Sponsored by:

de-cat?????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2011, 07:23 AM
johnski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool de-cat?????????????????

im looking at getting a hayward and scott full exhaust on my bugeye wrx, is it worth getting it de-cat? or should i just leave the cats in? does it make much difference to the power de-catting it?
Old 11 July 2011, 09:06 AM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnski
im looking at getting a hayward and scott full exhaust on my bugeye wrx, is it worth getting it de-cat? or should i just leave the cats in? does it make much difference to the power de-catting it?
Peronaly I just prefer the cat-back system, gives it a nice tone without doing your head in on long runs or motorway miles......thats just my preference tho
Old 11 July 2011, 09:18 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes quite a lot of power difference. Assuming you are having it remapped it could be around 30bhp difference.
Old 11 July 2011, 09:28 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you intend to performance tune it, removing the cat is the first priority, as it restricts everything you do otherwise. If the object is to just make it sound nice, then a cat back system will be fine, and won't require any other work.
If you want to remove the cat, you have to arrange re mapping, or there won't be any point to it.
You'll have to put the cat back for the MOT. OR you can fit a sport cat. A 200 cell one, such as the Prodrive or Milltek version costs around £500. There are cheaper 100 cell sport cats which will pass an MOT if the engine is properly warmed!
In actual fact these cars have three cats, one before the turbo and two afterwards. From the initial tuning perspective, the after turbo cats are the ones to remove. Moving on from there, larger turbo etc, you'd want to remove the up pipe cat as well.