ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How boring is standard

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2011, 09:51 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How boring is standard

I've managed to keep my 04 wrx blob totally standard (apart from backbox) since January. I'm now getting fed up with dervs passing me

What's next that isn't going too break the bank. Fuel pump, filter, centre section and a remap? What's after that and who to do the work? Might skip the first part and then go straight to the next level.

Car has done 108k but it drives and runs great (apart from rear shock knock). I'm based in north hants and really don't want to travel miles as I don't get the time.
Old 12 June 2011, 10:54 AM
suBruce
Scooby Regular

You need to do the first things first. Plus theyre cheapest and will get you some good gains. Bigger gains may come from uprated turbo, ecu, cams etc but come at a cost.
Old 12 June 2011, 10:59 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cut to the chase - built engine
Old 12 June 2011, 11:00 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Sell it and get an sti. Modifying is a mugs game unless you like throwing money away
Better still, buy one of the diesel cars that are faster lol
Old 12 June 2011, 12:08 PM
dean_gti
Scooby Regular

Exhaust, drop in pannel filter, walbro and a remap should see you beating those pesky dervs again lol......

Still wont be enough after a few months though, so fare warning it's a slippery slope you are standing atop of
Old 12 June 2011, 12:33 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 for sell it and get an sti.

By the time you have spent the cash to get any real gains your looking at circa 2k before better brakes and suspension mods which you will need,for the skipping of the first stage as you put it, you will be better off just buying an sti as you have a more valuable car at the end and will get back what you put in.

A modded wrx is just a modded wrx and as such is not desireable for a host of reasons.

And i'm not a wrx hater i loved mine, for what it was.

Money down the toilet unless your keeping it, and at 108k miles budget for a rebuild and gear box above 300bhp as many have gone below that.

but hey it's your money..
Old 12 June 2011, 12:47 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't advise him to sell his WRX and buy a STI. The WRX brigade come out in force and slam you to the ground.
I took a right verbal beating last time.

Keep the WRX, it's a fantastic car.
Old 12 June 2011, 01:25 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Lol, yes but i had an 04 wrx and as stated i loved it, and spent a fair few quid on upgrades.

But it is money down the toilet, unless your keeping it.

Knowing what i know now, and from what the op is saying, he will be better off with an sti.

simples.

It's not possible to argue otherwise, but i'm sure there are those that will try
Old 12 June 2011, 01:56 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Don't advise him to sell his WRX and buy a STI. The WRX brigade come out in force and slam you to the ground.
I took a right verbal beating last time.

Keep the WRX, it's a fantastic car.
Bless'em
Old 12 June 2011, 04:34 PM
VRS Koopa
Scooby Regular

Those pesky derv's are getting powerful these days. but as its been said unless your prepared to fork out a lot of money for the power, the sensible option is to go for an STi.
Old 12 June 2011, 04:38 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

In view of the current prices that Imprezas fetch you probably won't find a better time to buy an STi than this year, and it is a far better base for a performance package than the WRX will ever be.
And with the mileage on yours it would only really be right for a forged build which you'll struggle to justify against the value of the car.
Take the hit on yours and offload it, as you'll make back more than you lose on the buying price of the newer and/or pricier STi.
A late Blob STi with low miles looks a real bargain now.
Old 12 June 2011, 04:53 PM
Karl-WRX
Scooby Newbie

Same for me :P I'm more then happy to own a wrx i'm only 22 and insurance is insane, even more so on an sti.

But i plan to keep the car for along time so wasn't too bothered about it not being an Sti as it's a car i can build on and improve as i go along.

I've had past experiance in modding a car and loosing some money along the way but it's your car make it your own.
Old 12 June 2011, 05:02 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
+1 for sell it and get an sti.

By the time you have spent the cash to get any real gains your looking at circa 2k before better brakes and suspension mods which you will need,for the skipping of the first stage as you put it, you will be better off just buying an sti as you have a more valuable car at the end and will get back what you put in.

A modded wrx is just a modded wrx and as such is not desireable for a host of reasons.

And i'm not a wrx hater i loved mine, for what it was.

Money down the toilet unless your keeping it, and at 108k miles budget for a rebuild and gear box above 300bhp as many have gone below that.

but hey it's your money..
It doesnt have to cost 2k. Collect the stuff slow time and you can afford to wait for bargains. I did and it cost me less than £800 for 218-320ish bhp.
Old 12 June 2011, 05:34 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

I`m a wrx owner and im in the process of upgrading mine, Ive bought a Walbro 255 fuel pump, 3 port boost solenoid ( I know most will say thats pointless at this stage but I`m looking to change injectors and turbo nxt yr some time) K&N panel filter, prodrive sports cat and second decat, s/s exhaust from second decat and sti tmic/scoop and tray. All I need now is the front and rear disc and pads from Ian Godney, 1.3 rad cap, cdp front and rear drop links.

Its not cost me a fortune prob about £300 ish so far and prob another £300 to get the rest (plus map and fitting by Richard Henry Motorsport/Andrew Carr £450). Ive been collecting bits for just under a yr but im in no rush and I plan on having it quite some yrs yet, Yes I would have liked an sti but 2 kids and a dog said wrx wagon (I know they do JDM STI wagons but at the time of buying my car I couldnt find a decent one and I just didnt have the time to wait)

I know the sti has supierior components but im no track man and having driven my friends sti (bug sti prodrive) yes I can feel a difference but not that much I want to sell my car and buy one right this min. Granted I will get an sti when I get rid if I can find a decent JDM STI but in a few yrs after modding at an affordable cost will I need one is the question.

Rich
Old 12 June 2011, 06:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I do agree guys and if i sell my type r i'll be looking at wrx blob hatch as i think good jdm bug sti's are almost like rocking horse poo.

And ill be on the modding trail, but i wont be selling it..
Old 12 June 2011, 06:55 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobywrxwagon
I`m a wrx owner and im in the process of upgrading mine, Ive bought a Walbro 255 fuel pump, 3 port boost solenoid ( I know most will say thats pointless at this stage but I`m looking to change injectors and turbo nxt yr some time) K&N panel filter, prodrive sports cat and second decat, s/s exhaust from second decat and sti tmic/scoop and tray. All I need now is the front and rear disc and pads from Ian Godney, 1.3 rad cap, cdp front and rear drop links.

Its not cost me a fortune prob about £300 ish so far and prob another £300 to get the rest (plus map and fitting by Richard Henry Motorsport/Andrew Carr £450). Ive been collecting bits for just under a yr but im in no rush and I plan on having it quite some yrs yet, Yes I would have liked an sti but 2 kids and a dog said wrx wagon (I know they do JDM STI wagons but at the time of buying my car I couldnt find a decent one and I just didnt have the time to wait)

I know the sti has supierior components but im no track man and having driven my friends sti (bug sti prodrive) yes I can feel a difference but not that much I want to sell my car and buy one right this min. Granted I will get an sti when I get rid if I can find a decent JDM STI but in a few yrs after modding at an affordable cost will I need one is the question.

Rich
Start saving now for your six speed very few people get to 300bhp without gearbox issues, at least everyone I know with a 300bhp bug WRX has ended up with a six speed or sold up for an STi gearbox strength alone makes the STi preferable over the WRX if you intend to change injectors, turbo etc
Old 12 June 2011, 07:00 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

your right re gear box but I plan on having it some years so changing to 6 speed is way off as yet, but I know exactley where your coming from re 6 speed.
Old 12 June 2011, 07:05 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends for what power you want go in future.

If you want go up to 400bhp,STi are best out the box,but if you are looking for more than 500bhp you must look like me for forged internals,cbrakes,suspensions etc.,i'm still running autobox,but definitely we are looking for 6speed or PPG in near future.

Yes,6-speed you will need and in this is STi better.

Jura
Old 12 June 2011, 07:11 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Sell it and get an sti. Modifying is a mugs game unless you like throwing money away
Better still, buy one of the diesel cars that are faster lol
The only diesels faster than the standard blob cost the neck end of £45k, such as the BMW 535d.
If cheaper diesels are passing then the car needs to be checked out coz it's down on power.
Old 12 June 2011, 08:51 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

True, but every man and his dog is having his diesel remapped or chipped, and you will find it's the torque figures that count in the real world. 150/180bhp can result in torque figures in the 300's and a 2.0 wrx needs over 300 bhp to see 300Nm.
so many a rep mobile can worry a standard wrx especially in the mid range.

Dont know the numbers, but ill bet a 330d beemer will muller a standard wrx and you can pick one up for 6k these days.

Hell i'm after a circa 2000/02 audi A4 for the mrs and iv'e seen alot of the 2.5 v6 tdi up for less than 2k and that has a top speed of 163mph before a chip i bet it would see well into 400Nm with a tweek and return 40 to the gallon..

Last edited by ditchmyster; 12 June 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12 June 2011, 09:06 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

It costs only a couple of hundred quid to chip a diesel, say for example a gt tdi 150, chipped 180 bhp and oodles of torque. On a motorway there probably wouldn't be much in it. I've had several diesels and Imprezas. I'd imagine averaged out, I drove the diesel cars faster due to mpg.

The vag 2.5 tdi is a great engine, I've just had one, built for sustained high speed on autobahns. I think 45k is slightly over egging the pudding
Old 12 June 2011, 09:14 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

It costs only a couple of hundred quid to chip a diesel, say for example a gt tdi 150, chipped 180 bhp and oodles of torque. On a motorway there probably wouldn't be much in it. I've had several diesels and Imprezas. I'd imagine averaged out, I drove the diesel cars faster due to mpg.

The vag 2.5 tdi is a great engine, I've just had one, built for sustained high speed on autobahns. I think 45k is slightly over egging the pudding
What was the 2.5 tdi like on fuel in the real world?
Old 12 June 2011, 09:22 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

buy a sti i had a standard wrx so got rid after being burned off by 172s lol so bought one
Old 12 June 2011, 09:23 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

I had a convertible that weighted the same as a tank but still averaged 47 mpg.
Old 12 June 2011, 09:29 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I had a convertible that weighted the same as a tank but still averaged 47 mpg.
Wow, thats put the cat amongst the pigeons, looks like me and the mrs could be in for a treat.

Thanks

Poontang gona get some poontang
Old 12 June 2011, 09:32 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Wow, thats put the cat amongst the pigeons, looks like me and the mrs could be in for a treat.

Thanks

Poontang gona get some poontang
youre like ps lewis **** off and get back in fight club gayer
Old 12 June 2011, 09:37 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

The Elise has a better mpg at 49 mpg on extra urban Just taken a deposit on that today
I've just bought a standard uk turbo, so back to, what, 25 mpg? lol The only mod I'll do is change the backbox for £50. Been down the modifying path a few times now and just fed up of the bull5hit/cost/waiting around in dingy reception areas looking through mags that have had more fingers through them than Jordan.
Old 12 June 2011, 09:41 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
youre like ps lewis **** off and get back in fight club gayer
it is for the mrs.

i'm like royalty my blood is sonic blue mate, not like some i could mention

Last edited by ditchmyster; 12 June 2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12 June 2011, 09:57 PM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

Be warned youll never be fast enough!

Just lastnight i overtook a polo gti whilst cruising in 5th, at which he dropped a gear and went for it. Needless to say pedal met metal, however i had to wait to get into the powerband before i gained some minimal space (didnt think i would need to drop a gear), even at 130-140 he was still keeping up until we started a hill climb and i finally shook him. Anywho he foolowed me off the motorway, as we pulled up at some lights i asked him what he was running and aparently he was stage 2 *240hp* and he didnt beleive me when i told him i was stock.

Thats finalised my decision to make a few mods (looking to sit around 350 mark), even if what he told me was true it was still embarissing that i couldnt shake the little toy.

Oh and im running a stock hawk sti.
Old 12 June 2011, 10:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

You will need 400bhp in a hawk to stay ahead of the crowed

Quick Reply: How boring is standard