Sponsored by:

Performance Diesels ????

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2011, 05:36 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Diesels ????

A few of my mates have recently bought 'newish' diesels. One, who has a Honda Civic 2.2 says, 'fastest car I've ever owned', and another with a BMW 123d says, 'like s**t off a shovel'. I've never driven one but my big chance came today when my Sti went in for its first service. The dealer gave me a Saab 93 td150 as a courtesy car. Well, what a disappointment, all this low down torque supposedly giving excellent over-taking capability was nothing more than a gentle push in the back. If that's an example of a 'performance diesel' then you can keep 'em for me.

Last edited by paulbu; 22 July 2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 22 July 2011, 05:56 PM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

I agree mate, I hate diesels I was behind a guy yesterday in a tdi vauxhall vectra he was blasting off in and out of the traffic and his car kept putting out black smoke, he thought he was king of the road pah! I wish I was in my sti instead of the 1.2 polo I was driving, i'd of shown him, pesky diesels

Last edited by wr pete; 22 July 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 22 July 2011, 06:03 PM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has a BMW 123d and I have to say it's a very nice car. More than quick enough for day to day driving with significant torque. Add to that comfortable interior, 40mpg and strong residuals and its a wise buy IMO however depends what you want, does it give the excitement of a turbo powered petrol engine? No. Will I be keeping my Scoob? Yes
Old 22 July 2011, 06:33 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the astra sri 1.9cdti 150 bhp. Its ok but not much fun. black smoke all the time when ya put foot down . A boring drive really compared to a petrol car.The only benefit is 55mpg which i why i suppose there popular. Not a patch on the sccob.
Old 22 July 2011, 06:36 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a remapped BMW 335D and you'll change your mind
Old 22 July 2011, 06:45 PM
wr pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Try a remapped BMW 335D and you'll change your mind
I knew someone would bring up the bmw 335d tell you what nearly had my sti once an Audi q7 4.0 tdi god dam it was fast I was in shock it was wet at the time and he caught me of guard but for a big 4x4 it was a beast, the guy had a big grin on his face so it could of been modified.
Old 22 July 2011, 06:47 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

123d is a QUICK car, 204bhp standard, can remap to around 265bhp with just a map.
Old 22 July 2011, 06:52 PM
westallc
Scooby Regular

a 335d remapped is epic on a different level imo

amazingly fast and pulls like a train as does the 135d

the big names bmw merc jag audi etc etc there engine all have big power but again if i had 50+ k to spend then i would expect a well defined fast diesel engine !!!!
Old 22 July 2011, 06:52 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Even the 330D can be remapped to in excess of 500FtLbs torque!
Old 22 July 2011, 08:28 PM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barnshaw
123d is a QUICK car, 204bhp standard, can remap to around 265bhp with just a map.
I'm trying to convince my mate to remap his 123d as he's getting bored with it....and I'm keen to see what it's like with the additional power :-)
Old 22 July 2011, 08:31 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

I'm having my 335d remapped next week...not that slow as it is..

Alan...
Old 22 July 2011, 08:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

German diesels are fine and dandy ... but, for pure value for money pulling power - the Honda 2.2 Diesel is without equal.

Match it to a nice looking Civic 3 door and you've got something which delivers in all areas for a fraction of the silly money the Germans want!

OH, yes, it's fully loaded too ... within the price quoted ... no options wanted or needed.

And it pulls like a train .... overtaking performance is mind bending, stomach churning and shocking.

I was a Diesel hater until I discovered this gem of an engine/car combination .... throw in 55 mpg and 340 Nm of torque and you would be mad not to!!

No DPF either

Honda Civic Type S GT 2.2d .... the thinking mans performance car for the 2010's onwards.

Last edited by pslewis; 22 July 2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 22 July 2011, 08:59 PM
Mollymoo666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulbu
A few of my mates have recently bought 'newish' diesels. One, who has a Honda Civic 2.2 says, 'fastest car I've ever owned', and another with a BMW 123d says, 'like s**t off a shovel'. I've never driven one but my big chance came today when my Sti went in for its first service. The dealer gave me a Saab 93 td150 as a courtesy car. Well, what a disappointment, all this low down torque supposedly giving excellent over-taking capability was nothing more than a gentle push in the back. If that's an example of a 'performance diesel' then you can keep 'em for me.
Originally Posted by pjarvis6666
I have the astra sri 1.9cdti 150 bhp. Its ok but not much fun. black smoke all the time when ya put foot down . A boring drive really compared to a petrol car.The only benefit is 55mpg which i why i suppose there popular. Not a patch on the sccob.
Same Fiat engine in both, cracking engine. I had it in my Astra Sporthatch, stick on a DTUK tuning box and you are talking 210bhp, 350lbs of torque, fantastic machine, loved every minute of having it
Old 22 July 2011, 09:08 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

8.6 0-60 is hardly a performance car. A massive 3 seconds slower than your Turbo 2000. Add to that the dull drone of a basic 4 pot diesel with a tiny power band...No thanks.
Now a 6 cylinder Audi, BMW, Mercedes diesel or even a Volvo 5 pot is in a different league to a value branded Honda

Your 55mpg soon diminishes when you try to keep up with anything remotely performance orientated.
Performance diesels come from premier brands. Honda, sadly, don't fall into that category.
Old 22 July 2011, 09:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
8.6 0-60 is hardly a performance car. A massive 3 seconds slower than your Turbo 2000. Add to that the dull drone of a basic 4 pot diesel with a tiny power band...No thanks.
Now a 6 cylinder Audi, BMW, Mercedes diesel or even a Volvo 5 pot is in a different league to a value branded Honda

Your 55mpg soon diminishes when you try to keep up with anything remotely performance orientated.
Performance diesels come from premier brands. Honda, sadly, don't fall into that category.
I did say it was the THINKING man's performance diesel ..... 0-60 times are for the uneducated in all honesty ..... it shows a complete lack of understanding of what is needed in the modern age, in the real world and at real world speeds.

Badge snobbery costs money and gets you nowhere ...
Old 22 July 2011, 09:23 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

clarkson said that the 335d was kept at the level of power when it leaves the factory cos it would probably been better than the much more costly M3
Old 22 July 2011, 09:33 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mollymoo666
Same Fiat engine in both, cracking engine. I had it in my Astra Sporthatch, stick on a DTUK tuning box and you are talking 210bhp, 350lbs of torque, fantastic machine, loved every minute of having it
I also had 150sri cdti but with the regal performance map!!!! Surprised a few people in it but I still ended up selling it for another scoob!!!!
Sod the petrol!! Sod the insurance!!! I just like driving me scoob
Old 22 July 2011, 09:35 PM
73henny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Honda Civic Type S GT 2.2d .... the thinking mans performance car for the 2010's onwards.

What a surprise. Couldn't help yourself Lewis.

For what its worth, the BMW diesels are in different league to your obsolete and non-saleable soot chucker, and you know it.

Thats what really annoys you isn't it? You thought you were getting a bargain, when in actual fact the dealer saw you coming and thought "I can shift one of these old engines onto this guy before we're not allowed to sell them anymore"
Old 22 July 2011, 09:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The BMW diesels are only in a different league if you are looking at the silly prices asked (and paid by the badge snobs).

In the other departments the Honda is simply better value by any measure .... performs as well, better equiped, look better, better interior.

Last edited by pslewis; 22 July 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 22 July 2011, 09:44 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

The term 'performance' when applied to a car is about the rate at which the vehicle is able to increase its velocity be it 0-60, 30-70, 60-80 or whatever.
Power to weight, in other words BHP per ton is the prime factor and in this respect, the BMW 535d which is just about the fastest production diesel around, is about the equivalent of a 250 bhp Impreza. Diesels may have their share of low down torque, but what they do lack is good old BHP. Bearing in mind that I am used to driving a car with around 180 bhp more than the diesel that was loaned to me today, it is little wonder that I found it a bit tame.
Old 22 July 2011, 09:44 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Performance diesels are the future
My wrxd has now reached 27k and is fantastic and is now averaging 47.8 mpg as it loosens up and has no real world performance difference to my classic turbo which I still drive

Only thing is they have seemed to have disappeared from the Subaru price lists
Think the exchange rate has not been favourable with my spec now well other 25k compared to some great VAG group cars and BMW etc
Old 22 July 2011, 09:58 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

We have a 57reg 330d and as standard it is pretty quick and the low down torque is so good for over taking etc, i am trying to convince the missus that we should get it mapped I would definitely consider getting a mapped 335D to replace the scoob if that day ever comes to move on.....
Old 22 July 2011, 10:01 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I did say it was the THINKING man's performance diesel ..... 0-60 times are for the uneducated in all honesty ..... it shows a complete lack of understanding of what is needed in the modern age, in the real world and at real world speeds.

Badge snobbery costs money and gets you nowhere ...
You drive a Honda, synonymous with the elderly and not a performance orientated brand, a budget brand infact.
Clearly you were unable to stretch to a far superior BMW 520D or the Impreza WRXD.
Not all of us are forced to shop in the bargain bucket world of motoring that is (diesel) Honda motoring.
Just because its the thing for you, does not make it the thing for everyone.
You are the last person I'd trust to talk about real world, you have told so many untruths on here over the years, you'd struggle to lie straight in bed, let alone on a forum .
You don't think, Pete, you dictate.
You remind me of my mother in law funnily enough. She lives alone and admits she's lonely too.
It's her way or no way.You show a remarkable resemblance.
Old 22 July 2011, 10:02 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

The BMW diesels are only in a different league if you are looking at the silly prices asked (and paid by the badge snobs).

In the other departments the Honda is simply better value by any measure .... performs as well, better equiped, look better, better interior.

Honda interior has a cheap feel to it but compared to a classic scoob it may seem like luxury
Old 22 July 2011, 10:10 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 73henny
What a surprise. Couldn't help yourself Lewis.

For what its worth, the BMW diesels are in different league to your obsolete and non-saleable soot chucker, and you know it.

Thats what really annoys you isn't it? You thought you were getting a bargain, when in actual fact the dealer saw you coming and thought "I can shift one of these old engines onto this guy before we're not allowed to sell them anymore"
Is Pete's car fitted with the condemned 2.2 CDTI engine not to continue into the facelifted model?
That will increase its residuals, no doubt
Old 22 July 2011, 10:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I know I am outnumbered by badge snobs .... no bother at all - I know I drive the superior vehicle.

I will repeat what I said .... Honda Diesel - the THINKING mans choice ... whatever you say cannot change that fact.

I'm not dictating to anyone what to buy, simply offering deeply thought through, logical, sensible, accurate advice. I'm no fool, I do not waste my money, I do my homework ... my eyes are not clouded by 'Badges'.

But, I am older than most on here, I'm much wiser and I don't care what people think of my choices .... what someone can take from my words of wisdom is whatever they choose to.

The high desirability of the diesel model will secure a fine residual as they are as rare as hens teeth

Last edited by pslewis; 22 July 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 22 July 2011, 10:17 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

But, I am older than most on here,

The high desirability of the diesel model will secure a fine residual as they are as rare as hens teeth
Deluded. New car diesel sales overtook petrol sales in 2010. Diesels are far from rare. However you agree the Civic is a car for the elderly.

Last edited by s70rjw; 22 July 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 22 July 2011, 10:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Elderly/Wise/Clever ... yes.

You're point being?
Old 22 July 2011, 10:27 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

bmw drivers are k.**** end off they think they can run my wife nicole off the road ill ram them fookin first t. wats
Old 22 July 2011, 11:01 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Elderly/Wise/Clever ... yes.

You're point being?
You're driving an inferior, out dated diesel from a budget brand.
When the facelifted Civic arrives later this year, it may have an engine which may rival premium brands. Your car never will. You must be so cross with yourself

Quick Reply: Performance Diesels ????