ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

rebuild count down ???

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2011, 09:36 PM
KeethTeeth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild count down ???

I'm constantly having a nose online @ for sale and wanted ads etc, and i keep on coming across the same thing, Firstly i would like to stress my car is NOT for sale nor am i looking for another car.

I'm just nosey lol

a few points i'd like discussed

When should a Subaru engine be rebuilt i know this depends on servicing etc but is there a general rule on the amount of miles ? i see i lot of ad's stressing they want low mileage cars or cars that have had a rebuild around the 100k mark.

It also makes me chuckle that these people also want to pay peanuts for these examples, but i suppose it's a buyers market at the moment and we all try to get things as cheap as poss tbh.

Secondly,
The recommended Subaru service schedule, many of us adapt this to suit our own requirements, So whats best FSSH or FSH ?
Old 14 June 2011, 09:41 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

over 100k wouldnt bother me if its been serviced on time, every time. People focus too much on mileage imo.
Old 14 June 2011, 10:31 PM
scouser321
Scooby Regular

full subaru service history makes no difference these days. didnt stop me getting offered peanuts for mine (mileage 97k).
Old 15 June 2011, 12:11 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Its not always the mileage that would show weather a car is worth the money the owners asking for it,i would look at condition,inside,outside of car,what shape body work is in,does it have chavy mods ? Or is it moded sensibly ?many factors add up to how good a car is or has been looked after but a lot of folk think low mileage is the be all ! Service stamps aint everything if owner is flogging the car to the max inbetween the servises and at end of the day you can go for the best car out there and something could still go wrong,its pot luck too.
Old 15 June 2011, 12:38 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I go on many things, you can normally tell if a cars been looked after or not. I wouldn't go for anything thats done over 100k just because if it has been abused, thats around the milage i'd imagine problems, not just engine but other parts aswell start wearing and failing
Old 15 June 2011, 01:44 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

as above mileage isnt issue as such...

owner d.i.y. imo is biggest concern...

as in owner tried to do service jobs themselves..
Old 15 June 2011, 08:10 AM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats wrong with servicing it yourself? I carry out as much work on my own car as i can, i do however keep all invoices/recipts and make a note of what work was carried out.
Old 15 June 2011, 08:27 AM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

hi keeth, i think it depends on how much use the car gets and whether you're handy with a spanner or not. When i first got mine and used it everyday i had it serviced at the dealers as per the schedule, now it is my weekend and track car and covers much less miles i do oil changes myself or at a local garage who charge me £10 for using their lift, as and when i need to depending on how much use it gets and do other bits and bobs myself.

The irony is that even though my car now covers many less miles I do more oil changes due to the extra track use it gets!!

As for rebuilds, as long as you look after your engine and run it within safe power/boost levels then it should last a long time, there is a car on BBS that ran a stock wrx engine at almost 400bhp for 2 years before he got problems and that was with 100k on the clock, (that is obviously high though )

BTW has this got anything to do with that pm you sent me on BBS?

Last edited by IainMilford; 15 June 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 15 June 2011, 07:49 PM
KeethTeeth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainMilford
BTW has this got anything to do with that pm you sent me on BBS?
No Ian this is just me being nosy the PM was about a separate issue i could do with a second opinion on