Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2011, 11:27 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which Scooby buy (again, soz)

I'm planning on viewing these two very nice lookers this coming Thursday

First up, 2000 55K miles P1 - PH link

very rare impreza p1 in pristine condition,extremely clean example with very low mileage!the car has covered 55,000 only 16,000 in the last 4 years. immaculate inside and out.full subaru service history,serviced and oil changed every 7500 miles.member of p1 owners club,and cumbrian scoobs.please ring for full spec, number 505/1000 please call 07702001835

Seller is a P1 forum member, Cumbria Scooby member and sound like it is a very well looked after car.
HKS Turbo Timer, Sports Cat, Harvey ported headers, Cosworth panel filter, Andy Carr Reamp to est 325bhp/320FtLbs. Prodrive brakes, Tracker. Full history, bought car off cousin who owned for 4 years...

Second up - Dave Garretts's Type R

This R looks a real beauty

1997 Impreza wrx type R V-limited Version 3 No /1000 (
Car was imported to uk 25/09/2007
11 Months MOT
6 months Tax
Newage Brembo's on the Front
Brand new Grooved Discs and Kelvar Pads Front (Godspeed)
New Discs and Pads fitted to rear before Christmas
Brand new 18" Inovite Tramac Anthrecite Alloy Wheels, 215/35/18 tyres
Stainless Open Mouth Decat downpipe 3"
Stainless Decat centre 3"
Brand New Milltek Backbox 3" (also has lounder backbox, see below)
Brand New Tein Springs (Standard Shocks)
Sti Carbon Strut Brace
Internal Brace (see inside pics below)
Rear Diff Brace/support
Front under car H brace
Side under car braces
Version 3 Limited Edition Interior
Sony CD and I-Pod Connector
Sti 6 rear Spoiler, Sti 6 Front Bumper, Sti Front Fogs and Sti Front Lip
Crystal Headlights, front indicators and side indicators
Sti Rear Lights
Completely rebuilt engine (By Pennine Subaru, originally from of Jag's WR1). Engine is a sti V8 which has been stripped, cleaned, aqua blasted, inspected and completely rebuilt along with the heads.
Forge Dump Valve VTA
Engine has just been run-in (1100 miles) and oil changed yesterday 15w/50 Motul ready for mapping.
Car has been professionally machine polished.
Car is absolutly mint undeneath (I can arrage for it to be put on a lift for inspection) and hasnt been waxoiled yet so you can see the original paint underneath.

Car is basically run in and ready to Map on new engine. Car comes with a second backbox (loud one which is direct swap with the Milltek for those that want a bit of noise) a K&N induction kit (not to be fitted until mapped, hence the standard airbox). Also comes with brand new Simtek ecu ready to fit!

Am updating this ad as I go.

Looking for £6400 (have put about £8k into it). Home 01947 895322 or Mob 07929067134.

Dave

Read through this thread and nuff said. The undersealing needs doing and there's no alarm, plus it needs mapping. There's no history except Dave Garrett's and it is a WRX (not STi). As Dave said - it is what it is

My thoughts:

Type R. I owned one a few years ago and sold it because the gearing was too low. I ended up going for the run around if I went out, whereas what I'm after now is a daily. Dave has said he has a spare WRX 'box he would include in the deal. This would get over my issue with gearing.

The last two cars I've bought have needed major work which the sellers did not disclose. One was a my wagon which needed a engine rebuild. If this happened again I think I would have to throw the subaru towel in. DG's R was rebuilt by Penine Subaru and has completed 1200 miles so that gives me confidence.

P1: More suited to UK roads (I'm not sure how much weight I hold with this). Nothing needs doing, it has tracker, Cat1 etc and sounds a good buy.
Biggest concern is parts as P1 bits can be mega money. I've heard a front splitter/bumper assembly costing £2K. So running costs may be alot more than the R

Both are very similar money

Over to you guys

Last edited by bonesetter; 01 May 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01 May 2011, 11:49 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P1

Shaun
Old 01 May 2011, 11:55 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
P1

Shaun
Any particular reason?
Old 01 May 2011, 12:08 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-the-hype.html

If you pick through the bones (no pun intended) of your other thread it's to do with exclusivity and poise on the road, plus the fact I've always wanted one since someone used to park one in our car park at work (minus the tragic graphics it had on it).......

Shaun

Oh, and he's a cumbrian scoob member
Old 01 May 2011, 12:13 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask the owner of the P1 if it has been serviced every 12 months. You mention: "serviced and oil changed every 7500 miles" but with such a low mileage (and only 16k in four years) it is doing way less than 7500 miles every 12 months. Not meaning to nitpick but if it has done 16k miles in last 4 years it means it is only doing 4k miles a year, and if it is serviced every 7500miles it means it is going almost 2 years at a time without a service.

It should be serviced either on the mileage interval (not sure what it is on a P1) or every 12 months, which ever comes sooner - in this case it is definitely every 12 months for it to be a full service history - if you're not bothered about this (I would be) then use it to bargain the price down . Although saying that the Type R has no known history at all and you're taking this guy's word. The P1 does look good. I've always liked the look of them. It will have weaker internals than the Type R though but if mapped correctly should be fine.

Last edited by matth76; 01 May 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01 May 2011, 01:02 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Given your requirements I think the P1 would suit better. Both good cars and I wouldn't be terribly upset if I was to be handed the keys to either. Ultimately they're both second hand cars and a leap of faith as with anything used.

Ps You've already had a Type R and I'm thinking you've got a P1 itch that just might need scratching.

Last edited by Maz; 01 May 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01 May 2011, 01:26 PM
big-gow
Scooby Newbie

all i can say is ive owned my 71k standard engined p1 for 6+yrs now ,loved every minute of it!
ive only had 3 issues in with it:had to change the maf,rear sliding 1pot brakes and suspension(only due to a shock knocking@the rear,and subaru wanting £550 to replace just that one!)so put bc coilovers on+set as close as icould to original spec.
apart from that it has been faultless!she starts first time,everytime,no engine knocking ,and i have never been bored at all in the 6+yrs shes been mine.everytime i drive her theirs a big smile on my face.
if i were u id decide if u actually are bothered if its a p1/or type r etc...then see lots before u buy one,and if u buy a mod'd one make sure its been treated+modified sensibly.
good luck in whatever you choose m8.might see u on p1woc sometime soon
Old 01 May 2011, 01:26 PM
ironbridge
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow what a decision! personally i prefer the type r.

good luck!
Old 01 May 2011, 01:28 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Type R for me.
Old 01 May 2011, 02:24 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Given your requirements I think the P1 would suit better. Both good cars and I wouldn't be terribly upset if I was to be handed the keys to either. Ultimately they're both second hand cars and a leap of faith as with anything used.

Ps You've already had a Type R and I'm thinking you've got a P1 itch that just might need scratching.
I think I would go for the P1 was it not for the original ECU map problem and possible engine failure (a good few for sale specify they have undergone rebuilds). However, this particular P1 sounds particularly unthrashed which is encouraging. The Type R has a completely fresh engine build.

Poise on the road of the P1 I would buy into, exclusivity of ownership doesn't bother me. Reliability bothers me a great deal

Last edited by bonesetter; 01 May 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01 May 2011, 02:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Without question, for me it would be the Type R.

However, it is a V Limited not an STI.
Old 01 May 2011, 02:30 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

think the P1 was originally designed for british roads and doesnt have the frantic gearing of the sti.
Old 01 May 2011, 02:41 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

P1 ratio's are still pretty close, same as STI V3 but with longer 5th.
Old 01 May 2011, 02:45 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
P1 ratio's are still pretty close, same as STI V3 but with longer 5th.
That's what I have now with my V3 STi wagon. Works very well

Don't suppose you know what a std WRX 'classic' gearing is like?
Old 01 May 2011, 02:52 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

Defo Type R.
Old 01 May 2011, 02:56 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Type r
I gave 17k for a p1 and the foooker needed a rebuild a month into ownership , was a bonny looking car though
Old 01 May 2011, 02:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matth76
Ask the owner of the P1 if it has been serviced every 12 months. You mention: "serviced and oil changed every 7500 miles" but with such a low mileage (and only 16k in four years) it is doing way less than 7500 miles every 12 months. Not meaning to nitpick but if it has done 16k miles in last 4 years it means it is only doing 4k miles a year, and if it is serviced every 7500miles it means it is going almost 2 years at a time without a service.

It should be serviced either on the mileage interval (not sure what it is on a P1) or every 12 months, which ever comes sooner - in this case it is definitely every 12 months for it to be a full service history - if you're not bothered about this (I would be) then use it to bargain the price down . Although saying that the Type R has no known history at all and you're taking this guy's word. The P1 does look good. I've always liked the look of them. It will have weaker internals than the Type R though but if mapped correctly should be fine.
Classics were supposed to be serviced every 6 months or 7500 miles not every 12 months