Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospective Scooby owner - Opinions on this one?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2011, 07:29 PM
carpy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective Scooby owner - Opinions on this one?

Hi everyone

First post on here. Have come from the Audi scene and just sold my 550bhp Audi S4 to make way for something a bit more sensible! Taken a while to decide what to get, but I keep coming back to Scoobys! I love the look of the Blobeye STI's (in black) and so am beginning the hunt for one at the moment!!

Have found this one near to me, but mileage is really high. Has had engine rebuild so guess this isn't an issue, but does it look like a good car apart from this? Noticed a few good ones for sale on here but they have all gone now........

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

Thanks for the help & hopefully I'll be in one soon!!
Old 26 June 2011, 07:50 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Firstly hello and welcome, next thing what is your budget as there is so much choice out there but its hard to recommend you something that is worth 10k if your budget is 5 if you get me perosnally I would not entertain buying a car of that mileage engine rebuild or not, keep in mind all bushes, pipe work etc would of done almost 150k and I feel you may spend a lot of time in a garage replacing bits n bobs which all mount up.

Also if budget allows I would consider the later 2005 blobeye, revised interior and wider rear track but that is depending on budget.

Happy hunting
Old 26 June 2011, 07:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Looks a bit tatty to me and I would want to know who rebuilt the engine and how. Although the engine is relatively young everything else has 144K on it and won't last forever.

If you have more budget available I would hang on for a better car with less miles.
Old 26 June 2011, 08:24 PM
carpy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. Budget isn't set in stone but didn't really want to commit too much cash after the Audi has raped my wallet repeatedly for the past 2 years!

Ideally wanting to buy something around the £6k mark? Not too fussed about having lots of modifications, or crazy bhp / torque figures. Just want something that's reliable, reasonably quick and handles well! It will be used as my main family car for a while.

I don't know much about the Scooby models / variants, but what I do know is only really like the blobeye versions, with the STI rear spoiler! Oh and has to be black too!!!!

For all the petrolheads on here (umm everyone then) here's a quick vid of a 3rd gear pull in my Audi. Turbos don't kick in till about 4000rpm.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1279/newx.mp4
Old 26 June 2011, 08:33 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Judging by the mileage,kerbed wheels and the "old style" hands free kit it was possibly owned by a salesman!!

Last edited by scottydog137; 26 June 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 26 June 2011, 08:35 PM
carpy
Scooby Newbie

LOL yup well I've binned that one now anyway. It was just close to me, and looks exactly how I want mine to be. Minus the kerbed wheels and stained seats of course........
Old 26 June 2011, 08:36 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

With a 6k budget I would be looking at a v5/v6 sti due to four doors and a family car, mist would have a few choice mods which would be a bonus. If the door issue was not a concern then a type r of similar year. If you are after a newer build car I would say go for a bugeye sti, not everyone cup if tea but they are a great base car, six speed box, brembo brakes and what is looked at as one of the strongest engines out of the factory and can run 450bhp all day long. The bugeye is a more a refined drive over the classic shape so may also be better as the family car just depends if you like the looks, for me a prodrive bugeye sti on a decent set of 18's dropped s little looks the nuts.

Check them out
Old 26 June 2011, 08:47 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I agree with above go with a pristine bug with that budget as will be buying trouble with a 6k blob sti, need to increase budget to about 8k if you really want a blob that's well looked after.
Old 26 June 2011, 09:09 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daz1968
I agree with above go with a pristine bug with that budget as will be buying trouble with a 6k blob sti, need to increase budget to about 8k if you really want a blob that's well looked after.
wrong 8k for a blob sti even a looked after one 5k tops bugeye sti 3.5k to 4.k its a buyers market
Old 26 June 2011, 09:33 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

That's what I said 8k for a good blob sti but I seriously doubt you will find a good prodrive style bug for 3.5k they will break for more than that if all ok. Maybe a buyers Market for cars the owners can't afford to keep and hence probably skimpt on the servicing and hence not a good one to buy. Good well maintained cars are hard to find plenty of badly treated tat for sale at low prices but if you want a good one you need to pay a premium to get it, can't understand why people think they can get a minter for peanuts I should know as spent over six months finding mine but then I am fussy when it comes to spending my hard earned and wanted the best I could find.
Old 26 June 2011, 09:39 PM
carpy
Scooby Newbie

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Can't believe I missed it by about 3 days!

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...ica-black.html
Old 27 June 2011, 11:20 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
With a 6k budget I would be looking at a v5/v6 sti due to four doors and a family car, mist would have a few choice mods which would be a bonus. If the door issue was not a concern then a type r of similar year. If you are after a newer build car I would say go for a bugeye sti, not everyone cup if tea but they are a great base car, six speed box, brembo brakes and what is looked at as one of the strongest engines out of the factory and can run 450bhp all day long. The bugeye is a more a refined drive over the classic shape so may also be better as the family car just depends if you like the looks, for me a prodrive bugeye sti on a decent set of 18's dropped s little looks the nuts.

Check them out
But he said he only likes blobeyes
Old 27 June 2011, 01:12 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
But he said he only likes blobeyes
Wrong the OP asked for advice and opinions, so that's what I gave also he actually said he

LOVES THE LOOK OF THE BLOBEYE

So to means he may consider others, even the one in that link is still £1000 over budget so can't see someone dropping that much. For me a prodrive bug would be the best option for the OP to take, plus when some funds are available a front end conversion coukd be done
Old 27 June 2011, 01:16 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Wrong the OP asked for advice and opinions, so that's what I gave also he actually said he

LOVES THE LOOK OF THE BLOBEYE

So to means he may consider others, even the one in that link is still £1000 over budget so can't see someone dropping that much. For me a prodrive bug would be the best option for the OP to take, plus when some funds are available a front end conversion coukd be done
Which bit of the post below did you miss?

Originally Posted by carpy
I don't know much about the Scooby models / variants, but what I do know is only really like the blobeye versions, with the STI rear spoiler! Oh and has to be black too!!!!
Old 27 June 2011, 01:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If you can't cope with bugeye looks then fair enough but theres no difference mechanically between a bug and pre-DCCD blob (UK anyway)

I actually like Prodrive Bugs more than blobs. Rather spend £6K on a nice Prodrive bug than £6K on a rough blob.

In fact, if you can find a JDM "Prodrive Style" you get the Prodrive front bumper but I believe the Spec C shell (roof vent) although I don't think it got DCCD. There are only a handful in the UK.
Old 27 June 2011, 05:50 PM
carpy
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies so far! Just to clarify a few things......

1) Car has to be a blobeye STI in black! I appreciate now that the bugeye is the same mechanically but part of the enjoyment factor for me is admiring the car myself. The bugeye just looks odd and wouldn't do it for me at all. I'm not keen on having to convert the front of the car either.....

2) Budget of £6000 was just a figure that I came up with when I started looking. It's not set in stone, and if it takes more to get into a decent STI blobeye then I'll revise it accordingly!
Old 27 June 2011, 06:01 PM
Keta
Scooby Regular

I wanted a Blobeye in black too. Mine is a 53 plate with 53k miles. Its a Prodrive performance pack one and I am the second owner from new. I set a budget of 7k and got this over for 6600.

It had no service history so I have spent 400 changing everything service wise. Its in really excellent condition and drives superb. I fully believed the lost service history as the owner was wealthy and everything I have changed looked good, even the cambelt had been done but I changed it anyway.

You will find a good blob Sti for 7k as they aren't selling but also some wrecks. I've only had mine a few weeks.
Old 27 June 2011, 06:55 PM
james28
Scooby Regular

I too only a few days ago wanted a blob sti but found an immaculate 30k 04 plate wrx ppp within my budget so chose that instead or waiting for a specific car to turn up.And i have to say i am over the moon with it plenty of power and torque.Good luck finding one
Old 27 June 2011, 07:21 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

budget depending but have you looked at the RB320 very nice exactly what you are after bit out of you reach mind :-(

Last edited by m@t STImulation; 27 June 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 27 June 2011, 07:36 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

Which cost more like £17k, If you looking at £6k/7k Blob I'm guessing your not in the market for RB320. Blob STI with 03/04 plate are probably what your looking at FSH well looked after and lower miles the better.