial exhaust swap.

Std. will last for ever.

dunx