Sponsored by:

Cloud of Smoke and Burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2002, 02:29 AM
KwD_Sti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Yesterday while at the lights of a national speed limit, I decided to practice my 0-60 time as this is my first time owning a 4 wheel drive car (STi 7 in case you wanted to know), my starting is not good, so when i tried it i sort of accidently gave a bit too much revs (almost 7000) and dropped the clutch to bitting point and so on, to my surprise and horror my car sprinted faster than it has ever gone (that is the nice surprise) but when i looked back a big cloud of smoke was in he rear view mirror so i slowed done and there was this burning smell from the car which lasted for almost a minute before it went, i thought i'd busted the car and began to worry but there are no lights to say that there is anything wrong with the car and it seems to be working normally, i was just wondering has anybody encounted anything like this before and if so is it normal? Sorry that this is a long one but I am a bit worried thanks for your time.

Kim
P.S. Is it virtually impossible to wheel spin an impreza cause I have tried many times but failed, or am i not trying hard enough? cheers for your help.
Old 22 April 2002, 06:03 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

This cloud was your clutch staying behind.
Old 22 April 2002, 09:12 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

eloudan beat me to it.

The smoke was 15,000 miles of normal clutch use.
Old 22 April 2002, 09:34 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Yup, you left your clutch behind so id be careful now as i dont think this item is covered anymore under subaru warranty for abuse!
As with most things, abuse them and they will break eventually and putting all that power through your transmission isnt a very good idea when you can get virtually the same effect from 4k on the rev range
Spinning the wheels on the other hand is possible but you only get a second before it grips then flies ;0

Tony
Old 22 April 2002, 06:43 PM
turbo wrx
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same experience in my WRX MY01 when it was a couple of months old with 2k on the clock. I was on the way to a liquid lunch with several work buddies, and was waiting to enter a busy roundabout, I floored it at about 5000 revs and a nauseating burning smell was the result that lasted for a minute or so. I have not repeated the exercise since, and none of my work colleagues have come back for a repeat performance! Clutch seems fine so far, but then again it's only got 7k on the clock!
Old 22 April 2002, 06:59 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ha ha! That's brilliant! At least you can say you've launched your car now! As the others have said though, do that too often and you'll be spending money at an alarming rate replacing clutches, tyres and gearboxes!
Old 23 April 2002, 02:04 AM
KwD_Sti
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for all your help, just hope the cars fine as it does only have 2500 miles on the clock and I definitely won't do that again.
cheers
Kim