ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Whats this???

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2011, 09:28 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this???

ahreet. a few pictures of this i know its for the coolant as it says on the cap, question is whats it for and should it be gunked up like it is??

Old 13 June 2011, 09:32 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Have you recently poured copper grease in to the expansion tank lol?
I've seen a creamy/yellow gunk in oil caps before, but that's due to breater pipes, oil and moisture.

Thanks
Sam
Old 13 June 2011, 09:44 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the overflow tank and noit shouldn`t look like that, could be oil in the water
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

haha it does look like cooper grease and feels like it lol i take it, it shouldnt be like that then. the reason i'm asking is because i am losing water but not sure where from? i think it could be from 1 of the the pipes on the water tank

possibly from the above. am hoping its not the heads that have gone. its getting pressure tested on the 29th of this month to find out if it is

cheers
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Yup your expansion tank.......
Never seen one like that. you must have a problem somewhere or the cooling system has had serious neglect since the car was new
No it shouldnt be like this. it should be clean coolant. I have seen brown coolant but not like that.
Check your cap at the other side and see how that is mate
Do you have any cooling issues?
Old 13 June 2011, 09:47 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan2926
Yup your expansion tank.......
Never seen one like that. you must have a problem somewhere or the cooling system has had serious neglect since the car was new
No it shouldnt be like this. it should be clean coolant. I have seen brown coolant but not like that.
Check your cap at the other side and see how that is mate
Do you have any cooling issues?

the car temp went abit high at the weekend did not over heat tho. filled the water tank up and the temp hasnt budged since, but im having to fill it up every day
Old 13 June 2011, 09:49 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like radweld
Old 13 June 2011, 09:51 PM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysewell69
the car temp went abit high at the weekend did not over heat tho. filled the water tank up and the temp hasnt budged since, but im having to fill it up every day

Having an issue with mine at the moment mate, Not sure if mine is HG related or not, not good .
How is your oil?
Mine all good and no overheatin just returns water to expansion tank now and again on boost.
Old 13 June 2011, 09:53 PM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scottydog137
Looks like radweld

Does Radweld look as bad as that
Old 13 June 2011, 09:53 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scottydog137
Looks like radweld
could be off the previous owner. i have never put nothing in it since i have had the car. the thing that gets me is people say that if you have water in your engine then the car wont run correct (as in miss fire) but the cars running fine pulls fine aswell. it has got me head battered lol.

cheers

paul
Old 13 June 2011, 09:57 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Having an issue with mine at the moment mate, Not sure if mine is HG related or not, not good .
How is your oil?
Mine all good and no overheatin just returns water to expansion tank now and again on boost.
what would i be looking for in the oil?? watery?? increase in the level or some thing. it does seem ok to me tho. some one said to me that if water is getting into the engine then the oil level will increase but its staying the same as im checking it every day lol

cheers
Old 13 June 2011, 10:13 PM
scottydog137
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does Radweld look as bad as that
OOOHHH yes, it can do once its "done the rounds"
Old 13 June 2011, 10:59 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

i had the same issues,the car would over heat on boost though and water would get forced out of the over flow,the water levels would drop dramatically although only a small amount seen coming out,there was no evidence of water and oil mixing,oil level stayed the same but when the engine was removed and i drained the oil,the sump was full of water,it turned out to be a cracked head!
Old 14 June 2011, 12:55 AM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stu turbo 98
i had the same issues,the car would over heat on boost though and water would get forced out of the over flow,the water levels would drop dramatically although only a small amount seen coming out,there was no evidence of water and oil mixing,oil level stayed the same but when the engine was removed and i drained the oil,the sump was full of water,it turned out to be a cracked head!
i hope its not the head, i dont want to spend the money on getting it repaired as im saving for a newer shape sti. but if this needs repaired then i suppose i will have to keep it for a while longer. the thing is my cars not over heating tho. it nearly did when there was nee water init but since ive topped it up the temp needle hasnt moved its in for a pressure test on the 29th of this month i should be ok to drive until then wont i?

cheers
paul
Old 14 June 2011, 02:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

That's what mine looked like when the head gaskets went. Sorry bud.
Old 14 June 2011, 04:25 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
That's what mine looked like when the head gaskets went. Sorry bud.
if the heads gone where will the water be going? i have taken a small 90degree bend off from the water pump put a new 1 on with new clips but the leak is coming alittle furthur up?
Old 14 June 2011, 04:31 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

this is the pipe i have changed but the leak is coming from a little higher and more centre of the engine??

cheers

paul
Old 14 June 2011, 04:35 PM
robin112
Scooby Regular

Mine had that,it was radwell as previous owner put it in
Old 14 June 2011, 10:04 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is your oil?
This is usually a sign of the head gasket going if its dumping a lot of coolant, Easy way to find out is run a bit more pipe from the one that goes into the tank and put it under the bonnet to the windscreen, Go for a drive and see how much is coming out
Old 18 June 2011, 12:40 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

well looks like i found out where the water is coming from, heres a couple of pics of the water pump i removed. theres a hole where it looks as though the water has been coming out. put in a new water pump nd the leak has stopped for no any ways lol. Does any one why this hole is here and why all of a sudden it started to leak??

Old 18 June 2011, 01:07 PM
sweden
Scooby Regular

hi matey the hole is there on purpose it is designed to alert the owner of the car that the internal seal on the pump is starting to fail and that the pump it self could seize/fail and should be replaced soon as, so replacing the pump is indeed what you need to do

would advice also that it would be a good time to flush out your system as well use garden hose in top hose disconnect bottum and watch the **** come out

remove expansion tank as well and give that a good clean as it looks like it needs it lol

Last edited by sweden; 18 June 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 18 June 2011, 03:17 PM
scoobysewell69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sweden
hi matey the hole is there on purpose it is designed to alert the owner of the car that the internal seal on the pump is starting to fail and that the pump it self could seize/fail and should be replaced soon as, so replacing the pump is indeed what you need to do

would advice also that it would be a good time to flush out your system as well use garden hose in top hose disconnect bottum and watch the **** come out

remove expansion tank as well and give that a good clean as it looks like it needs it lol
hi mate cheers for the advice, i should of really changed the pump when i changed me timing belt a few weeks ago. nevermind its been changed today and the leak has now stopped. i did drain the system but didnt use the hose lol will get round to this soon

cheers

paul