Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterless valeting! whats your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2011, 09:51 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Waterless valeting! whats your thoughts?

I am looking at starting up a new business in the waterless valeting scene.
Reason i am looking at the waterless style is, i was a previous owner of a concours RS Turbo series 1 custom which never saw rain hence never saw a water wash and was always detailed without water by myself.
The benefits of waterless valeting is you have no van which means no van insurance, no carrying water and no risks of van break ins.
Waterless systems spray the panel and wipe with a microbfibre cloth after the chemical has emulsified the dirt and is lifted off without scratching the panel, and everything else can be done in line with a full valet inc interior hoovering etc as the size of generator needed will be much smaller to run a wet n dry vac, porter cable etc as opposed to a pressure washer which uses approx 200 litres of water per car per wash that all goes down our drains full of chemicals not to mention the weather we are up against in winter where you spray the car with water and it instantly freezes on the car and causes skid pans which are dangerous.
waterless gets no chemicals on the driveway and the results are outstanding and i do it to my car every time i clean it.
I am looking at this as a business venture and wanted everyones feedback pros and cons for and against water washes to waterless.
It is an alien concept to people cleaning there car without water but all the concours car owners use this method for shows etc and it is eco friendly.i am looking for votes for water against waterless.
Old 04 August 2011, 10:04 PM
Daz187
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I run a valeting company that uses the waterless detailer. It's very good and once a customer has come to us, I would say 90% come back. The finish on the Autoglym product we use is very good. However, we found that it was only affective on very good reasonably dirty cars. For instance, In the winter when the cars are caked in dirt and salt, It doesnt work as good.. So we've installed a jet wash. We jet the cars down. Then put them in our bay for the treatment.. Great for mobile, but I think you still need a jet wash.

However, if your going to be dealing with top of the range cars that never get dirty, its great. But normal Jo public, you will need a jet wash, or a very high risk of scratching the customers car..
Old 04 August 2011, 10:05 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Hmm, I think most on here are rather dubious about the waterless systems. OK for lightly soiled cars but it would scare me on a properly dirty car, especially as mine is black!
I've considered a waterless cleaner for when you arrive at a show, for instance but no more than that. I need to be convinced!

JohnD
Old 04 August 2011, 10:25 PM
Bing-Bong
Scooby Newbie

This concept may be a little unorthodox on cars, but I never use water on my bikes, if that is any help.
Old 04 August 2011, 10:37 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good for the uninformed unfussy masses tbh. Come near my car with it and I'll floor you with my jetwasher !
Old 04 August 2011, 10:47 PM
mylilscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fordrsrickc
I am looking at starting up a new business in the waterless valeting scene.
Reason i am looking at the waterless style is, i was a previous owner of a concours RS Turbo series 1 custom which never saw rain hence never saw a water wash and was always detailed without water by myself.
The benefits of waterless valeting is you have no van which means no van insurance, no carrying water and no risks of van break ins.
Waterless systems spray the panel and wipe with a microbfibre cloth after the chemical has emulsified the dirt and is lifted off without scratching the panel, and everything else can be done in line with a full valet inc interior hoovering etc as the size of generator needed will be much smaller to run a wet n dry vac, porter cable etc as opposed to a pressure washer which uses approx 200 litres of water per car per wash that all goes down our drains full of chemicals not to mention the weather we are up against in winter where you spray the car with water and it instantly freezes on the car and causes skid pans which are dangerous.
waterless gets no chemicals on the driveway and the results are outstanding and i do it to my car every time i clean it.
I am looking at this as a business venture and wanted everyones feedback pros and cons for and against water washes to waterless.
It is an alien concept to people cleaning there car without water but all the concours car owners use this method for shows etc and it is eco friendly.i am looking for votes for water against waterless.

i wouldnt bother mate i do a lot of detailing myself and the last thing that i would ever use is that!! regardless what they say its rubbish swirl marks leaves little scratches because of tiny particals of dirt....

nothing better then a three hour polish theres a shine then theres a proper deep shine be happy dont go down that route!!

waterless jetting, claybar, snowfoam, polish, wax

Last edited by mylilscooby; 04 August 2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04 August 2011, 10:51 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

i think my target market is going to be the concours show scene that i have a large number of contacts within,. thinking back when i used the waterless system i used to porter cable polish the car and use halogens until i saw no swirls in my paintwork and waterless sprays are ok when wiping in one direction on a dusty car, i can see what you are saying re very dirty cars and it would probably make me cringe i read other threads about legislation and laws about proper drainage etc and how it is going to be illegal to run or operate a hand car wash site etc without drainage tanks etc.
So trying to counteract this impending issue that will soon be prevulant.
More thinking me thinks lol back to the drawing boards guys as i have read a few posts and all prefered water but what are we all going to do when laws come in where you cant even flush harmfull chemicals like bleach down your toilet haha because with the way this country is going, its only a matter of time like San Diego and Germany for example where it is illegal to wash your car at anything over than a designated car wash site,.
it will come a point where hand car washes will be banned as they have no drainage systems and use a lot of strong acids and alkalines that all go into our drains and they are opening up everywhere.
Waterless in my opinion might be the only option which could cause aforementioned marring to the paint and roler washes at petrol stations will come back into use and jet washes at morrisons etc where they pay thousands on proper drainage that seperate all the chemicals..and the way forward will be the detailers dream machine polishing the swirls and scratches out.

Last edited by fordrsrickc; 04 August 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: More content
Old 04 August 2011, 11:12 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Before biting the bullet and starting up a mobile valeting business, what is the best way to generate business so you have a regular income as i would be leaving my secure job so want to be safe in the knowledge that i am paying my bills etc. i dont want to be door knocking and cold calling businesses all the time to get business as i could spend all day doing this and get no work,. how do you secure contracts and whats in the content of the contracts for regular work and best places to pitch for the contracts and best ways and places to advertise etc any advice will be appreciated,.
Old 04 August 2011, 11:16 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you a member of detailing world? If not then I suggest you do and read the stickies
Old 04 August 2011, 11:23 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Are you a member of detailing world? If not then I suggest you do and read the stickies
Im on it are the stickies re waterless valeting and does it have any advice on drumming up the business revenue.
Old 04 August 2011, 11:33 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Go around your local car traders.....not the big dealers the small pitches and try and get a few on your books .
I know two.....neither off them like to clean them up they send them out to be done and just use those micro fibre dust brushes to keep on top of them
Old 04 August 2011, 11:37 PM
mylilscooby
Scooby Regular

Before biting the bullet and starting up a mobile valeting business, what is the best way to generate business so you have a regular income as i would be leaving my secure job so want to be safe in the knowledge that i am paying my bills etc. i dont want to be door knocking and cold calling businesses all the time to get business as i could spend all day doing this and get no work,. how do you secure contracts and whats in the content of the contracts for regular work and best places to pitch for the contracts and best ways and places to advertise etc any advice will be appreciated,.

i do this 4 days a week in my time off from my secure job and i have a few friends that own gar garages go to them speak with the manager and get a trial its the best way i got in with lancester motors that deal with astons and jags in there body repairs!! facebook is another fantastic way i started my prices at £20.00 inside and out and it got a lot of attention give it ago buddy part time dont just jump into it its easy money so my advise is take your time trial and error!! TBH why dont you contact all car shows and have your own detaqiling stand at an event to detail cars i reckon that would make a killing?? have a few ppl helping you out
Old 04 August 2011, 11:41 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our new business loses £300 a month on a good day ....but it keeps idle hands busy LOL

It's probably never a good idea to try and make a hobby into a big money spinner

http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk/busi...nd-up-1.725650

Shaun
Old 04 August 2011, 11:43 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mylilscooby....How do you square that with the taxman / NI etc ??

Shaun
Old 04 August 2011, 11:49 PM
mylilscooby
Scooby Regular

what the tax man dont know dont hurt!! i look at it like i have paid too much tax and NI working 90 hours over 4 days paying stupid amounts of tax! so i dont bother informing the tax man on the cash in hand jobs becuase it makes up for the low paying jobs that i do so it kinda evens it self out!
Old 05 August 2011, 09:05 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

as the dragons would say....Im out
Old 05 August 2011, 11:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I regularly use Autoglym fast shine & lube (comes in 1 gallon bottles) to clean traffic film off my garaged cars after firstly dusting off with a feather duster. They also get a quick dust off with the duster before being parked in the garage every day (takes literally 30seconds)

Only if the car is driven on a wet road or in winter do I conceed to getting the bucket, sponge and hosepipe out (mainly to remove all the road salt from underneath thats rusting all my suspension/subframe parts).

My one car hasn't seen a drop of water for nearly 12months! (only gets sunny day use, and is only every cleaned with the above, along with plenty of waxing )

As for taxman dodging - you HAVE to put something through the books, otherwise they'll smell a rat ( especially if your lifestyle/living/savings/spending arrangements don't correspond to your declared earnings), so don't come crying when they do eventually come round and then back date what you owe over a ten year period

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 August 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05 August 2011, 04:28 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Im on it are the stickies re waterless valeting and does it have any advice on drumming up the business revenue.
What that site doesnt have about every aspect of 'detailing' aint worth knowing lol
Old 12 August 2011, 03:15 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the input guys. Not been on here for a while as I have been on detailing world, joined and there is a wealth of knowledge on there and I am attending various courses on detailing and machine polishing advanced level in the coming months and decided against waterless and will be out and about soon mobile detailing when funds permit
Old 12 August 2011, 03:34 PM
kevin w
Scooby Newbie

i use that greased lightning showroom shine(29.99 for 3 x 1liter bottle's) from ideal world its got to be said its good stuff well impressed with the result,i own an 1995 N reg impreza which is red and looks gooooooooooooooood when been cleaned with the showroom shine :-)
i would recomend to every one and its so easy to use spray wipe with one cloth and then buff up with another microfiber cloth...................
Old 12 August 2011, 03:39 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wise move to keep away from waterless cleaning

You will do ok with a polisher