Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked my splitter :( - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2011, 09:39 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked my splitter :( - any suggestions?

Cracked it on a speed bump on the way to the work this morning... It looks like a proper fibreglass one (was on the car when imported from Toyko) not a cheapy HT plastic one.. Any bodyshop gurus out there? possibly fix or is knackered? it has split right through...
Old 12 March 2011, 09:44 AM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plastic is much better than fibreglass mate, any body shop should be able to fix that
Old 12 March 2011, 09:44 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
Cracked it on a speed bump on the way to the work this morning... It looks like a proper fibreglass one (was on the car when imported from Toyko) not a cheapy HT plastic one.. Any bodyshop gurus out there? possibly fix or is knackered? it has split right through...
I have before cracked bumper old one C-West lip and guy at bodyshop this fix/repair it,but for crazy money(this guys asking me about £400)..
ChipAway will do this,but check with your nearest,how much...

Jura
Old 12 March 2011, 09:45 AM
shane_evans
Scooby Regular

You might be able to fix it mate just make sure that it ridged support behind the crack when you do as it will be a weak point. I have repaired a couple of bumpers on my old drift car. Just take your time with it to get it right.
Old 12 March 2011, 09:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

It is a straight forward fix by the look of it.
Get a fibreglass kit and reinforce the back of it with a couple of pieces of the matting/resin then fill the hole and flat it ready for painting key the back and make sure it is clean and roughed up to ensure a good bond. If you are not good spraying then take it to a body shop or ask chips away to paint it for you. the costs are in the repair and prep rather than the painting. Do that yourself and save the money

Last edited by The Zohan; 12 March 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12 March 2011, 10:16 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

cheers fellas, glad its repairable...didnt want to get a replacement plastic one then have a new series of holes to drill to fit it...unless the blob bumpers come with holes ready for it?

ill investigate fibreglassing and probably do the repair myself...but not the paint
Old 12 March 2011, 10:18 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

cheers fellas, glad its repairable...didnt want to get a replacement plastic one then have a new series of holes to drill to fit it...unless the blob bumpers come with holes ready for it?

ill investigate fibreglassing and probably do the repair myself...but not the paint
It looks straight forward, use 3-4 pieces of mating and rotate the weave of the matting 90 degrees (each piece) so you get strength in all directions. The fillling is straight forward - dig out any loose material but make sure you prime it as filler is porous

Last edited by The Zohan; 12 March 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12 March 2011, 10:55 AM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

id take a diff approach speaking from experience.
Bumper back
You need to key the back area, i.e with a knife or grinder so that the bond has something to key to. Make the area large enough so that you can properly reinforce the area. I would then cut a piece of ally to suit to bridge the crack.(5-6mm ally plate) Fix this in place with tiger seal and let it set solid. once set cut off any surplus and tidy the area. Then do as stated in the above posts and bridge over the whole lot on the back with fiberglass. I would however use a fiberglass paste out of a tub or squidgy tube that you add activator to rather than the matting as its easier and less messy and just as strong. Let this set up then tidy up the back with a 'flaaper disk' or gringing wheel. When happy paint the back with just matt or gloss black or paint to suit car colour and thts the back and reinforcing sorted. Dosen't matter what the paint looks like on the back as long as its covered as it will make the repair less obvious.
Bumper front
You need to grind down the cracks on the front to make like a v shape between each side of the carck so that the whole thing looks like a v. This then needs bridging with the same fiberglass you used on the back with the same principles as stated above about the keying and prep etc. Once you have preped and glassed the front and let set, tidy it up, weather a flapper or grinding disk or heavy grade paper is needed. The end result after glassing is take make sure that all cracks are filled with fiberglass and that no part is pertruding above. if any part of fiber glass is lower that is perfectly acceptable and better as you will get more filler in.Once happy and all sharp edges have been removed you need to prep fro the filler. Sand all the area that you need to fill with 240 or 320 grade paper to ruff up. you will need to sand an area bigger than the crack so that the filler can adhear. Once done your ready for filling. I recomend an easy sand body filler as its easier to sand as the name says and puts less stress on the repair as you wont have to press on as hard. Fill the carck with a spreader or spatcular. Take time to get it as soomth as you can and as neat as you can as this will make the sanding easier. Once its set, your ready for sanding. you will need to use a 'soft sanding block' to avoid you causing any unwanted divets in the filler/original paintwork. Once sanded, if your happy apply a thin coat of primer and assess the situation again as this will show up any holes or divets better to the naked eye. If there are divets repeat the filling process untill happy. you will need to sand the filler to key in if this is the case.
Once happy you will need to dand the whole area you want to paint and the filler you have done with the soft block. Work your way through the grades down to about 600 grade. Once your happy with the area and finish, wipe with a lint free cloth and either pannel wipe or standard thinners.
Your then ready for priming. Choose a decent quality primer. Spray the area in thin coats (best to follow the instructions on the tin). Thats that. its then ready for chips away to do thier bit.

As said in previous post as you can see, its the prep work that takes the time. If you are local to me id give you a hand doing it but don't know if you are or not. hope the guide helps.

Last edited by biggazvr6; 12 March 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12 March 2011, 11:46 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

fellas this is much appreciated

Biggaz - big respect for the offer to help1 unfortunately although being a cheshire boy im a South Londoner these days..but thanks for the how to guide, looks like its a toss up of self repair or it may just be cheaper and less time consuming to replace it with a plastic one? I do like it painted but i can imagine it happening again with the roads of London town so may leave it plain....

would we say plastic would be the better option over fibreglass?
Old 12 March 2011, 11:54 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

fellas this is much appreciated

Biggaz - big respect for the offer to help1 unfortunately although being a cheshire boy im a South Londoner these days..but thanks for the how to guide, looks like its a toss up of self repair or it may just be cheaper and less time consuming to replace it with a plastic one? I do like it painted but i can imagine it happening again with the roads of London town so may leave it plain....

would we say plastic would be the better option over fibreglass?
A plastic one will flex better - it will get more brittle the colder it gets though..
Old 12 March 2011, 12:34 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Yes as above,i have fitted before fibreglass,that' was heavy alot(after repairing again crack on same place).Now have fitted from FRP and is much better...

Jura

Last edited by jura11; 12 March 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12 March 2011, 01:21 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

grp is fiber glass is it no?
Old 12 March 2011, 01:23 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by biggazvr6
grp is fiber glass is it no?
Yes,i forgot i have from FRP,FRP is much better and lighter...
Sorry again..

jura