Sponsored by:

New Forester owner questions!

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2011, 11:41 AM
bjrustic
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Forester owner questions!

Forgive my ignorance on this, as I have only recently bought an X-reg Forester GLS so that I can temporarily take our 52 year old Land Rover (which we've had from new!) out of service for a complete overhaul. We use her in our rural business, with and without a trailer, often off-road - but not childish mud-plugging!

I've always been curious about the Forester's 4x4 ability and am, so far, very impressed (I especially appreciate the high driver's seat which helps my arthritis)! But I accept it is not true off-road workhorse.

1: Low to high ratio changes! On the Land Rover you must stop to engage low ratio but can happily change low to high on the move. But what is the correct procedure on the Forester? I have been given conflicting advice from 'experts' - on high/low and low/high changes on the move. The owner's manual doesn't exactly help much!

2: She's got Bridgestone Duelers on, but these will soon need replacing. I've used AVONs all my life on Land Rovers, cars and motorcycles... their 'Ice Tourers' are unbeatable... but which are 'the best' or most reliable all-weather, M&S 50:50 on/off-road tyres for a working Forester?

Any advice gratefully received.
Barry
Old 17 April 2011, 08:21 PM
73henny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bjrustic
Forgive my ignorance on this, as I have only recently bought an X-reg Forester GLS so that I can temporarily take our 52 year old Land Rover (which we've had from new!) out of service for a complete overhaul. We use her in our rural business, with and without a trailer, often off-road - but not childish mud-plugging!

I've always been curious about the Forester's 4x4 ability and am, so far, very impressed (I especially appreciate the high driver's seat which helps my arthritis)! But I accept it is not true off-road workhorse.

1: Low to high ratio changes! On the Land Rover you must stop to engage low ratio but can happily change low to high on the move. But what is the correct procedure on the Forester? I have been given conflicting advice from 'experts' - on high/low and low/high changes on the move. The owner's manual doesn't exactly help much!

2: She's got Bridgestone Duelers on, but these will soon need replacing. I've used AVONs all my life on Land Rovers, cars and motorcycles... their 'Ice Tourers' are unbeatable... but which are 'the best' or most reliable all-weather, M&S 50:50 on/off-road tyres for a working Forester?

Any advice gratefully received.
Barry
I've had a couple of Foresters as company cars and covered many miles in all conditions without a single hiccup.

I always slowed to almost a stop before changing ratio. Only used low off road.

As for the tyres, I always got 30k miles out of a set of Duelers, and always replaced them with another set. Found they were great in snow as well despite not being all weather tyres. I bought a set of the ice-tourers for the wife's 1 series BMW and agree they are great. But they're only for the winter.

Hope this helps.
Old 18 April 2011, 10:13 AM
bjrustic
Scooby Newbie

Thanks - that's helpful.

My concern is that the Land Rover uses a dog clutch for engaging low ratio (hence the need to stop) - I presume the Subaru's low ratio is like the Land Rover's Fairy overdrive 2-speed in line, Laycock overdrive or epicyclic 2-speed, operational on all gears rather than a true high/low ratio transfer box?

The lack of a proper workshop manual doesn't help! Good old Haynes!

Barry