Sponsored by:

Am I being scamed?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2011, 09:18 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I being scamed?

Hi guys I have my car up for sale and recieved a message two days ago which I have since deleated as the English was terrible (I know mine is no better) and said they were from France and wanted to buy the car and take it abroad so I thought it was a scam.
I recived a phone call today from a lady who is a friend of this guys who still wants to buy the car and seem fairly legit. We arrange that while he is in England he will visit me after work to purchice my car. She then sends me
Hello,

My name is Theresa (as I mentioned during our quick telephone conversation).

I'm originally from Canada (Ontario) but have been living in the South of France for the past 20 years (met a Frenchman in Guadeloupe) ;-)

I am also in the teaching sector : I teach English to French children in three primary schools in Cavaillon (not far from Avignon in Provence).

As I stated, I have Jeremy (a French fellow) who will be coming over to purchase à Mitsubishi from a fellow in Buckinghamshire on Thursday morning (of this week).

His flight will be arriving mid-morning and the seller will go and pick him up at the airport. He'll bring the seller back to his place in Buckinghamshire and was then planning just on coming back to France (on his own).

Now he has a buddy who is interested in purchasing a Subaru (that's why I contacted you).

Jeremy has previously purchased Subaru..s

I've helped him regarding English/French language barrier so he knows the car well.

He drives them for a few months then sells them and goes over to buy a new one (his passion!! ;-)

Jeremy said that he would be willing to wait until you're out of school at four....no problem : he would like to see the car

...so, if you could please send me(him) more pictures of the vehicule (under the car, the engine, etc.....) that would be great.

Is the car in good running condition?
Jeremy's buddy would be driving the car back to the South of France (620 miles)
so he wants to ensure that all is ok ;-)

Are there any parts that must be changed?

Has the timing belt been changed recently? (up to date)

Has the oil been changed recently?

How are the tires?

Can you also let me know if there is rust under the car ? If so, could you please send us close up shots and give details (superficial, ....)

If he's happy with what he sees, he(his buddy) would buy the car from you.

Is it a UK model?
He would then need the VIN number in order to verify with Subaru France that it can be registered in France.

and Jeremy was hoping to get you on the phone at lunchtime tomorrow...but I explained that you just had a thirty minute break.....
a little difficult

...and just to let you know, I can give you the previous sellers of Subaru cars so that you can ensure/feel safe about Jeremy.
He is a young many who works hard in the dry wall sector (has his own little company) and just likes cars
He would pay you cash and I have a car's sales document ready that I can send you (that you would fill out with buyer and each have a copy)
regarding the car registration papers, it's a bit different because the car is being exported (another section of the document must be given to Jeremy)
and you must send a part into the DVLA
Fill out purple section called notification of permanent export.

I am not sure if this is for really and dont want to turn away the chance to sell my car. Also I am not too sure about sending my Vin number if they can already read my number plate to. Can they clone my car if I give this detail?

If some could please give some advice it would be great.
Old 10 May 2011, 09:28 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt sound that dodgy and as long as they are paying in cash and you can take them to your bank to deposit it then why not!
Old 10 May 2011, 09:31 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

IMO there is no reason for them to have the VIN number....Tell them to jog on fella.
Old 10 May 2011, 09:31 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

What about sending mt VIN number?
Old 10 May 2011, 09:34 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't give ANY personal details nor car details UNTIL the guy Jeremy or His buddy turn up with the cash.

Sounds like identity theft / car cloning ... you'll find the car is suddenly owned by someone else and you lose it to the police / customs!
Old 10 May 2011, 09:37 PM
neilwrx
Scooby Regular

they dont need the vin to register the car in france or even check it can be!
Old 10 May 2011, 09:37 PM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Hmm always be weary of folk in other countries.......
Saying that they are not asking for payment via western union or similar as they normal do, and they dont normally ask that much about the car and the questions are relevant......

On the other hand they are asking for the vin and there is also a lot of crap info which im sure you are not interested in???
They use their long winded explanations to rope you in to beleiving they are genuine.

I would be suspisious on this one and not give out your vin.
Or tell them you want £200 deposit via paypal and you will give them vin if they are genuine they will pay it.

Dealt with a few of these when selling cars.
Post up the email address of the buyer or google the email address if folk have been stung it will most likely come up.

All the best
Old 10 May 2011, 09:38 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

LOADS of Impreza's/Evo's/Skyline's are being bought in the UK and exported by Europeans.

Two of my friends recently sold their cars, and had similar to the above. They didn't have any problems at all.

Look at the prices of these cars in Europe at the moment, and you'll understand why they are being bought here and exported.

The guy who bought my friends Skyline is buying here and exporting 4-5 cars per week into Sweden.
Old 10 May 2011, 09:38 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

Thought so, Dam it want to sell as I need to buy a boring car. I love it but love my family too
Old 10 May 2011, 09:40 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

Take them to the bank with the cash, they will find any dodgy notes alot easier than you can.
Once cash is in bank account it becomes the banks fault should any fake notes later be discovered ( used to work in a bank and know this to be true ) .
Totally diff matter if they paid by cheque, seen foreign checks bounce even upto 6 month later, but thats not the case here, just cover yourself
Old 10 May 2011, 09:42 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pramas
Take them to the bank with the cash, they will find any dodgy notes alot easier than you can.
Once cash is in bank account it becomes the banks fault should any fake notes later be discovered ( used to work in a bank and know this to be true ) .
Totally diff matter if they paid by cheque, seen foreign checks bounce even upto 6 month later, but thats not the case here, just cover yourself
Old 10 May 2011, 09:59 PM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

cheers guys and girls, I will see how it all pans out
Old 10 May 2011, 10:04 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
LOADS of Impreza's/Evo's/Skyline's are being bought in the UK and exported by Europeans.

Two of my friends recently sold their cars, and had similar to the above. They didn't have any problems at all.

Look at the prices of these cars in Europe at the moment, and you'll understand why they are being bought here and exported.

The guy who bought my friends Skyline is buying here and exporting 4-5 cars per week into Sweden.
Thats a valid point but i dont see why they need the vin number.

A few years ago a friend of mine had his Skyline on Pistonheads. He got an email from a guy in Holland who wanted to buy the car, my mate thought it was a scam. After a few emails back and forth it was arranged that a friend of the buyer would arrive one Friday evening to buy the car and drive it back to Holland but would not arrive until 10.30pm. Obviously my mate was a little weiry so asked if i would be there with him just incase it went **** up.
I arrived about 10pm to be greeted by my mate with 2 alloy baseball bats! I asked why he had them and he said security, he had recieved a text from the guy asking if he could be picked up from Poole train station at 11pm because he was running late, now im starting to think that this isnt going to go down well.

We left the skyline on his drive and jumped in his Wifes car and drove to the train station. In the carpark was 2 Nissan 200SX's....one belonged to a guy i knew from the local jap car club. I asked the guy what he was doing here that late at night, he said he was waiting for someone and asked what i was doing there, i told him we were waiting for a Dutch fella who wanted to buy my mates Skyline....They were waiting for the same guy!

It turned out the the Dutch fella was an active member on the 200sx forum and posted up if anyone would meet him at the Train station as his own safe back up
This guy made regular trips to the UK picking up cars for his friend who laid down the money.

Must admit, it was a very smooth transaction.....but.....he didnt ask for the VIN number.
Old 10 May 2011, 10:45 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Have seen this before, don't many foreign buyers need the V.I.N. for sorting out insurance or for their version of type approval.
I can't remember but what I'm saying is I don't believe there is necessarily anything sinister about the request.

Kevin
Old 10 May 2011, 10:53 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

As people have said, aprat from the VIN part, it sounds pretty reasonable. If it were me, as long as the guy paid cash, and that cash then showed up in my account after I paid it in, I couldn't care less what the guy who bought it was doing!! even if he ran straight outside and set fire to it and did a little rain dance or something - the money would be in my bank. Done
Old 11 May 2011, 07:50 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Vin number is no biggie and easily found with a simple hpi check. Its no exactly the keys to a vault.
Old 11 May 2011, 08:02 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

france are really strict about importing cars, so I imagine it could be true.
Old 11 May 2011, 08:23 AM
NISFAN
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, sounds reasonably legit to me....

If I buy a car I would want to run an Hpi on it, so would want the Reg Number, VIN, and the V5 Serial number, as all of these are required to do the full Gaurentee'd HPi.

Last edited by NISFAN; 11 May 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11 May 2011, 08:46 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Sounds genuine mate. Think there was a guy on here who sold his scoob to a guy in Europe and as a thank you the buyer sent a video of the trip highlights including the purchase of the car.

As said if they are paying cash then you should be fine. Now the pound is worth nothing our cars are a good prospect for the Europeans.
Old 11 May 2011, 09:49 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingbuttmunch
Hi guys I have my car up for sale and recieved a message two days ago which I have since deleated as the English was terrible (I know mine is no better) and said they were from France and wanted to buy the car and take it abroad so I thought it was a scam.
I recived a phone call today from a lady who is a friend of this guys who still wants to buy the car and seem fairly legit. We arrange that while he is in England he will visit me after work to purchice my car. She then sends me
Hello,

My name is Theresa (as I mentioned during our quick telephone conversation).

I'm originally from Canada (Ontario) but have been living in the South of France for the past 20 years (met a Frenchman in Guadeloupe) ;-)

I am also in the teaching sector : I teach English to French children in three primary schools in Cavaillon (not far from Avignon in Provence).

As I stated, I have Jeremy (a French fellow) who will be coming over to purchase à Mitsubishi from a fellow in Buckinghamshire on Thursday morning (of this week).

His flight will be arriving mid-morning and the seller will go and pick him up at the airport. He'll bring the seller back to his place in Buckinghamshire and was then planning just on coming back to France (on his own).

Now he has a buddy who is interested in purchasing a Subaru (that's why I contacted you).

Jeremy has previously purchased Subaru..s

I've helped him regarding English/French language barrier so he knows the car well.

He drives them for a few months then sells them and goes over to buy a new one (his passion!! ;-)

Jeremy said that he would be willing to wait until you're out of school at four....no problem : he would like to see the car

...so, if you could please send me(him) more pictures of the vehicule (under the car, the engine, etc.....) that would be great.

Is the car in good running condition?
Jeremy's buddy would be driving the car back to the South of France (620 miles)
so he wants to ensure that all is ok ;-)

Are there any parts that must be changed?

Has the timing belt been changed recently? (up to date)

Has the oil been changed recently?

How are the tires?

Can you also let me know if there is rust under the car ? If so, could you please send us close up shots and give details (superficial, ....)

If he's happy with what he sees, he(his buddy) would buy the car from you.

Is it a UK model?
He would then need the VIN number in order to verify with Subaru France that it can be registered in France.

and Jeremy was hoping to get you on the phone at lunchtime tomorrow...but I explained that you just had a thirty minute break.....
a little difficult

...and just to let you know, I can give you the previous sellers of Subaru cars so that you can ensure/feel safe about Jeremy.
He is a young many who works hard in the dry wall sector (has his own little company) and just likes cars
He would pay you cash and I have a car's sales document ready that I can send you (that you would fill out with buyer and each have a copy)
regarding the car registration papers, it's a bit different because the car is being exported (another section of the document must be given to Jeremy)
and you must send a part into the DVLA
Fill out purple section called notification of permanent export.

I am not sure if this is for really and dont want to turn away the chance to sell my car. Also I am not too sure about sending my Vin number if they can already read my number plate to. Can they clone my car if I give this detail?

If some could please give some advice it would be great.
As I read the SECOND sentence, I can see 1000% that they are trying to

SCAM you. One really doesn't need to be intelligent to spot this, all you need is common sense, awareness and a little street wisdom!
Old 11 May 2011, 09:57 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Well then explain how they are going to scam him if they are going to come and pay cash for the car? Have you ever sold a car into Europe? I have and others have and this is normally the way it works
Old 11 May 2011, 10:06 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

As the saying goes; "Money talks".

If Pepe wants to turn up at your door with a big wad of cash, game on.

However, for an English teacher, her grammar sucks donkey bell.
Old 11 May 2011, 10:12 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
all you need is common sense, awareness and a little street wisdom!
I have all of these thanks..... and i also have a friend with £5k sitting in his bank from the sale of his car in EXACTLY the same way as above. (paid in cash, pound sterling, all notes checked by the bank at time of sale).
Old 11 May 2011, 10:15 AM
sweden
Scooby Regular

lol because shes from canada and met a man from guada means its a scam
you do realise that not every one in england goes to brighton beach for there holidays these days

airplanes matey been around for a while now

as someone that lives abroad yet has just purchased a scooby from england guess i was lucky my spelling/grammer was ok for the buyer
Old 11 May 2011, 10:17 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sweden
as someone that lives abroad yet has just purchased a scooby from england guess i was lucky my spelling/grammer was ok for the buyer
'GrammAr'

Old 11 May 2011, 10:19 AM
sweden
Scooby Regular

shh
Old 11 May 2011, 11:00 AM
kingbuttmunch
Scooby Regular

This is the last bit of the message. They should be coming tomorrow. I still dont want to send the VIN number

and once I confirm everything with him at one'ish.....I'll send you a typed copy of sales receipt where we will indicate the names and addresses of seller/buyer as well as information regarding the vehicule.

....and because he has to confirm VIN number with Subaru France....could you send that to me this afternoon???
...or if worst gets to worst...tonight (so he can contact Subaru France and confirm that the car can be officially registered in France)
...and he'll also need the license place number in order to be able to insurance with him insurance company before coming over
Old 11 May 2011, 01:03 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Well I hope it goes ok for you mate......whatever the outcome, prospective genuine buyer or scammer, please let us know, and if I was wrong, I don't have a problem owning that!

I just know human nature too well these days.

For me, it was the way the ad is written, but I may be wrong, and it's ok to be wrong, it's also my right to be wrong......sometimes!

Why does she need to tell you what job she does, what 'Jeremy' does, who he is, what business he's in.......she wants to buy a car from you, not marry you!

Greg
Old 11 May 2011, 01:04 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sweden
lol because shes from canada and met a man from guada means its a scam
you do realise that not every one in england goes to brighton beach for there holidays these days

airplanes matey been around for a while now

Were you the clever boy who failed to notice the blatant scam ad the other day on a thread on here????? Matey?????
Old 11 May 2011, 01:06 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
Well then explain how they are going to scam him if they are going to come and pay cash for the car? Have you ever sold a car into Europe? I have and others have and this is normally the way it works

READ what she is writing........why tell her life story when all she is doing is enquiring about a car for sale??????

Do you tell people what job you do and who your mates are when responding to a car ad?

They could possibly obtain his details, called identity theft....this all happens BEFORE they come with the cash

Last edited by GREGGYG; 11 May 2011 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Am I being scamed?