Sponsored by:

Decision's decision's.

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2011, 11:04 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decision's decision's.

As the post says I have a decision to make in the next couple of months modify my classic further (currently running 320+bhp) or by a wrx sti (03 or 04 plate) I'm leaning towards the latter (although I love my classic to bits) as I have seen a stunning blue wrx sti facelift model for around the £7000 mark with decent miles (will be sold by the time I get my money) just wondering how much would it cost me to improve performance to around the 450+bhp mark and is it easier than modifying a classic? help please just after some advice as to what would be needed to get to around the 450+bhp mark and how much?
Old 31 March 2011, 11:27 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GONZO01
As the post says I have a decision to make in the next couple of months modify my classic further (currently running 320+bhp) or by a wrx sti (03 or 04 plate) I'm leaning towards the latter (although I love my classic to bits) as I have seen a stunning blue wrx sti facelift model for around the £7000 mark with decent miles (will be sold by the time I get my money) just wondering how much would it cost me to improve performance to around the 450+bhp mark and is it easier than modifying a classic? help please just after some advice as to what would be needed to get to around the 450+bhp mark and how much?
Same dilema here m8, but i think i'll keep my classic just because i wont use it everyday and the feedback is much nicer than from a new age....Im runnin almost the same 320ish and is ok for the fast road me thinks. The new age u need to get to 370ish or more to feal same rawness ive been told... For me to believe it i had a passengers seat experience @MLR Brands track day as few guys took me for a spin in the new age's 340-450 ish and to tell u the trueth i was impresssed only by how fast they were, not how i felt inside them, very planted etc m but probably too modern for me... Althouh a new age is a much better platform if you are looking to go modiffying route. Stifffer chasis, better brakes, gear box etc... So it means less money to make it faster....Also its more comfy ,updated, more reliable.... So my choice would be

Classic - weekend + some other car for everyday stuff
New Age - everyday car....

Old 01 April 2011, 08:37 AM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply mate it is driving me nuts hopefully I will get a few more thoughts to help me decide.
Old 01 April 2011, 10:23 AM
wrathchild_78
Scooby Regular

a classic with a 6 speed gearbox and STI brembo brakes (at least front) , is a pleasure to drive.
Sure, it will cost more to get there but it will be a better performance car than any new age impreza imho.
Old 01 April 2011, 02:26 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Any other thoughts?
Old 01 April 2011, 04:19 PM
alex_impreza
Scooby Regular

if i was able to buy a blob eye i would i currently have a my00 classic running 320bhp, but im not saving up for a blob eye im ploughing everything into mine as im getting a company car in 6 months so wont mine for the track when i do get one.
Old 01 April 2011, 04:44 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends what you prefer for me as im old skool i like the seat of the pants feel of the classic which is why i drive a v3 type r with no help from anti lock breaks or active yaw control like the pansies that drive evos and the like.
I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars so this feels more natural to me.
I had a new age and it was just too civilised for me but was a great daily driver if thats what you like but i like the raw feel of the classic. each to there own at the end of the day they are both great cars its just down to personal preference
and if i won the big one on the lottery id still keep the type r just get a few more mods

Trending Topics

Old 01 April 2011, 04:56 PM
scott64
Scooby Regular

i have read that people that go from classics to new age are alittle disapointed at the way they drive, to be honest mate i would keep the classic
Old 01 April 2011, 04:57 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Without going into detail

You can modify a classic up to 350ish for not too much.
To build in some reliabilty 320ish is a good place for a classic to be.

As soon as you begin to take a classic over this it gets into way bigger bucks.

Bigger power -
Newage with a six speed box is the cheaper way to go, not a raw as a classic though.

The ultimate in my eyes is to take a classic and push big power through it.

However that means a forged engine a big turbo, brakes to suit, six speed box or PPG ect etc.

Are you prepared to spend 15k. Give or take a few thousand? End of.

Yes or No.

If yes go for it you will end up with the best of both worlds. The rawness of the classic with big newage power.

If No leave the classic as is and go for a new age.