Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstation AST setup - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2011, 09:51 AM
Baron Sideways
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Powerstation AST setup - thoughts?

Hi guys, after some advice.

I need to replace the rear shocks on my '03 JDM STI and am tempted by the Powerstation Stage 3 upgrade:

Stage 3 - T25 Spec Kit
AST Sport-Line Suspension Kit
Rear Adjustable Roll Bar
Anti-Lift Kit
Front Adjustable Roll Bar
4-Wheel Alignment
£1695* + VAT

My question is, is anyone running this package on a Blobeye, and if so do you think it is worth the price (£2034 including the VAT)?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Old 03 June 2011, 09:57 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It is so much better than standard, so well worth the money in my book.

I ran my car on the standard suspension for a few weeks before this setup was fitted, and it was well worth the wait.
Old 03 June 2011, 09:59 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the stage 4 setup on my classic.
Absolutely awesome setup fella. Can be a little bumpy at times but the handling is second to none. They are expensive for a reason in my opinion.
Old 03 June 2011, 10:05 AM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

If you go on litchfields site and look at their type 25 package you'll see the exact same set up... I wish I had that... I have to wish for the two and a half grand first though :-(
Old 03 June 2011, 10:21 AM
Guv
Scooby Regular

If you are going on track and you are an enthusiastic driver then yes, if you just going to keep on the road and not going any whee near a tracj go for some BC's instead and save your self a grand...

You have to bear in mind that normal road ruin coilovers you could shell out 2k and find in a year or two that the rears will need to be refurbed and that will cost you, whereas with a cheaper and cheerful set you can throw away and replace.

I went through the same dilemma with the spec c although the BC's where not as good as the standard set up on the Spec C they did the job for way less than half the price..
Old 03 June 2011, 10:25 AM
henrysmith
Scooby Regular

Default AST Stage 3/T25

Have the same setup on my Hawkeye - very nice and very good on the road - the AST's seem to be very capable on the road.

been running for two years no problems. Price difference is £600-700 quid which is the difference in price between BC's and AST's - think Scoobyworld do the same setup but with BC coilovers for £1350. The AST's are twice the price of the BC's so your choice really.

Last edited by henrysmith; 03 June 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03 June 2011, 10:33 AM
Baron Sideways
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Guv
If you are going on track and you are an enthusiastic driver then yes, if you just going to keep on the road and not going any whee near a tracj go for some BC's instead and save your self a grand..
Car is used almost exclusively on the road, so I need to be happy that the AST setup will not be too hard / fidgety on the normal cruddy UK B-roads.

Feeling seems to be divided as to whether the ASTs might be entirely appropriate for everyday road use?
Old 03 June 2011, 10:46 AM
micky
Scooby Regular

ast"s are great for everyday use , i have a t25 and it is so much nicer than our std 06 sti! completely removes that choppy ride and so much better on poor b roads.
Old 03 June 2011, 11:06 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

What are BCs?

I had ASTs on an old car. The point of paying a bit extra was to get something comfortable on the road as well as capable on the track. Had some coilovers before that and they were horrible on the road
Old 05 June 2011, 09:15 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

BC's are sold on scooby world. Always a massive ad for them on the back of banzai etc too. Looked at them myself as they're pretty nicely priced
Old 05 June 2011, 09:20 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baron Sideways
Hi guys, after some advice.

I need to replace the rear shocks on my '03 JDM STI and am tempted by the Powerstation Stage 3 upgrade:

Stage 3 - T25 Spec Kit
AST Sport-Line Suspension Kit
Rear Adjustable Roll Bar
Anti-Lift Kit
Front Adjustable Roll Bar
4-Wheel Alignment
£1695* + VAT

My question is, is anyone running this package on a Blobeye, and if so do you think it is worth the price (£2034 including the VAT)?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
I have this setup on my 2006 Litchfield Type 20.

- Handling is simply remarkable
- It's by no means uncomfortable for a daily driver, imho. Stiff, but surprisingly decent ride.
- Can't comment on the other coilover options.

HTH

Andy
Old 05 June 2011, 09:57 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Had various different set ups over the years and the ast kit fitted to the type 20 + 25 is a great bit of kit, felt very balanced very planted and gave massive confidence on and off the track. Well worth the money imo. If you can justify it
Old 05 June 2011, 11:01 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Echo Stevie1982's comments: I test drove a stock UK blobeye STi and straight afterwards an AST-equipped JDM STi. Guess what I bought

Ignoring the JDM vs. UK engine differences, the ASTs are a whole heap more compliant on UK roads, and the feeling of "knowing" where the car is on the road is simply amazing.

I bought my '05 STi in 2006, with 17,000 miles on the clock; at 65,000 miles, 4 years later, I had to have the rears refurbed (one shock completely replaced actually) for £600. That was 10 track days and, of course, loads of road miles later.

Go with AST - you will not be disappointed imho.
Old 05 June 2011, 11:21 PM
ste_brough
Scooby Regular

I'll echo the comments above, I was put off coilovers when I test drove an '05 STi with BC coilovers on. They were probably set too stiff but they kicked the breath out of me on normal roads. Then I drove a Type 20 with the AST setup, simply awesome! So comfortable for road use, much better than even the standard setup!
Old 05 June 2011, 11:29 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

my hawk sti rear shocks have started knocking and ive settled on the type 25 package you mentioned above, i cant see anything else other than exe-tc and iam reliably told by a supplier than have no stock or even plans for more! . So looking forward to more opinions on the ast setup.
One thing i noticed is in the power station setup there is no droplinks included? or is this wrong/not needed

Last edited by Pramas; 05 June 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06 June 2011, 08:03 AM
paulT25
Scooby Regular

I think Iain Litchfield also does this set up from his workshop. It maybe worth giving him a ring.
I have the Full set up on my T25 , with standard drop links. I will uprate these items as I have already replaced one set on the front. This maybe the way I have to drive up the drive way?
I have Sti trailing links fitted. But hope to have the lateral links fitted or maybe rebush [poly] the standard items, with diff bushes?
I may go the whole hog and poly bush the front suspension.
Anyway I love the AST set up very compliant , and all the passengers that I have been in the car have never complained about a harsh ride.
Old 06 June 2011, 06:53 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

The one caveat I have about ASTs is the harshness on lumpy roads.

On a recent trip to Crawley from Suffolk, I noticed Essex roads are significantly poorer than the southern counties; enough to stop passengers falling asleep on longer runs.

Otherwise, no complaints - I know exactly what the car is doing all the time.
Old 06 June 2011, 10:09 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stanmo
The one caveat I have about ASTs is the harshness on lumpy roads.

On a recent trip to Crawley from Suffolk, I noticed Essex roads are significantly poorer than the southern counties; enough to stop passengers falling asleep on longer runs.

Otherwise, no complaints - I know exactly what the car is doing all the time.
I'm surprised at that Stanmo - Edinburgh's roads are truly awful and I find the ride fine.
Old 06 June 2011, 11:13 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

The old rear knocking shocks hawk problem. MINe did it under warranty luckily... next time, and there will be a next time, I'll probably go the ast route myself...you can be my guinea pig if you don't mind mate ;-)
Old 07 June 2011, 06:31 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with bc depends how hard you go 4/5 6/8 or more.
havent idea how it compare to ast if some write here they have ast and are less harsh then bc but what kind of bc he owes before?
ast 2k(most shi tty from ast- ver1 btw) with 12month warranty push me off
i will go with KW ver 3 plus stage 1

Last edited by fawor; 07 June 2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07 June 2011, 08:02 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Something I forgot to mention, mine were recently rebuilt (needed every 40-60k apparently) and uprated so they'd last longer.

They seem a little harsher than the black mk1 T25 (original ASTs, I think) that Iain lent me as a courtesy car; but is only really annoying on stretches of the A12.
Wife thought they were fine with the exception of the above.
Old 07 June 2011, 09:03 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

I have a AST stage 3+ fully braced/locked Sti, its pain to drive everyday but oh boy does it handle on the weekend !!!!
Old 07 June 2011, 12:31 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by B4D HK
I have a AST stage 3+ fully braced/locked Sti, its pain to drive everyday but oh boy does it handle on the weekend !!!!
But havent you had it slammed to the floor?!
Old 07 June 2011, 10:23 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

AST sportline 1's seem to work well on my car
Old 08 June 2011, 07:43 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the AST stage 3 on my 2003 Spec C, which was setup by Litchfield/powerstation with Geometry 4 wheel alignment. It cancels out understeer and when the dampers are dialed up tight the car is rigid,i also have whiteline strut braces front and back to finish off the job . On the track in the dry, all done up tight it's amazing. If you want more feel from your brakes dial the dampers down a couple of steps. If you want some rear feedback have the rear ARB adjusted to low or middle setting.

On the road it is an extravagent upgrade unless you have money to chuck at the car. Out of the 12 settings on the dampers if you go over 8 clicks hard on the diasl the ride becomes very bouncy and on the motorway, it is nauseating(spelling?).
If you dial 4 clicks from 0 front and 3 on back the ride is calm but there is more role.

I have mine on 7 front 5 rear on the road or on a wet track.

Having the setup diled right up with the added bonus of the DCCD dialed to the rear is fun on the track! On the road you will have to be really breaking the law to feel the benefits
Old 08 June 2011, 09:57 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Shaun
But havent you had it slammed to the floor?!
nah im just getting old and boring
Old 12 June 2011, 04:17 PM
tbtstt
Scooby Regular

Question for those of you with AST's fitted. I have AST Spotline 1's on my car (an '05 Blob STi) and I'm considering a change to the uprated AST top mounts front and rear (I'm still using the OEM top mounts).

How many of you guys are running the AST top mounts over the OEM ones? I've read comments that the AST ones are a lot less compliant for road use (which is all I use my car for), how would you guys rate them?

Cheers in advance!
Old 08 July 2011, 08:04 PM
Ilya
Scooby Regular

anyone know what alignment settings Powerstation/Litchfield use on their set-ups?
I have AST competition race kit installed along with some stiffer bars and 255 rubber allround, planning on a 4 wheel alignment this weekend, but not sure on the set-up, any advice? I'm thinking something like -2 front -1.5 raer with max caster front, what do you think?
Old 08 July 2011, 09:53 PM
S10WRC
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear Camber -2deg, Rear Toe-in 2-3' each side
Front Camber -1.5deg, Front Toe-in 3-4' each side
Front Castor +4.5deg minimum (need ALK & top-mounts for this )

Don't forget to set rear of car 10mm higher than the front

Last edited by S10WRC; 10 July 2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08 July 2011, 10:07 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's how they set mine last month

Quick Reply: Powerstation AST setup - thoughts?