Wink

A Cossie....
Old 28 March 2001, 11:03 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Penni,

I think you were absolutely correct to be suspicious as this does indeed sound very, very dodgy.

If only more people were less gulible then this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Take it you didn't do a 1471 to get his number and tell the police. (Not that they would do anything, it's far easier to stop people for speeding to get their figures up)

Old 29 March 2001, 10:06 AM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Angry

I currently have my WRX up for sale, despite the ad reading 'no canvassers' I have had several time wasters and calls from other publications that can either sell your car or has ques of people looking to buy a scoob.

However, the other day I had a strange phone call from a chap who identified himself as Paul from (name of mag I can't remember) as he mumbled it. Saying 'quelle surprise' he has lots of people looking for a Subaru like mine. Then would I be interested in having their information sent to me about advertising with them, and if I could just give him my full name and ADDRESS he would get the INFORMATION in the post to me right away.

I felt very uncomfortable with this, as most canvasers tend to launch into a sales pitch immediately and try to get you to part with your credit card number there and then.

I told the guy to e-mail the details to me and he said yes this will be done right away, needless to say three days on I have still not received this information.

Maybe I just have a suspicious mind, but it just didn't feel right... yeah sure give you my address so you can come round and nick my car... no chance.

So any of you selling you car maybe just be aware of this.

Penni
Old 29 March 2001, 10:52 AM
TimsEvo
Scooby Newbie

Question

Penni

Why are you selling it? What are you getting next?
Old 29 March 2001, 12:04 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

I am selling both MX5 and Scoob, scoob particularly because it doesn't go anywhere anymore just sits there and it's such a waste, she's lucky if she does 20 miles a week, I have got to the point where I have to take her out just to keep the battery charged.. this is a waste of a brilliant car.
A 206 cabrio is of interest at the moment to replace both.

Hi Mike... I would probably have the same problem with a Cossie wouldn't I?

1471 as you would expect they had blocked the number...

P
Old 29 March 2001, 12:05 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hang on a minute. What would you have done if the guy had said "can I come and view it tonight"?

Given him your address, no doubt!!!

If I wanted to get an address from a classified ad, that's certainly the approach I'd take - far more likely to be given the address than by canvassing.
Old 29 March 2001, 01:12 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by kryten:
<B>Hang on a minute. What would you have done if the guy had said "can I come and view it tonight"?

Given him your address, no doubt!!!
[/quote]

Or as mentioned in another thread, arrange to meet at a neutral place like a superstore carpark, or better still a garage forcourt so his can can be seen on their CCVT...

Trending Topics

Old 29 March 2001, 02:02 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Except that all the advice about buying a used car is that you should never view somewhere that you can't verify that the owners is kosher. And certainly never buy a car you have been offered on a petrol station forecourt. Unfortunately a degree of trust that is often abused is required by both parties....
Old 29 March 2001, 03:23 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

So it's a no-win situation. You can not take them to your house for fear of it getting nicked the next night, and you can not go somewhere neutral for fear of the buyer not beliving you're genuine...

Personally, I say 'lets meet at the petrol station and then you can follow me to my house'. Then make sure the missus takes a sneeky photo or two of them and their car, just to be on the safe side

Old 29 March 2001, 09:25 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

If I was buying a car an the owner wouldn't give me their address to come and see it, thats it no sale, sorry no half-way meets. You could be told, yeah meet me at a petrol station and then and you can follow me home, or follow me down a desserted dirt track where I can nick your wallet and car! The arguement works both ways.

Maybe that's why it's so hard to sell an Impreza, you guys won't let people come and look at the damn things. I agree with Kryten, far easier to say your interested than pretend to be a canvesser, I don't give them the time of day.

Wait until Subaru someone or other phone you, they are great, when I advertised my twin Turbo Legacy they called up but they don't buy imports, er so why call??? Muppets.