Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 spec c hatch as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2011, 10:16 PM
alfamarc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2010 spec c hatch as a daily driver?

hi

first post on here since 2004! new account as the old email was somewhat out of date and couldn't remember the password!

having been treated to a drive of a R205 tonight (cheers Immy - one cool car)
I'm really hooked on getting another scoob (the last one being way back in the early 90's - a 1992 legacy turbo from malcolm wilson...)

I'm not very sensible regarding daily drivers...... Holden HSV Supercharged 530bhp rwd, 993 (x51) rs 3.8 engined carrera 2, gtm libra v6, integrale evo1 and current run around a modified sportwagon gta 3.2 156 Alfa.....

so - dilemma..... spec c in white looks truely ace.... forged JDM engine but lack of full dealer warranty - or uk spec car with warranty which can be tweaked at a later date.

not after ultimate power (340-350bhp and a heavy right foot is sufficient) but want fun in a refined way. Yes I know a hawk eye etc would be rawer but I could do with a bit of 'comfort' - I say comfort loosely as the gta I have is rock hard in comparison to the R205! I love alfas but they have really lost the plot since the gta - hence going back to subaru which ticks all the boxes

i see that the 2011 spec sti's have spec c suspension tweaks? does this go for the hatches as well as the saloon?
Old 28 April 2011, 10:32 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

personally if it was me , id be looking for a hawk spec c or litchifeld type 25, rare cars but great drives and the hatches seem to have a high failure rate for the engines, although iam told that was due to an agressive map from subaru which has been corrected
If u have the choice of jdm, take that 1 every day over the uk spec car, much stronger engines

Last edited by Pramas; 28 April 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 28 April 2011, 10:43 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ UK rubbish engine fella, JDMs much stronger by all accounts ...

Spec C hatch looks great in white, go for it

TX.
Old 28 April 2011, 10:45 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

My hatch isnt spec c, but is 2 years old, and has done 30,000 miles now, its had the sh1te beaten out of it by rcm, and then by me. Its been run at 360 of each since i bought it, on 95 ron fuel.

It's in white and the road presence it carries is awesome.

The driving position is miles better than the bug/blob or hawkeye, as it is back to classic style, nice and low i n the chasis.

Mine has a few mods on it, mainly chasis wise, which make it firmer than most hatchbacks, but ist still pleasant.

Steven

ps i am actually in the process of selling it, as 3 subarus is enough, and this is the newest one, so has to go.
Old 28 April 2011, 10:48 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

hatch stis runs ok on 95 ron? dont this run the risk of det and engine damage or did subaru change the hatchs to specifically work on 95ron
Old 28 April 2011, 11:45 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pramas
hatch stis runs ok on 95 ron? dont this run the risk of det and engine damage or did subaru change the hatchs to specifically work on 95ron
It must be mapped for 95 otherwise it wuld of blown by now

JDM SPEC C all the way
Old 29 April 2011, 12:38 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

even if u go the route of map for 95 iam not seeing the point , ud lose a shed load of preformance surely, just dont seem cost effective to me, the diff is surely only a couple of quid per tank
ive opted for the meth route, 68p/ltr comapared to 1.42 for vpower, must be cheaper with better performance

Last edited by Pramas; 29 April 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 29 April 2011, 01:01 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

even if u go the route of map for 95 iam not seeing the point , ud lose a shed load of preformance surely, just dont seem cost effective to me, the diff is surely only a couple of quid per tank
ive opted for the meth route, 68p/ltr comapared to 1.42 for vpower, must be cheaper with better performance
I agree defeats the object running 95 ron.
/
Please can you shed more light on the Meth route?
Old 29 April 2011, 01:06 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by juggers
I agree defeats the object running 95 ron.
/
Please can you shed more light on the Meth route?
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...questions.html

good thread with plenty of answers
Old 29 April 2011, 01:59 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alfamarc
i see that the 2011 spec sti's have spec c suspension tweaks? does this go for the hatches as well as the saloon?
Both the hatch and saloon received the suspension updates.

Oh, and just get the JDM Spec C. You know you want to.
Old 29 April 2011, 07:42 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I'd definitely go for the Hatchback Spec C, but to correct yet another Scoobynet myth any STi factory engine after the JDM Bugeye STi come with Eutectic pistons and not forged like a lot of people keep stating.
Old 29 April 2011, 10:17 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Nope, dropping down to 95 ron made no difference in power or torque. Its been mapped for 95 by Paul at Zen.

Round here, super unlead can be anywhere from 10 to 15p more expensive than 95. So averages out at £6 a tank, now do 24000 miles in a year at an average of 24mpg, and it adds up. This is just my daily hack, so i dont want to be peeing about with meths, thats what the race car is for!
Old 29 April 2011, 10:39 AM
alfamarc
Scooby Newbie

Regarding ej25 is it just the pistons which give grief? Ie with pistons changed will the crank cope?
Old 29 April 2011, 10:40 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

95 ron the quality of that must surely be awful though?

TX.

Last edited by Terminator X; 29 April 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 29 April 2011, 11:34 AM
alfamarc
Scooby Newbie

Re 95 v 97-99 super

I do 20k miles a year in the gta - if I can't find super the car runs very poor and get 10% worse fuel economy. As such the price difference is marginal for mpg. I have a company fuel card but still watch the pennies a nit as it's my company

I haven't run 95 in a car for over 10 years except if I cant get it in an emergency.
Old 29 April 2011, 12:57 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Regarding ej25 is it just the pistons which give grief? Ie with pistons changed will the crank cope?
The ej20 was never designed with a 2.5 bore in mind they had to go 2.5 due to emission regs in Europe and the states. Even a fully forged 2.5l cosworth built engine will go due to the block. I think thicker headstuds are used but even then there's still the chance of the headgasket going.

This is why Litcho has stoped making type 25 due to all the issues after.
Old 29 April 2011, 01:17 PM
impgb270
Scooby Regular

Whats the differance between the Type 20 hatch and the new Spec C hatch ?

Nige.
Old 29 April 2011, 04:35 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by impgb270
Whats the differance between the Type 20 hatch and the new Spec C hatch ?

Nige.
Typ 20 is a performance pack from litchfield which can go on any car including the JDM Sti and spec c.

Spec c is a factory production car which is homologated for rallying.
Old 29 April 2011, 05:17 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

This is why Litcho has stoped making type 25 due to all the issues after.
Is that 100% genuine Immy? As that's a dame shame if so, as the type 25 was and is a great car.
Old 29 April 2011, 06:30 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Is that 100% genuine Immy? As that's a dame shame if so, as the type 25 was and is a great car.
Sure is straight from Litcho himself hence the reason he's created these new great turbo's

Your getting the same sort of performance at a fraction of the price.
Old 30 April 2011, 07:06 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Sure is straight from Litcho himself hence the reason he's created these new great turbo's
Best tell him to sort his website out... still says new Type-25 coming soon (which you can input your e-mail address for updates).
Old 30 April 2011, 08:29 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
Best tell him to sort his website out... still says new Type-25 coming soon (which you can input your e-mail address for updates).
Why? he can still produce a type 25 doesn't have to have a 2.5l block he might go 2.1 etc
Old 30 April 2011, 10:59 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

True, but wouldn't that be a Type-21?
Old 01 May 2011, 08:28 AM
alfamarc
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

I'll be waiting a long time for an email update then!

Think I might wait a year to buy a really cheap out of warranty 2.5 no one can sell...... Fear of a 4k rebuild should kill most prospective buyers... Then spend 7k on internals and turbo! Let's face it the cars wont have been ragged by the previous owners in case of failure and subarus official driving 'guide'

Here was me thInking Alfas were problematic - 117k miles in the 3.2 (tweaked to 260+ bhp and LSD) with very little other than wear and tear

Last edited by alfamarc; 01 May 2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01 May 2011, 11:02 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Think I might wait a year to buy a really cheap out of warranty 2.5 no one can sell...... Fear of a 4k rebuild should kill most prospective buyers...
That's assuming everybody knows of the problem, apart from the people on here i have yet to meet anybody that is aware of the issue. Had my car since August and have just had a trade in price against an R35 GTR just £1000 less than i paid (its now out of warranty and the Nissan dealer seemed totally unaware of any issues). I'm not so sure the prices are going to tumble.... but i could be wrong .
Old 01 May 2011, 11:12 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

That's assuming everybody knows of the problem, apart from the people on here i have yet to meet anybody that is aware of the issue. Had my car since August and have just had a trade in price against an R35 GTR just £1000 less than i paid (its now out of warranty and the Nissan dealer seemed totally unaware of any issues). I'm not so sure the prices are going to tumble.... but i could be wrong .
How would a Nissan dealer know what issues impreza's have?
What GTR are you buying MK1 or MK2 as there loads of MK1's about so you will get a good deal on them. Your trading in a STI hatch?

I have been offered 2.5's in part x and always offer below book just incase anything does go wrong.
Have you not read the sticky at the top of genral?

Last edited by juggers; 01 May 2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01 May 2011, 11:31 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

What GTR are you buying MK1 or MK2 as there loads of MK1's about so you will get a good deal on them. Your trading in a STI hatch?

I have been offered 2.5's in part x and always offer below book just incase anything does go wrong.
Have you not read the sticky at the top of genral?
unless its a hatch the vast majority are ok though ? its the map that seems to break the engines and redlining ofc but map can adjust that as well
Old 01 May 2011, 11:39 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

unless its a hatch the vast majority are ok though ? its the map that seems to break the engines and redlining ofc but map can adjust that as well
Theres been a fair share of hawks with the same issues.
Old 01 May 2011, 11:47 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Exactly my point, earlier in the thread it was said prices would tumble due to the engine issues. But if people don't know of the issues (i.e the Nissan dealer i mentioned) then the prices are unaffected. He was unaware of the problem so offered me a very good price. Most people apart from scoobynet regulars know of the issue.

Not sure on Mk1 or 2, more than likely Mk1. Yes, hatch STi in PX.

Yes i have read the sticky, not sure the point of that question?? My engine is going strong and is 3 years old.
Old 02 May 2011, 12:07 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Exactly my point, earlier in the thread it was said prices would tumble due to the engine issues. But if people don't know of the issues (i.e the Nissan dealer i mentioned) then the prices are unaffected. He was unaware of the problem so offered me a very good price. Most people apart from scoobynet regulars know of the issue.

Not sure on Mk1 or 2, more than likely Mk1. Yes, hatch STi in PX.

Yes i have read the sticky, not sure the point of that question?? My engine is going strong and is 3 years old.

MK2 is the new face lift 2011 version with quite a few changes cost £70k new.

I asked because I got the impression you were saying there are no issues with the 2.5 when it's plain to see there is.

I am happy that you have had 3 years of trouble free driving and hope it continues

Quick Reply: 2010 spec c hatch as a daily driver?