Help I don't know if...

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2011, 09:51 PM
jase5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I don't know if...

Hi there,

I received my99 classic sport saloon back from the garage yesterday having had a bit of body work sorted.

The rear bumper was removed, as well as the spoiler during the work.

Before going in, I'm pretty sure the rear numberplate lights worked and 100% sure the high level spoiler brake light worked!

however... NOW no number plate lights and no spoiler brake lights, I've checked the fuse that does the brake lights and the fuse is fine!

Anyone got any ideas why these would now not be working, what has the man at the garage done to my car!? / what could he have forgotten to re-connect / what is it I could do to make the numberplate lights work again as well as the spoiler brake light..? (oh and I have also checked the connections for the spoiler brake light inside the boot and as far as I can see, they are as I left them and are OK.

Also above the rear number plate where the lights are, there is a gap where I can see up into the inside of the bumper, is this right? I can't remember if i had this hole here before or whether there is a piece of bumper missing?? maybe that he has not put back??

Any answers would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!!

Jase
Old 01 May 2011, 10:20 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

hi yes there is a gap around the rear number plate lamps, check their plugged in if not just whip ya bulbs out and check them, could just be a poor contact between the buld and terminals
As for the brake light have you checked the connection into the back of the brake light!!!
Old 01 May 2011, 11:12 PM
jase5
Scooby Regular

thank for your quick reply, thats good to know I'm not missing any bumper , seems strange to have such a large gap/hole along there where the number plate lights are, but nvm, if thats the way its supposed to be lol!

Will check the reversing lights are plugged in and if no joy check the bulbs to make sure they are ok, if they are ok, I'll be stumped!

As for the spoiler, its the prodrive model, where the cable comes out a hole (just big enough for the cable and is sealed) from the underside of the spoiler, this cable then obviously goes through the bootlid and is connected to the existing low level spoiler cables, it worked perfectly before it went into the garage and now, no joy...

Regarding checking the connection to the back of the brake light, the end inside the bootlid, (I've just described) I'm sure is fine, the other end of this cable, goes through the inside of the spoiler and must go into the back of the LED brake light bar, I havent had the LED brake light bar out of the Spoiler before, as there has been no need as it worked ok to begin with, just not now!?.. So im just thinking is there any other connections anywhere else that may not have been connected back up again, or any other fuses? Quite confused!!

Many thanks for any further help or advice,

Cheers!
Old 02 May 2011, 04:00 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

You might want to check in the back of both light units as the may have removed the rear lamps and the high level stop lamps loom may plug into the back of the lamp cluster!!!

But for an easy life just run it back to the guy who repaired it and tell him whats happened and see if he can sort it out!!!
Old 02 May 2011, 05:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Spoiler "bulbs" may be LEDs, so if he disconnected and re-connected wrong way round, they won't light up.

Numberplate lights, check the connector.
Old 02 May 2011, 08:20 PM
jase5
Scooby Regular

thanks for further replies,

I got the car back on Thursday and the chap has taken the whole long weekend off, so haven't been able to take it back to him, first chance is when I finish work tomorrow at 3!!.. But having found these issues, I wanted to sort them ASAP (its just what I'm like, lol)..anyway... today before starting work I had a chance to have a little fiddle...

Number plate bulbs had blown/weren't working, either way, when I tried new ones in, they worked, so who knows, maybe I've been driving around for months without any lights on my rear numberplate lol! anyway issue fixed.. (Sorry for wasting your time guys)..

Had a look at the wiring for the spoiler too.. narrowed the problem down to the original subaru spoiler wiring and in particular the original 'connector'(don't know the name for it, sorry) but the one which can be pulled apart to allow the spoiler wiring to pass up through the boot lid allowing the spoiler to be taken off when/if you want/need.. anyway this 'connector'(connecting the wiring up to the spoiler with the wiring trough to the car) when connected simply doesn't do its job of connecting, lol!! I know this because the current does flow from the car to the connector, as I tested this by connecting the old spoiler to the connector and all is well, I then tested the wiring from the new spoiler (on the car) by connecting this to a car battery I had sitting about... and all is well!.... but when I connect the connector back together NO JOY, so there is no connection inside the connector!?? (well done if any of you managed to follow any of that and know what I'm on about! lol), however, nothing looks different about the connector now to when I handed the car over to him!? either way I think I am just going to have to remove the original connector and put in sum new bullet clips, so that I can still remove the spoiler at a later date if needed... this should fix this issue!

Thanks guys, in hindsight, may not have even needed to post, if I had just done a little investigation first regarding my lighting issues!

And as long as there IS meant to be a gap/hole in the rear bumper, above the number plate, running the length of the numberplate and wide enough to clear the number plate light housings then... ALL is WELL ..

Thanks again!