Sponsored by:

fool the brain

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2011, 03:43 AM
Scotter5
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fool the brain

spent savings family savings, can't buy air bags, need car inspection. car meant to have 2 air bags, both no longer in car.

air bag light goes on for 1 sec--off 1 sec.--stay on.
need sequence to be on for 3 or 4 secs and then off to pass inspection

If you had experience in this matter please respond

Possibilities i heard of: use resistors to fool brain in line, then reset the module/brain.

Air bag is a LED, can't run a line from another light in instrument panel or airbag seat because it's a LED not bulb; unless you know that it can be done.

Program the module by telling module to find bags then turn them off as not to see them. Where would that type of program come from. HOw expensive?
Old 29 March 2011, 04:08 AM
frodge
Scooby Regular

what parts of the airbag system are missing
Old 29 March 2011, 09:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Either remove the airbag light BULB, or put a resisitor in series (across) the connectors where the airbags went.

Do a search for resistor size, but 3 Ohms springs to mind.
Old 29 March 2011, 10:49 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-2-2-Ohm-0...ts_Supplies_ET

I've used these sucessfully (2.2 ohm). Just double ends over and insert into airbag plugs then tape up so they can't fall out. At £1.09 for 10 it won't deplete your savings too much.

Last edited by D1CCY; 29 March 2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Cost comment.
Old 29 March 2011, 04:24 PM
Scotter5
Scooby Newbie

Hey Diccy,what do you mean double ends over?

1 Does the size of the volts matter that much?
2 Has it been anyone's experience in past that once in a crash the sensors reset themselves.

3 Has anyone heard of programming the brain to turn off the airbags?? I read in another forum that is what was done.
4. AFter laying down resistors, does the srs module/brain then have to be reset?

I know the best way to go is have it scanned for everything to determine all of this but, scanning is bucks. Please don't give me philosophy even though you know this maybe the best advise you can offer at this point.
Old 29 March 2011, 04:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

TBH, if you've no idea what you are doing, ought you to be doing it?

1. "Double the ends over" = bend the resistor so that it forms a U shape with the legs at right angles to the body, so it can be inserted into the airbag connector.

2. No.

3. You won't need to do that if you use resistors. That will cost you anyway, as a dealer etc needs to do it IF it's possible

4. Shoudn't.
Old 29 March 2011, 06:27 PM
Scotter5
Scooby Newbie

thank you for responses. you said the module shouldn't need to be reset, that would be good news--are you saying that the resistors will show that everything is now in order and hopefully bag light will functional normal again.

i wonder if the clock spring gets damaged once bag deploys--probably not, right because the horns and buttons on steering wheel are operating.

anything more you can tell me about what to look for?

THANKS AGAIN, I MEAN IT,ITS NICE WHEN OTHER PEOPLE COME TO HELP OTHERS
Old 29 March 2011, 10:18 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

i,m always on a budget so no how you feel mate.

i changed a steering wheel with air bag to a normal sparco on my old mk3 golf gti.
your set up
you turn the key the airbag set up will do a self test that will be the first blink ,i assume you have no airbags at all dew to differant set up,

because there is no airbags it wont make a curcuit hense the airbag staying on all the time ,alot a garages might be able to reset it on the ecu diagnostic port plug.as might be on that depends on your year off scooby !!!!.

the light staying on will also be mot failure ,you need to find a way off fooling the system and the mot man lol.

you can try the resister way might work i have not done this ,folding the ends to fit snuggly so the wheel your useing hides it could work .if not take the instruments (speedo cluster area) and try bridgeing it with your abs light so when you turn the car on abs light goes out and so will the airbag light fooling the car and mot man this is what i did .

you could take the bulb out for a short term fix but ,depending on mot man if he see`s you have no air bags fitted and no light comes on or off he might not bother saying anything

hope this helps
Old 30 March 2011, 01:06 AM
Scotter5
Scooby Newbie

You've presented yourself as very helpful, thinking of different angles. The resistors sounds like i could make a mess of things. also what if the sensor (s) are not resetted and then could be the coil spring, then resetting of the module expenses.

things could just go on and on. i sure want to tackle it in the worse way. i just quit as a high school teacher, due quite a bit of pressure and physical problems b/ of it, which leaves me with less money now.

PLEASE follow my thought and tell me if i am registering correctly.
how about going into instrument, air bag light is not a bulb, it's a LED, can i tap a line into the LED just as a bulb would be, same amps, watts??

i would first have to cut out/scrape the solder road/track going to the LED, tap/run in line from other light that goes on for couple of secs and then off.

some readings have said that if instrument gauges or leds go bad then whole instrument panel needs to be replaced. Would i be ruining the whole instrument panel by doing such a thing???

THANKS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN
Old 30 March 2011, 01:31 AM
Scotter5
Scooby Newbie

right, i'm not in UK, b/ usa. sure would love to be there. maybe some day. if you come to states let us know. my grandpa was not far from you, ireland. hope thats an ok name with you?

interesting--in uk they still test for bags currently, right? because you said in 2012 things will change.

by the way what do you think about my idea of cutting out solder for air bag light and tying in line to it. will it work?
Old 30 March 2011, 06:32 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I used resistors to turn off the airbag light in my old evo.

You just need to find out the correct resistance needed, maybe google impreza airbag resistor. The evo one was 3 ohms, I actually had a load of 10ohm resistors so just used 3 x 10ohm resistors soldered together with a female blade connector on each end.

Locate the connector in steering column, unplug airbag, then plug in your resistor to where the airbag would have plugged. Worked fine on mine.

Here's the thread I made on MLR, obviously for the evo but may help?

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=299078
Old 30 March 2011, 04:06 PM
Scotter5
Scooby Newbie

i like the link, nice job, photos and all.

question: did you say you pulled the air bag light? plan to take on the task of putting in resistors for 3 bag areas

however if air bag light doesn't follow this sequence: come on for a second or two and then go off again after planting resistors then i still have the problem. inspection looks for that sequence.

Does your bag light still resemble the above sequence??

thanks, cheers
Old 30 March 2011, 04:40 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scottwatkins11@hotmail
You've presented yourself as very helpful, thinking of different angles. The resistors sounds like i could make a mess of things. also what if the sensor (s) are not resetted and then could be the coil spring, then resetting of the module expenses.

things could just go on and on. i sure want to tackle it in the worse way. i just quit as a high school teacher, due quite a bit of pressure and physical problems b/ of it, which leaves me with less money now.

PLEASE follow my thought and tell me if i am registering correctly.
how about going into instrument, air bag light is not a bulb, it's a LED, can i tap a line into the LED just as a bulb would be, same amps, watts??

i would first have to cut out/scrape the solder road/track going to the LED, tap/run in line from other light that goes on for couple of secs and then off.

some readings have said that if instrument gauges or leds go bad then whole instrument panel needs to be replaced. Would i be ruining the whole instrument panel by doing such a thing???

THANKS AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN
No wonder American kids are fick Hope you didn't teach English

BTW using your email address as a user name is probably not the greatest move, unless you like a lot of spam that is?
Old 30 March 2011, 05:06 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Airbag light is not an MOT failure, my last 2 Imprezas have been MOT'd with it on.
Old 31 March 2011, 07:52 AM
frodge
Scooby Regular

my airbag light was on on my car when it went for the mot last week and it didnt fail , i always thought it was a failure but there you go.

as for the fix , a 3 ohm resistor will indeed work and is by far the easiest and cheapest option , one resistor into each connector for each airbag , job done!

i do agree with the above comment though , should you really be doing it as it is a safety feature , but i am sure you know the risks and am not really sure how the insurance company would see it in the event of a personal injury claim from one of your passengers!