Sponsored by:

mods and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2011, 12:44 AM
Daniaxeman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods and insurance

How much are ppls mod's pushing up their insurance or are ppl keeping quiet? Afraid to tweak my ride too much incase I get slapped with a hefty insurance quote next time around
Old 21 July 2011, 01:56 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in the insurance section and speak to Moley. He will sort you out with a good price that includes any mods! To no declare any mods would just be stupid. If you have any sort of bump and they look over the car then kiss good bye to any payouts!
Old 21 July 2011, 11:20 AM
skyinsurance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Daniaxeman
How much are ppls mod's pushing up their insurance or are ppl keeping quiet? Afraid to tweak my ride too much incase I get slapped with a hefty insurance quote next time around
All three Scoobynet insurers (A Plan, Keith Michaels and Sky Insurance) cater for modified cars. If you are going to insure without disclosing modifications then potentially your insurance is not worth the paper it is written on.OllieSky Insurance
Old 21 July 2011, 11:23 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

It's a no-brainer.
Part of the cost of modding your car is the extra insurance cost.
Old 21 July 2011, 11:36 AM
Daniaxeman
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong, is never not declare a mod I just wondered how ppl afford to run their rides. I take it the insurance guys on here are better than the standard companys then?be nice to get a cheaper deal next time round so I'm left with a little spare cash. What kind of prices are ppl paying? Or is that something ppl like to keep disclosed
Old 21 July 2011, 11:49 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't get me wrong, is never not declare a mod I just wondered how ppl afford to run their rides. I take it the insurance guys on here are better than the standard companys then?be nice to get a cheaper deal next time round so I'm left with a little spare cash. What kind of prices are ppl paying? Or is that something ppl like to keep disclosed
Totally agree with previous comments - people who don't declare their mods deserve to get a payout of zero if they have an accident, as the assessor will be likely to note the modifications, and potentially void your insurance. There's no reason not to, unless you live in a really high insurance area - in which case it's probably cheaper to move than insure a high performance car!
Incidentally if you don't say where you are mate then prices will mean virtually nothing.
After all, if I live in London Vs a rural area where crime is much lower, the prices will be cheaper and nothing to do with mods.

Personally, I found modded insurers to be way cheaper (we're talking over £200) than the mainstream companies like Admiral, Direct Line, etc, who don't allow mods, hence I've been with KM for the last 6 years.
These companies take the view that if you spend money on your car you're less likely to drive it like a total tool - in my case they'd be right!

Last edited by MrNoisy; 21 July 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 21 July 2011, 12:34 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong, is never not declare a mod I just wondered how ppl afford to run their rides.
If you are planning a certain set of mods, you'll have some idea of what the parts will cost and what it will cost to have them fitted/tweaked. Call your insurers before you spend any money and discuss your plans with them and factor that cost into your budget. If you can't afford it then it's no different to saying you wanted a bigger turbo but had to settle for a smaller one because it was too expensive.

As for disclosing my insurance costs, it largely irrelevant what I pay compared to you unless you know my insurance details, such as age, location, driving history etc.