Looking for my first Scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2011, 12:42 AM
JGSTIPRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for my first Scooby?

Hi guys/girls

Only joined a few days ago and just wanted to say hello!

Just looking for abit of advice on buying my first scooby, been looking around and seen a few (what seem to be nice ones) about. I'm just not sure what i should really be looking for, ie bad points (if there is any) good points etc.

i am looking for a Blobeye sti ppp if i can find one. My budget isnt massive though so ppp might be a little hard to find. Could anyone give there views on either of these? Not been clued up on scooby's i'm just not sure on the mods really? Am i better looking for unmodded?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2796507.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2851217.htm

Thanks in advance for the help

Jonny

Last edited by JGSTIPRO; 02 June 2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02 June 2011, 01:46 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Both nice impreza mate, whats your budget?
Old 02 June 2011, 01:56 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look for 2005 model on 18"(for future mods - bigger brakes) for this money and when was cambelt done with recipe not only stamp in the book,including water pump pulleys and tensioner,look on tyres( and brakes-what kind of pads and tyres on it- budget, they save money on it.
check gearbox and clutch,take hand close to exhaust-some start engine and push acceleration-check oil on hand if any run away.
take it standard,do mods later without ppp if cheaper.

1st car looks good

Last edited by fawor; 02 June 2011 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02 June 2011, 02:25 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all honesty PPP cars don't appear to command a premium over non-PPP cars. If you find one that has the pack and everything checks out then great, but don't pay a premium for it. You can easily pick up the mechanical parts that make up the PPP (or better equivalents) from the classifieds here. Fit those and have it mapped and you'll see better figures than the PPP car anyway

P.S I like the 1st car.

Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 02 June 2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02 June 2011, 09:28 AM
Boosty
Scooby Regular

always look down the lines of the car, door sills, make sure the doors shut flush, look around all the body work for any signs of contortion, make sure all the gaps throughout the panels are even each side etc. that way you can be sure it has not been in any accident, often small incedents are not recorded, so best to check. obviously things like steering wheel and pedal gear stick wear is a good indication of milage, making sure its in line with the clocks. PPP is not everything, chances are if you are looking at uprating car in the future you may replace the ppp parts anyway. BEst idea as the gent said above, is to look for a clean car, fsh, some basic mods like Xhaust, wheels, etc would be helpful, easy to chuck a few grand away on that before you have even started. I would myself look for one thats had as much work as possible done as long as it is documented and you can contact the garages that did the work.

dont be afraid to ask questions, push down on each corner of the car, grab the wheels in both hands and try to rock them, make sure there is no play in any of the joints etc.
When test driving turn steering wheel to full lock both ways and hear for any knocking etc etc
Old 02 June 2011, 10:23 AM
JGSTIPRO
Scooby Regular

Thanks everybody for your help, i was looking at the first one myself. hope its still for sale. i will give him a ring today i think. Budget is really around £7500 if i can pick on up for that. Thanks for the info on the ppp aswell, just never sure when i am looking at cars that have had other mods that i don't know but it seems like sensible mods.

Thanks again