ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

3 years old and what are the options?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2002, 09:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

My Scoobie is 2 years old soon, in for its (VERY Expensive) 30K service in 10 days time.

Of course we all cant skip on service intervals in order to keep the warranty intact - not to mention keeping our cars in order.

At 3 years old - what does everyone do??

Take out an additional warranty?

Risk it - and enjoy independant servicing?

Service it themselves and save such an amount that it covers any emergency?

If anyone takes the Extended - how much does it cost and is it comprehensive??

Pete
Old 19 April 2002, 10:01 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paid a grand for health inusrance for my Sti V. It runs out next week, with never a claim!

What are you being quoted?

Now if it was my previous TVR, we wouldn't be having this chat - GO FOR IT!

D
Old 19 April 2002, 10:12 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

At 3 years old, everyone puts gold wheels on their Scooby
Old 19 April 2002, 10:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I have no quotes as I dont face the question until 1 year away

Just thought of it so like to be prepared!!

Pete
Old 19 April 2002, 10:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You mean the car has to turn into a 'Classless Tart' when its 3 years old??? is it a warranty condition that all Scoobies get Gold Wheels fitted at 36 months???

Pete
Old 19 April 2002, 10:59 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I exteneded mine thinking I would leave the car standard for couple more years witht he relative peace of mind that the warranty offers.......WRONG!!

Air filter and Full De-cat later should negate any warranty claim.....although I could always put the original items back on when required. Will that happen? not likey.

IMHO the extended warranty is good value (includeds full Europe wide RAC cover) if you are going to keep the car standard but this means you are tied into getting your scoob serviced at a dealer. You will have to pay for the 45000 service and the 60000 service in that time, Not cheap!!

PS Gold alloys ming
Old 19 April 2002, 11:00 PM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

to extend the warranty for a further two years unlimited mileage costs around £570, as long as you do it before 60k. Mine will be 3 years old in Nov. but I'll hit 60k before then.

Still haven't decided what to do............

[Edited by Jonesy - 4/19/2002 11:07:48 PM]
Old 19 April 2002, 11:29 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

From experience with other marques, an extended warranty is a dealer warranty, not a manufacturer warranty, and isn't worth the paper it's written on should you need to call upon it.
Old 20 April 2002, 12:49 PM
burnside
Scooby Regular

At 3 years old - what does everyone do??
Watch Bob the builder and learn to use the toilet on my own.

Old 20 April 2002, 12:59 PM
ChrisB

In the same boat at the mo - got the letter from IM offering to extend my warranty. Can't decide what to do...

Extended and keep main dealer servicing but they might have a problem with my decat DP or my TSL brake upgrade.
Bin it, get some AA or RAC cover and let TSL look after the car.

Decisions, decisions. I guess I need to check if IM will cover a car with mods. Probably not is the answer I expect with the DP, although I can't see why the brakes should affect things.
Old 20 April 2002, 12:59 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

if i still have my p1 at 3yr old i will extend the warranty, on my previous scoob, a my97, i bought it in march 2000 , it was 3 yr old at the end of july 2000, end of warranty, no option of extending then as there is now, i part exd it last may with 24k on the clock and no probs, 10 months later with the new owner and 1 yrs warranty it had a new bottom end due to a seized gudgeon pin, cost 4k, im glad i got rid of it, so i will definetly renew the warranty on the p1 if i still have it
mark
Old 20 April 2002, 02:08 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

mate try this website it sounds good-WWW.WARRANTYWISE.CO.UK
Old 20 April 2002, 04:09 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

I can answer all these questions from my my97 experience now into its fith warranty year!

The warranty is done by mondial assistance.
This means subaru do not sort the probs as the extended warranty is not by the same part of the company that do the original 3 yrs from new.

Price for renewal was £349 inc VAT fo this year as the car was bought on the approved used car scheme so included the 4th year free (I got the VAT back this year! )

Last year i had a wiring loom fault on the motorway, it shorted on the bodywork ( somewhere under the rear seat) and blew the main 30A fuse straight off. Car was collected by a low loader, took 60 miles to monks heath (since intermoto 15 minutes from my house have gone!!!) Got a hire car for 12 DAYS while it was fixed! Picked the car up, abandoned the hire car and left, never paid a penny! (Cheers to Steve and the guys at monks heath).

My cigarette lighter doesnt work (for charging my phone not smoking that would be a crime in my tidy car.....) so that will be fixed when i go to 4 next service as it is a factory fitted one - i have not modded it yet

So:

Yes it is worth £350

You have full roadside support as the AA / RAC give

You are covered for all Factory Fitted parts and electrical items except standard wear & tear eg Break Disks and pads.

PPP is covered if it was factory fitted as option when ordering from new (nice but i cant see them going wrong?)

Any extras added - eg new brakes are obviously not covered and i would not put anything on your engine that could cause problems unless you get it from a dealer!

You will have the car collected and be given a hire car if you ask free for 2 days.

You will be covered for all parts and labour if it is covered under warranty eg engine replacement.

I had the 6 mth service at 39000 but was actually the 52500 service as i am doing low milage and that cost £102 next week it goes in 4 the 60000 service (even though i only have 44000 on the clock!) at a cost of £460

So over 2 years it is gonna cost ya roughly £1200 to keep the warranty ie £50 per month.

imho - its the best after market warranty you will get!

hopefull that will help....
Old 20 April 2002, 04:13 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

oh and ps - you must keep it running continuously!

If you left it for a month after the 3 yrs is up and then try and get it you will not qualify!

Also you can transfer it to the next owner so it shold be a good selling point! - Private sale with warranty! - may make the difference if there are a few in the trader etc....
Old 20 April 2002, 08:09 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I went from my safe warranted UK car to a dodgy import . Only had 12 months warranty when I brought it and felt it probably wasnt much good unless something small broke .

I look at it way if it breaks I get it fixed. If you have modded then you maybe chucking good money at it as they may reject the claim anyway. Pays ya money ............

cheers

chris
Old 20 April 2002, 10:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Deerhunter - Very comprehensive answer mate!

Pete