ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

uk turbo upgrade cost?

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2011, 08:01 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk turbo upgrade cost?

How much would it cost to get a standard uk turbo upto 300-330 bhp.
Old 17 May 2011, 08:17 PM
ac1867
Scooby Regular

From personal experience I have don the following;

Vf28 turbo (£100 from a friend so maybe more)
H&S sport cat (£60 from eBay) de cat would also be good
3" down pipe back exhaust (£100 from eBay)
Autobahn fmic (£150 from snet also came with induction kit needed)

All of the above was used so nice and cheap but buying new parts would of obviously been much, much more maybe 3 times as much.

Then there's the EcuTek re-map which was £550 + vat + RR time.

So for me 330/330 cost £1110.00 all in (ouch wish I hadnt worked that out)

All that yielded 327.9 bhp and 330 lb ft torque.

+ also budget for updated brakes! An absolute must.

HTH
Andy
Old 17 May 2011, 08:29 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

£1110.0 not as much as i thought providing you can get the parts!
Old 17 May 2011, 08:33 PM
ac1867
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neilwrx
£1110.0 not as much as i thought providing you can get the parts!
I guess no too bad. But I think I got a bit lucky with finding some of the parts.

I'm sure there are more out there just takes time to collect them all.

Andy
Old 17 May 2011, 08:56 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much would it cost to get a standard uk turbo upto 300-330 bhp.
Classic or New age?
If classic this will be expensive than New age,due on New age you can have open source remap and price is from £225-£350

Jura
Old 17 May 2011, 08:58 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

classic not newage.
Old 18 May 2011, 12:16 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+ also budget for updated brakes! An absolute must.
Depending what sort of driver he is. For me, brakes would be way down the list....
Old 18 May 2011, 12:34 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Basic rules,,,
Sort the handling and brakes out first. A 250bhp well setup classic makes a much better car than a 300bhp one with stock suspension and brakes etc.
Old 18 May 2011, 12:55 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Again, depending on what sort of driver you are. Basic rules mean nothing. I would have no issue what so ever running stock brakes with 400bhp.
Old 18 May 2011, 01:12 AM
ac1867
Scooby Regular

Granted it dies depend on what the use is, I was just quoting from my own experience and I DO need better brakes ;-) lol.

Although mainly for the track,
But there have been a couple of times where the stock brakes just haven't been up to the task.
Old 18 May 2011, 07:12 AM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

it will be for road use and the fronts will be changed for 4 pots.As far as the suspension i dont want a bone shacking ride so whats my best option?
Old 18 May 2011, 08:21 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start with the basics, what year car as you don't have 4 pots it's not an my99/00.
4 pots are ok, not brill in their standard form, for the price of upgrading to 4 pots and getting a kit that will actually stop the car time after time, you could get something much better.
Also what size wheels do you have?
For a decent brake setup you need 17's and that's added cost due to new/used wheels and new tyres.
You may also require that aftermarket ecu if you have an my97/98 car, injectors, a vf35 will be around 400 notes, a new exhaust system, brakes, health check before starting, so 1100 on one car can be pushing 2.5k on another.

Tony

Ps forgot to mention the increase in insurance too check before starting and you may need a clutch!
Old 18 May 2011, 09:10 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

I'm not saying standard brakes or suspension won't suffice, because in normal daily driving they would in a 300bhp classic.
BUT, bare this in mind.
A well setup 250bhp classic would out perform a 300+ classic from point to point. End of...
Personally, I like to be quick through the bends and don't really have any interest in fast straight line driving. I have always gone with handling and braking first. For me, power comes third.
Old 18 May 2011, 09:19 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
I'm not saying standard brakes or suspension won't suffice, because in normal daily driving they would in a 300bhp classic.
BUT, bare this in mind.
A well setup 250bhp classic would out perform a 300+ classic from point to point. End of...
Personally, I like to be quick through the bends and don't really have any interest in fast straight line driving. I have always gone with handling and braking first. For me, power comes third.

the old pirelli addage "Power without control is useless" comes to mind.
Old 18 May 2011, 09:32 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
the old pirelli addage "Power without control is useless" comes to mind.
Exactly...

If it was me and I was on a budget, I'd source some STI suspension coupled with some half decent drilled/grooved discs and good pads. You can then add some other little touches as you go, eg- strut brace, whiteline goodies etc.
If your budget is larger then maybe go with a better suspension package and upgraded calipers.

Trust me- you will enjoy your car a whole lot more (even with the power you have now) with the handling and braking sorted. You may even find that your target of 300 is not needed and decide to just add a good de-cat exhaust, filter and a map.
That would be my route anyway chap.
Old 18 May 2011, 09:46 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

BUT, bare this in mind.
I hear ya but it seems i'm just about the opposite.
Granted on my old MY99 i had Eibach springs because i felt the ride was too squashy (came from the world of bone shaking hot hatches) and i had Godpseed disks because there was a good group buy on but i had never taken the oe setup beyond it's capability.
I was always about the quick blast between roundabouts and the ability to overtake quickly - once it got to the twisty stuff i'd never really go beyond 8 tenths so never had the need to use the brakes hard and i certainly have never even thought about going anywhere near a track.
IMO, if you are taking a std impreza close to the point on the public highway where you will see real benefits from a suspension and brake upgrade then you are way beyond the speed limit. Lets face it - a Scoob ain't that bad out of the box
Old 19 May 2011, 06:06 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

If i do go ahead with a classic build it will be done over time and the brakes and suspension will be changed,im not a boy racer as such just like the extra power and never really floor it on the twisty stuff.
Old 19 May 2011, 07:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Neil, what model year is the car?

Tony
Old 19 May 2011, 07:09 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

hi tony its a 99 plate
Old 19 May 2011, 07:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Is it an MY99 or a late MY98 though? your answer about the front brakes and you changing them for 4 pots makes me think you have 2 pots on the front???

Tony
Old 19 May 2011, 07:10 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

sorry 2000 plate not that it will make a difference.

Last edited by neilwrx; 19 May 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 19 May 2011, 07:20 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Brun
I hear ya but it seems i'm just about the opposite.
Granted on my old MY99 i had Eibach springs because i felt the ride was too squashy (came from the world of bone shaking hot hatches) and i had Godpseed disks because there was a good group buy on but i had never taken the oe setup beyond it's capability.
I was always about the quick blast between roundabouts and the ability to overtake quickly - once it got to the twisty stuff i'd never really go beyond 8 tenths so never had the need to use the brakes hard and i certainly have never even thought about going anywhere near a track.
IMO, if you are taking a std impreza close to the point on the public highway where you will see real benefits from a suspension and brake upgrade then you are way beyond the speed limit. Lets face it - a Scoob ain't that bad out of the box
I completely agree with this. You always hear "do the brakes and suspension first", but some of us just love the buzz of the acceleration and blasting past on an over-take. Its not always about getting from point A to point B the fastest.

Driving fast through the bends on country roads can be dangerous frankly and is not what some of us enjoy best. I will never, ever try desperately to keep ahead of someone that wants to get past me out there, as its not worth the risk. A track car is a completely different animal really.

I have sorted my brakes and suspension, but it was a long time after the power.
Old 19 May 2011, 07:25 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

it will be for road use and the fronts will be changed for 4 pots.
soory 2000 plate not that it will make a difference.
If that's the case, you already have 4 pots fitted to your car

You can tell if these are fitted by looking at the calipers through the spokes of the wheels, they will have the word "Subaru" cast into the face of the caliper if they are the std "classic" 4 pots.
Old 19 May 2011, 07:26 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

Im the same rossboy.Its not often i dont have the kids in the back so driving fast and having a bit of fun is a rare thing for me.
Old 19 May 2011, 07:32 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeeVee
If that's the case, you already have 4 pots fitted to your car

You can tell if these are fitted by looking at the calipers through the spokes of the wheels, they will have the word "Subaru" cast into the face of the caliper if they are the std "classic" 4 pots.
sorry for being a prat but new to this.I had a 96 wrx before and never really fiddled with it unlike this one.doesnt help as not even seen the car its in a family friends lock up.
Old 19 May 2011, 07:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Brun
Depending what sort of driver he is. For me, brakes would be way down the list....
That would depend on the classic: 97/98 cars' brakes were appalling. Shouldn't have been fitted to a 208 bhp car, let alone 330bhp

OP: are you aware that 97/98 classics can't be mapped and need a new ecu? That's not cheap.........
Old 19 May 2011, 09:55 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

So you guys all bought your Imprezas to go fast in a straight line. A car that is renowned for it's handling capabilities.... Lol.
Sorry guys but I can't see the fascination with that, many cars can go like stink between the roundabouts but only some can go like stink around them. And to be scared of binning it, even bigger lol. These cars are made to be driven in anger once in a while, it's what the Impreza is all about.
Old 19 May 2011, 10:14 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

many cars can go like stink between the roundabouts but only some can go like stink around them
The Impreza is in the former group

Old 19 May 2011, 10:37 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Back to topic,
In all honesty fella your starting with the wrong car. You'd be far better off selling your UK car and buying a JDM STI. For what your gonna spend on your car you could add that to whatever you get for your UK car and get a nice STI. Much better base for modding.
And insurance wise, yes a STI is more than a UK car but would probably be a similar price as a modded UK car. You would have to tell the insurance company you have modified your car remember.
Old 20 May 2011, 06:38 AM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Back to topic,
In all honesty fella your starting with the wrong car. You'd be far better off selling your UK car and buying a JDM STI. For what your gonna spend on your car you could add that to whatever you get for your UK car and get a nice STI. Much better base for modding.
And insurance wise, yes a STI is more than a UK car but would probably be a similar price as a modded UK car. You would have to tell the insurance company you have modified your car remember.
And i agree but i dont own a uk turbo as of yet.Ive been offerd one and was planning on getting a bugeye but i like the look of late classics and for the same year sti im looking at 4-5k.

Quick Reply: uk turbo upgrade cost?