Sponsored by:

How do you sell a Scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2001, 10:19 AM
Darren P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As you may have seen from the private sales section, I am thinking of selling my 1998 STI IV (very reasonably priced... ) My question is, apart from using Scoobynet to advertise (hopefully seen by trustworthy people..), what is the best way to sell a Scooby??

Surely advertising it in Auto Trader/Top Marques will just bring unwanted attention from thieves (see Fast Bloke's thread - sorry about your car(s), mate..). Any potential buyer could also be a potential thief, coming around to look at what security your house and car has and working out how best to come back and nick it.

I know I am being a bit paranoid here but better safe than sorry, so any ideas/opinions?? I have toyed with the idea of driving the car to any potential buyer's house, or meeting them somewhere non-descript like a pub or something, but then, if they are genuinely interested, this is going to raise their suspicions that I am not on the level.

Also, while we're on the subject, has anybody used Auto Trader/Top Marques to successfully sell their Scooby, and if so, how bad were the timewasters and how long did it take to sell??

Thanks.

Darren
Old 28 March 2001, 12:08 PM
Rajd
Scooby Regular

Darren,
I used the Autotrader website to sell my Alfa 156 last September. The cost is only £5 for two weeks Got a very good price for it too.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 28 March 2001, 12:35 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Here's my advice from recent experience:

Advertise on the autotrader web-site and ScoobyNet.

Only give a mobile number.

Don't give your home address out.

Meet in Tesco's car-park. Take a male friend to act as "back up".

Don't take the documents with you.

Don't allow test drives without having the full amount up front in cleared funds. I was even prepared to take the cash to the bank to check each and every note.

If they pay cash or cheque or bankers draft, do not let them take the car until the money is safely in your account and cleared. Take them to the bank if necessary to allow the bank to check it. Then and only then, release the documents. If it's EFT then check with the bank to make sure the money's there.

Don't let them come to your house to pick the car up. Deliver it to the same place, with your back up again.

All sounds a bit paranoid but a genuine buyer who understands these cars will accept this. If you've priced the car reasonably, you shouldn't have to worry about time wasters or test pilots.
Old 28 March 2001, 12:47 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

excellent advice
Old 28 March 2001, 12:56 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

It takes a very stupid person to buy a car from someone in a car park.

Haven't you seen all the programs on TV where the police turn up to some innocent persons house. They take the car because its been stolen and sold on, usually by meeting some bloke in a car park.

Theres no fool proof option, and yeah sure be paranoid, but not over the top. You'll just die young of stress.

The autotrader never usually take adverts just with a mobile number.

Its definatly a good idea not to have any documents with you until you get any payment, but photocopies are a good idea incase the purchaser wants to check everythinks there.
Never allow someone to test drive it without being with them, and it they can't or wont show you there insurance certificate, then drive it yourself.

Remember, if you were the one buying the car and the seller was over the top, or wouldn't show you documents and would only meet you in a car park with a big mate, would you buy the car - I wouldn't.

Autotrader is the best and safest option - they only give out your phone number. First meet in a local friendly atmostphere car park, not at night, and judge for yourself whether the buyer is serious. If he wants to purchase it then give out your home address.
Old 28 March 2001, 12:57 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Question

.....but what do you think that a potential buyer worried about buying a stolen car would think about meeting some guy with a mobile phone and no documents in a Tesco car park?

I appreciate your concern but I doubt whether I would consider buying under those circumstances.

Simon
Old 28 March 2001, 01:00 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I met up at the forecourt of the garage I bought my car from.
Old 28 March 2001, 01:05 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Autotrader's web site definitely takes a mobile number (or rather will only show the mobile number) whereas the magazine requires a land-line also.

I sold my car in exactly this way and I kept the buyer informed all the way along, explaining my reasoning. At no point did he have a problem with it.

I would not be prepared to meet someone at my home for very obvious reasons and a genuine buyer will understand this. If they give you the money then I guess you could allow them to your house (as they'll have the address on the V5 anyway).

It's a policy of limited worth anyway cos they can find you if you're on the electoral register in any case.

Agree with the photocopies thing but blank the address. It's up to you at the end of the day - you can put your faith in human nature and risk your pride and joy (and possibly family's safety) or you can run the risk of upsetting people who can't understand why you would be so paranoid. I know which I'd choose and I sold my car for the price I wanted to the first caller.
Old 28 March 2001, 01:09 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

The best private (phone) enquiry I got was only £250 more than the best firm offer I got from a dealer. Thus for the sake of £250 for so much greater piece of mind, it was a no-brainer.

If you read ANY 'buying a used car' guide, they will tell you ALWAYS to go to the sellers house, ALWAYS drive the car before handing over a penny, NEVER buy the car without ALL documents.......

Catch 22 anyone??

Sell to a dealer/trader, the small amount your will lose (on top of massive depreciation) is worth the diminished risk!!
Old 28 March 2001, 01:14 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Agree with GaryC's post totally. In my case, I was offered 10k as a trade in which I thought was a tad low (99 STi 5 Type R) so had to sell it privately.
Old 28 March 2001, 01:24 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

I understand the concern - when I sold mine, I was contacted by more than one dodgy sounding person. I advertised on autotrader online, and in exchange & mart, but sold it through this site.

Remember that buyers of your car have to take similar precautions to check that your car is not stolen. If I was buying a car, I would not be the slightest bit interested in meeting someone in a supermarket car park, to view a car with no documentation, whatever reasons were put forward by the seller. I want to visit the seller at their home address, and make sure all the documentation matches up.

If someone comes round to look at your car just to get your address, so they can come round and steal it later, there's not a great deal you can do. Perhaps get a partner to take a couple of photographs of each potential buyer, from an upstairs window, and ask to see a driving license or passport?

Other sensible recommendations have already been made above - have a mate with you for a test drive to make sure you don't get "jumped", and don't release the car until the funds are in your bank account, so you don't get left with a forged draft or cheque.

Good Luck!

Gary.
Old 28 March 2001, 05:40 PM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Wink

how about meeting up in a police station car park and asking the bobbies, (if theres any about!!)to check both you and the purchaser prior to any further negotiations? its got to be worth a try. pumpers.
Old 28 March 2001, 06:05 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Darren,

If you're paranoid about selling your Scooby you could - if you're willing to lose some money - sell it to a Subaru dealer.

When my old man comes to sell it, I am going to go home to be there when someone looks at the car.

If you sell from home I suggest you take precautions - get a couple of your mates to come round. If buyer has dishonourable intentions then they would think twice.

Not sure if anyone saw it but in Auto Express had little column on owner of Scoob who hung on to the spoiler at speeds of 100mph (could it withstand this?) after a thief posed as a buyer and took it off his drive.

Tom