Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2002 WRX estate. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2011, 09:39 PM
toyotaowner
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 WRX estate. What to look for?

Newbie with lots of questions

I'm looking at a 2001 WRX Estate.

1) What do I need to look for? At around 100-130,000 miles, about £2,500-3,000 will there be any big bills looming, any big machanical jobs that'll need doing.

2)hat kind of MPG can I expect at 70mph on the motorway?

3) How much for the average servicing?

4) 37 year old in Plymouth. Any guesses for insurance? Am I looking at hundreds or thousands?

Any info on buying and upkeep would be appreciated. I'm also looking at a Honda Civic Type R, but I prefer the 4 door convenience of the Subaru, and the performance of course

Last edited by toyotaowner; 05 April 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06 April 2011, 01:05 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I've got a MY2002 WRX wagon from new (with about 110k on the clock).

At that mileage I would check it's had at least 2 cambelt changes (they should be at around 45k). Might want to check out the clutch too, it's difficult to get at so tend to cost a bit to replace. Possibly you should check for service history, but the book runs out at 90k, so I tend to book it in for a standard service in Oct/Nov and then do my own in summer, then just other fixes as they come up. About £200 for fluids, filters, plugs and checks, but I get non Subaru dealers to do it now.

Overall it's doing less mileage, but I've found that it goes through shocks like anything, though I swear the pot holes don't help. All other things work OK, and overall it's not proving too expensive just to keep going - occasionally needing parts replaced but it's not a money pit as such. Mainly it's brake pads and tyres. The tax is the worse financial part I find (as it's now our low mileage second car).

I get over 30mph on a motorway with a couple of minor mods, but it's used for little jaunts out, so rarely sees a blocked up motorway (it's more reserved for the country open roads when the right foot gets a little heavy :-) ).

Insurance is about £750 for me (39) and the wife with no claims but a few (speeding) points for us both, in North Surrey.
Old 06 April 2011, 02:31 PM
budgie smuggler
Scooby Regular

I have o2 wrx wagon 64k on the clock I am 37 pay 350 a year with a tracker I am looking at worn drop links on mine at minute possible overhaul of suspension.check the belts all of them brakes also just check what you would with any car but check thoroughly its a great car practical and fast.
Old 06 April 2011, 05:12 PM
toyotaowner
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies. So nothing really out of the oridinary, except to watch out for those shocks.

My main concerns are the clutch, gearbox, and turbo. But I get the impression that the car is fairly robust.

What's this mod, that's gets you better motorway mpg?
Old 06 April 2011, 07:12 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Miniman
I get over 30mph on a motorway with a couple of minor mods.
I must admit I've had mine well over this on the motorway.

I have a 2002 WRX Wagon and it's been very reliable. Service history is the key. 6 monthly oil changes are ideal and indicated a well looked after car. Mine's still on it's first clutch at 82K.

Mine's a 320/320 car with all mods declared, comes in at £500-600. MPG is not great if you push on. I did 200 miles this week on one tank: somewhere in the low 20's. Standard I used to get high 20's low 30's depending on driving style.

Get an independent garage to look at it would be my advice if you're not mechanically minded. I did that when I bought (I'm reasonably savvy with cars) and it saved me a lot of money. I was able to negotiate a big discount due to the findings (shocks, brakes and a ding on the rear bumper).

Good luck. I've had mine 4 years and it's not missed a beat. Great cars.