Sponsored by:

track day tuition

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2011, 04:35 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track day tuition

who has taken there car on track , under tuition?

i really want to do this to learn how to drive my car properly and use it to its full potential

is this the best way , or just do as many track days as you can and teach yourself??
Old 13 April 2011, 05:16 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I did one with MSV at brands hatch, Ok it's not "Cheap" but VERY good

Originally Posted by MSV
If you want an intensive course, packed with one-to-one tuition and hosted by some of the best instructors in the UK - then look no further. The course will not only make you a faster and more confident driver, but it will also save you money - driving with smoothness and mechanical sympathy will drastically reduce the wear and tear on your vehicle.

Tuesday 19 April Brands Hatch £375
Friday 29 April Brands Hatch £375
Friday 29 April Snetterton 300 £375
Tuesday 10 May Brands Hatch £395
Tuesday 17 May Snetterton 300 £355
Friday 20 May Oulton Park £399
Wednesday 8 June Oulton Park £399
Tuesday 14 June Brands Hatch £399
Wednesday 22 June Snetterton 300 £365
Tuesday 28 June Brands Hatch £399
Tuesday 5 July Oulton Park £399
Friday 8 July Brands Hatch £399
Wednesday 13 July Snetterton 300 £355
Old 13 April 2011, 05:39 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

knockhill offer the service and its fairly cheap and the guy i was out with on my seat leon day was superb

id just do a couple of lessons to get confidence in my ability and my car
Old 13 April 2011, 05:54 PM
Mike @ ApexTrackdays
Scooby Regular

Hi Jef,

If you come to any of my days, you will get a free session of tuition included in the price of the day. I have just revised some of my prices as follows

mallory £130
Cadwell £130
Anglesey£130
Teesside £85

see www.apextrackdays.co.uk for more details, but they are all open pit lane events. If you wanted additional tuition and the instructors are available, which is fairly likely particularly at Cadwell when we will have two, the charge will be an additional £25 per session.

Regards

Mike
Old 13 April 2011, 06:17 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

hi mike

thats well cheap compared to the other company, how much time do you spend with your drivers?
Old 13 April 2011, 06:18 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Andy Walsh; http://www.carlimits.com/

A no brainer
Old 13 April 2011, 06:43 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike @ ApexTrackdays
Hi Jef,

If you come to any of my days, you will get a free session of tuition included in the price of the day. I have just revised some of my prices as follows

mallory £130
Cadwell £130
Anglesey£130
Teesside £85

see www.apextrackdays.co.uk for more details, but they are all open pit lane events. If you wanted additional tuition and the instructors are available, which is fairly likely particularly at Cadwell when we will have two, the charge will be an additional £25 per session.

Regards

Mike
thanks for that info mate,

im in scotland so its a trek down for me, but id love to get down over the summer and try one of them out, more than likley teeside

is that prices all summer?

cheers
Old 13 April 2011, 07:21 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike @ ApexTrackdays
Hi Jef,

mallory £130
Cadwell £130
Anglesey£130
Teesside £85

Regards

Mike
Its been a good few years since Ive been on track, and since I have never driven a AWD on track I think I could benifit from this. Where would be best for me, im based in the North West / Lancashire.
Old 13 April 2011, 07:23 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Oh and Mike, if you put [IMG] in front of your signature, and [/IMG] afterwards your logo should work
Old 13 April 2011, 08:06 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trails
Andy Walsh; http://www.carlimits.com/

A no brainer
I've done track days. I've done track day with supervision and tuition with several "instructors". Some were good some were up their own A Holes. But nothing, and i mean nothing compared to a day with Andy Walsh on an airfield. There are no potential hazards so nothing to crash into. Absolutely worth it. Impreza..... an extra 100bhp or a day with Andy Walsh??

As said above,, a no brainer!
Old 13 April 2011, 08:35 PM
micaredwrx
Scooby Regular

Maxx (Malcolm Edeson) FTW.
I hired his services for a day out at Snett a while ago and have to say it was the best money I've ever spent.
Having a 20 minute session with one of the TDO's instructors is quite good, But you'll never get proper feedback and analysis from the session in that time!
I thought I was the bees knees at track driving before tuition, But was soon brought back down to earth by Maxx and basically had to learn to drive (on track) all over again.
Whoever you choose for proper one on one tuition, It'll be money very wisely spent
Old 13 April 2011, 08:37 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Great info on this thread will be looking into myself do you bring your own car or use theirs ?
Old 13 April 2011, 08:37 PM
Mike @ ApexTrackdays
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
hi mike

thats well cheap compared to the other company, how much time do you spend with your drivers?
You will get a 20 minute session free of charge. If you want to go out with him again, it would be £25 for another 20 minutes.

I have done trackdays, as a driver for years and have never had tuition. Typical attitude of thinking I was a good driver. Yesterday I went out with David Da Costa, my instructor at Castle Combe. He was fantastic and all the other people who also went out with him could not believe the lines and how much quicker they were after. Well worth it.
Old 13 April 2011, 08:42 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apac
I've done track days. I've done track day with supervision and tuition with several "instructors". Some were good some were up their own A Holes. But nothing, and i mean nothing compared to a day with Andy Walsh on an airfield. There are no potential hazards so nothing to crash into. Absolutely worth it. Impreza..... an extra 100bhp or a day with Andy Walsh??

As said above,, a no brainer!
100% agree with that, did a day with him last year and wow Learnt so much, would go again and recommend anyone to do the same
Old 13 April 2011, 08:45 PM
Mike @ ApexTrackdays
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Its been a good few years since Ive been on track, and since I have never driven a AWD on track I think I could benifit from this. Where would be best for me, im based in the North West / Lancashire.
Cadwell Park would not be too far away. Or for a cheaper day, Teesside Autodrome

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Oh and Mike, if you put [IMG] in front of your signature, and [/IMG] afterwards your logo should work
Thankyou. I am useless with computers

Originally Posted by micaredwrx
Maxx (Malcolm Edeson) FTW.
I hired his services for a day out at Snett a while ago and have to say it was the best money I've ever spent.
Having a 20 minute session with one of the TDO's instructors is quite good, But you'll never get proper feedback and analysis from the session in that time!
I thought I was the bees knees at track driving before tuition, But was soon brought back down to earth by Maxx and basically had to learn to drive (on track) all over again.
Whoever you choose for proper one on one tuition, It'll be money very wisely spent
Got to agree on this. The free ones, or shorter tuition at a track day is a good taster to see if you get on with the instructor and to see if you will get anything out of further instruction. All the instructors we use do tuition separately and will spend the day with you at a trackday, as do most other ARDS instructors. I dont think many are restricted to any one particular company or track.
Old 13 April 2011, 08:48 PM
Mike @ ApexTrackdays
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
hi mike

I am also doing a scheme whereby all participants at our forthcoming day at Mallory on 21 April will get a voucher entitling them to 10% off the remaining days we will hold this year.
Old 13 April 2011, 08:50 PM
micaredwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leecalcars
Great info on this thread will be looking into myself do you bring your own car or use theirs ?
Learn to drive your car, Not the track. It's way more advantageous and the better understanding of what your car can do carries overs to every day driving on the road.

Last edited by micaredwrx; 13 April 2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 13 April 2011, 09:01 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

+1 for Andy Walsh @ N Weald
Old 13 April 2011, 10:47 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Don't confuse driver training, with a session with a tutor learning a specific circuit...

dunx

P.S. I enjoy taking mine on a rallycross circuit to "push" it harder than I do on the road.
Old 13 April 2011, 11:25 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Don't confuse driver training, with a session with a tutor learning a specific circuit...

dunx

P.S. I enjoy taking mine on a rallycross circuit to "push" it harder than I do on the road.
Define "push"