ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Definition of Trader

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2011, 01:29 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definition of Trader

Now I don't want this to be regarded as troublemaking at all, and we all know who the traders are on here, but where is the line in the sand?
For example, I have bought items when I find them at bargain prices with the full intention of selling them on for a profit, that profit going to upgrade my car. Would I be regarded as a trader? Is it intention or volume of items for sale that defines the trader?
Just interesting to know, as I cannot really define it personally, the line is too blurred.
Old 06 July 2011, 01:35 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

trader = regestered company to me
Old 06 July 2011, 01:37 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
trader = regestered company to me
Yeah, I suppose if I want it black or white then that is as good as any definition. What about someone who buys cars to break? We all know that Imprezas go pop every now and then, and people cant afford to repair them. That is where the front garden scrappy comes in.......
Old 06 July 2011, 01:40 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles
Yeah, I suppose if I want it black or white then that is as good as any definition. What about someone who buys cars to break? We all know that Imprezas go pop every now and then, and people cant afford to repair them. That is where the front garden scrappy comes in.......
I think it still goes back to that same definition. If you buy something from a trading, regestered company you are covered by trading standards laws. If you buy from a DIY un regestered breaker then its a 'sold as seen' sale so effectivly a private seller.
Old 06 July 2011, 02:45 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The rules cover this:

With regards cars for sale we take the same stance as many online car sales websites and deem a user with more than 4 car sales per annum (Per annum is counted from January 1st) as a professional/part time car trader, thus plus membership will not cover it and he/she must register as a trader or cease selling at once. This is to protect our members from unscrupulous part time car traders trying to make a living from ScoobyNet by using our user base to tout their goods.

Any user found to be selling an unusual amount of car parts may also be deemed as trading due to the current popularity of this as a way to earn money in the Subaru scene. Generally speaking, people do not buy whole cars just for the driver’s seat and then have to sell the rest on via ScoobyNet as some members would like us to believe. If you want to trade in parts, this is the place to do it, but you will need to pay your way like everyone else.

Commercial posts are forbidden unless they are placed by members with AA status. Any commercial posts by non AA members will be deleted immediately.

Generally speaking, members should not be making a profit from other members. To clarify, we do not condone the buying and selling of goods purely for profit by anyone other than an AA status member. This is not easy to police but we will attempt to do so in order to protect the traders from unfair competition.

You have to define Trader as someone using SN to make money in this case
Old 06 July 2011, 02:52 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

and as Al says:

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Can I please step up here.

Now I know you RTM some stuff, but what alot people do not realise or appreciate is we cannot say "xxx" is a trader without proof! Alot of sales posts over two months isn't enough.

Its not that we are scared, its that we need proof to take action. Business address or an ebay shop for example is ideal information to pass to us to get swifter action.

A PM just saying "this guy is a trader" or "this person is selling alot of stuff" sadly make it very time consuming to find proof and its easy to miss something. Because someone is currently selling alot of stuff, doesn't mean they are trading. Garage clear outs or left overs from a broken car being two common examples (and excuses).

To make matters worse, people lie. Countless times we send out PMs questioning their trading activities only to be told "I'm having a clear out of parts I built over the past ten years (or whatever)". We give them benefit of the doubt, only to find 6 months later they are still selling lots of stuff...exactly how much stuff did they build up!?!?! And sifting through posts/threads (manually) we find its all different parts to the original ads, not just bumped/repeated ads. We PM again, guess what the response is? "I'm having a clear out!, I'm not a trader etc etc." :

Then we take action; but in some cases its taken over six months to build up enough proof they are selling as an income.

Consequentually we've had arguments over the limits of how many random parts being sold by one user over a continued period constitutes as too many for a private individual.
Old 06 July 2011, 06:11 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

" Generally speaking, people do not buy whole cars just for the driver’s seat and then have to sell the rest on via ScoobyNet. "

I know a man who bought a hawkeye STI for the gearbox...

LoL

dunx

P.S. Obviously it owes him more than the value of the gearbox, so it will get broken for spares...
Old 06 July 2011, 06:57 PM
SLAB
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been accused of being a trader, which am not, but some on scoobynet have it in there head that i am. i just want to move up a few years which would mean my other 2 imprezas need to go to pay for my new project 2002 bug. the parts am selling i am taking massive loss due to paying trader prices now i want to sell them on i get emails saying am trading.
why dont you limit none traders so many items a month that way the traders can still get one with there job, and you lot wouldn't be wasting time
Chop chop Stu lets but this to bed
Old 06 July 2011, 07:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I have bought items when I find them at bargain prices with the full intention of selling them on for a profit
Generally speaking, members should not be making a profit from other members. To clarify, we do not condone the buying and selling of goods purely for profit by anyone other than an AA status member.
Myles = trader. Simples!

unless the woolly 'generally speaking clause at the start of the quote allows some leeway there LOL!
Old 06 July 2011, 08:31 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Myles = trader. Simples!

unless the woolly 'generally speaking clause at the start of the quote allows some leeway there LOL!
*****, youve got me!! I will pay my £42.50 trader fee forthwith.......
Old 06 July 2011, 08:38 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

*****, youve got me!! I will pay my £42.50 trader fee forthwith.......
Don't get me wrong as I am not having a dig at you, but the fact is by those rules you are a 'trader'. Tbh if someone wants to buy a few parts and take a chance on making a few quid on them then to me that hardly constitutes being a trader, but I guess the line has to be drawn somehwere.
Old 06 July 2011, 08:43 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Don't get me wrong as I am not having a dig at you, but the fact is by those rules you are a 'trader'. Tbh if someone wants to buy a few parts and take a chance on making a few quid on them then to me that hardly constitutes being a trader, but I guess the line has to be drawn somehwere.
I know you are not, but I am really curious to see what the definition is. By the mods def, I AM a trader. Volume doesnt necessarily mean trader does it? The seller could be a hoarder!!
Old 06 July 2011, 09:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Out with the dictionary:

Noun 1. trader - someone who purchases and maintains an inventory of goods to be sold.

Or to confuse matters further:

trade
   [treyd] Show IPA noun, verb, trad·ed, trad·ing, adjective

–noun
the act or process of buying, selling, or exchanging commodities, at either wholesale or retail, within a country or between countries: domestic trade; foreign trade.

a purchase or sale; business deal or transaction.

an exchange of items, usually without payment of money.
EXPAND

–verb (used with object)
to buy and sell; barter; traffic in.

to exchange: to trade seats.

–verb (used without object)
to carry on trade.

to traffic (usually followed by in ): a tyrant who trades in human lives.

to make an exchange.
EXPAND

–adjective
of or pertaining to trade or commerce.

used by, serving, or intended for a particular trade: trade journal.

Also, trades. of, composed of, or serving the members of a trade: a trade club.
—Verb phrases
trade down, to exchange a more valuable or desirable item for a less valuable or desirable one.

trade in, to give (a used article) as payment to be credited toward a purchase: We trade in our car every three years.

trade off, to exchange something for or with another.
Yeah, not easy to define. LOL

What we mean on SN is mainly if you are selling on for a profit, or wherever we consider you to be doing this as part of an income, you are a trader.

Generally we apply this to serial sellers. If someone is a hoarder then techincally there is only so much stuff they can hoard. For example if someone has a "clear out" then once they are cleared out, thats it. But if we find them selling another load of stuff, we have to question if they are actually what we call bedroom or back garden trader (I've seen some people actually fill their entire house with car parts with zero intention of using them on their own vehicle - this we classify as an income). If a person is not registered as a business with the HMRC, it doesn't mean they are not a trader or a business; its just a case they either haven't been found out or their income is to low to apply whatever tax is due.

In the end of the day all of these rules came about due to people basically taking the mickey, and as a consequence we had to clamp down so that Joe Blogs with his spare dump valve who was selling nothing else actually has a fair look in when he puts up an advert.
Old 06 July 2011, 09:31 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the end of the day all of these rules came about due to people basically taking the mickey, and as a consequence we had to clamp down so that Joe Blogs with his spare dump valve who was selling nothing else actually has a fair look in when he puts up an advert.
Spot on and in alot of cases the Joe Blogs is selling better quality as it's come off his pride and joy and not some faceless car breaking which was definitely plaguing snet