Sponsored by:

For sale section dont like the new lay out

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2011, 09:16 AM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry For sale section dont like the new lay out

Dont like the way the new lay out is in the for sale section far to many sections to go into was alot easier and quicker the way it was organissed before
Old 03 March 2011, 09:19 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

It could do with trimming down a bit.
Old 03 March 2011, 09:43 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Before it was one great amorphous mass of rapidly disappearing posts. We've now separated out the different categories and all you need do is think which thing you want and from whom.

We've addressed the concerns of the site members and spent some considerable time and effort getting it straight.

I think maybe you should give it a chance before complaining.
Old 03 March 2011, 10:03 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

fud, i understand what you mean but what i do like is it is not full of people trying to off load old household sh1te and dvd's, posters and general crap that should be binned or dumped on ebay.

what i do like is its clearer to find a specific item such as a set of wheels without troilling through 10 pages of crap

i get what you mean as if you want some new parts you now have to look at 3 - 4 different sections ie traders, trade breaking, member breaking and parts but i think its like anything give it a few weeks and you will be used to it and find it more organised.

it may need tweaking a little and dropping one or two of the sections or sub sections to clean it up a bit but it should i hope it helps to reduce the amount of scammer's on here and improve the trader rating
Old 03 March 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by stevie1982
it may need tweaking a little and dropping one or two of the sections or sub sections to clean it up a bit
Can you give me an example of your thoughts on that point please?
Old 03 March 2011, 11:33 AM
Boydey77
Scooby Regular

Is the `subaru marketplace` drop-down menu going to get updated? as it doesn`t show all the new sections.
Old 03 March 2011, 01:14 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
Can you give me an example of your thoughts on that point please?
In the " Market Place (SN Members only)" -I dont' think there is a need for "Full Car breaking section"
There is already a "Car parts section" here for individual items.
If somebody wants to break a full car he should really do it in the Authorised trader section, " Full car breaking" (i.e. become an authorised trader if he wants to break a whole blemin car!!)

Also the Traders Contact Area should be a link to a thread, on top of the "Trader Announcement Section" rather than a whole sub section that is locked & contains just phone numbers etc

I also don't think there should be two "Group Buy Sections" as in almost most instances the group buy products are being sourced/bought from Traders anyway. Group buys should be in either section but unlocked for Traders & members to start threads in.

"Dealer & third part queries" is a complete waste of space as well, surely another place can be found as a link in the Trader Announcement section" maybe?

Also "Driving Dynamics" might as well be lumped in with "Suspension" & called "Suspension & Dynamics" as nothing ever goes on in "Driving Dynamics" apart from me posting videos!!

Last edited by rickya; 04 March 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03 March 2011, 01:19 PM
sandyRS16i
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
what i do like is its clearer to find a specific item
While I accept the point about people using the FS as a dumping ground for crap and see how it can be useful if you are looking for something specific, but many of us just like to browse quickly at regular points in the day and then 'impulse' buy if we see something we would like but werent actively searching for - to me that ease and accesability has now gone.

The Itrader function is a great introduction and works well.

Originally we had just general for sale which everyone could access, with cars for sale & car parts accessories only for members, now everyone has to pay to advertise, would these areas not work well again with people being directed/moderated to posting in the following areas

Car parts & accessories (only)
Cars for breaking (traders & private)
Cars for sale

General (all other crap in here)

Overall reduces the number of categories or sub categories that we now have and should work fine, although with possibly some moderation to make sure people posting are in the right category?

Trying to be constructive and not just saying 'I dont like it' btw
Old 03 March 2011, 04:14 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Before it was one great amorphous mass of rapidly disappearing posts. We've now separated out the different categories and all you need do is think which thing you want and from whom.

We've addressed the concerns of the site members and spent some considerable time and effort getting it straight.

I think maybe you should give it a chance before complaining.
Compalining ? Or having my say is that changed on here aswell

Let me put it this way without comapling. I was looking on a thread last week that a lad was selling his car then after a few days he decided to break it .Now ive looked in for sale section, sale parts, sale cars, sale breaking, cars for sale,Now can you see what im getting at if not then never mind.

Before i would look in cars for sale (not trade) for a car and see them Then look for car parts i would look in parts obviously to find them.Now ive got to search through 6 threads to look for one thing .

Generall items non car related
Car parts
Car for sale
Then a wanted section

(QUOTE)
While I accept the point about people using the FS as a dumping ground for crap and see how it can be useful if you are looking for something specific, but many of us just like to browse quickly at regular points in the day and then 'impulse' buy if we see something we would like but werent actively searching for - to me that ease and accesability has now gone.

The comment above^^^ is exactly what im on about and exactly what i do i might want a exhaust but see a nice dvd player and get it for my daughter but not now ..

In my eyes soooo much easier.And if im aloud to say it was ok for the past 10+years ive been looking.

Last edited by BIG FUD; 03 March 2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03 March 2011, 04:35 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

I like the new structure. The fact that it's broken up means I can select exactly the sub-forums I want in my RSS reader, namely:

https://www.scoobynet.com/external.p...37,438,442,439

which means I don't get the posts that I wasn't interested in to start with. You won't please everyone with the changes, but it's better to be able to choose what you want to see (but have a few more forums to look at) than not be able to choose and have to siphon through the crap.
Old 03 March 2011, 06:54 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

yeah where is all the general non catagorised stuff
Old 03 March 2011, 08:45 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by millsy3
yeah where is all the general non catagorised stuff
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-car-re...-for-sale-448/
Old 03 March 2011, 09:22 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

but many of us just like to browse quickly at regular points in the day and then 'impulse' buy if we see something we would like but werent actively searching for - to me that ease and accesability has now gone

totally agree to keep with things and to get 1st in line for after market parts or any other for that matter i often use the quick browse method ,this now takes alot longer to get to the section i want .

Total appreciate why this has been done as the FS was a mess with dvd's,coffee tables and general shed ****e no-one wants !
Old 03 March 2011, 09:39 PM
WRX-murphy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BIG FUD
Dont like the way the new lay out is in the for sale section far to many sections to go into was alot easier and quicker the way it was organissed before
you are coming across as thick...............as usual !

murph

Last edited by WRX-murphy; 03 March 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03 March 2011, 09:48 PM
johnnybon
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked it the way it was i though it was so much easyer before may be you should have stop the non scooby stuff like tv,furniture and such like being sold on here as we are all looking for the next cheap up grade for our pride and joys
Old 03 March 2011, 10:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by leecalcars
but many of us just like to browse quickly at regular points in the day and then 'impulse' buy if we see something we would like but werent actively searching for - to me that ease and accesability has now gone
Its a point, but really the only people that got their thread 'seen' were the ones bumping their threads several times everyday to keep them on page one. Because of the bumping and constant fighting to get a thread to be one of the 30 threads that occupies page one, the 'new' stuff rarely gets a look in. It was really down to luck and constant bumping for a thread to get attention.

Because sales categories are now spread across a number of seperate forums, each thread now has much much longer exposure on page one. So yes, we have slower forums now, but it does mean that a) nobody has to keep bumping and b) the ones that do not bump get a chance for their thread to be seen.

Total appreciate why this has been done as the FS was a mess with dvd's,coffee tables and general shed ****e no-one wants !
Totally agree, it became untenable years ago. I guess some people became used to sifting through rubbish to find the odd gem and the fast pace of threads dropping off page one in the space of a few hours. So I guess it will take a bit of adjusting for some of the sales die-hards. In the end of the day, its just a few more clicks.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 March 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03 March 2011, 10:55 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

I have to say in the short time i have been viewing the forum i enjoyed the "browsing" possibilities of the old way. I dont really have time to look through all the forums now, for me it was as much about "grab a bargain" as it was specifics. When i wanted specifics i used the search function with no issue's.

I saw a lot of talk about the FS section in the "have your say on how SNET runs in 2011"
Clearly lots of people where fed up with it. This "purge" by the moderators is the method THEY have chosen to silence the critics i guess. Plus its an aweful lot easier to have the moderators doing what they should be doing, rather than re design a FS section, or dissallow bumps & BTTT's. I would assume this is originally how the FS section was supposed to look, but the mods have not done their jobs an allowed it to get poorly organised over the years....In truth i persoanlly see precious little moderator activity on the forum, and at least this "purge" proves their existance.

Shame for the sellers though, as no question you dont get much for your SNET fee, and now perhaps even less, since your items for sale will be viewed by fewer people without question. Providing the seller could be arsed with a Bump or BTTT everyday..tough to please everyone...
Old 03 March 2011, 11:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Plus its an aweful lot easier to have the moderators doing what they should be doing, rather than re design a FS section, or dissallow bumps & BTTT's.
On the contrary: The problem with the old style forums was they moved so quickly it was nigh on impossible to moderate or keep track of. I'd log on, have a quick look, log off, carry on with work. Then I'd log back on two hours later, and everything has changed and shifted around. Via a combination of bumping, new threads and replies, the first ten pages would be totally different in sequence to that of several hours ago. No other section of scoobynet is like this, where usually the whole day's posting is contained within the first two pages.

I personally tend to focus on threads that are current, but with the speed that the sales sections moved, it was impossible to keep track of it, nor any user's posting habits, making it harder to detect covert traders. This on top of managing reported posts and the rest of the forum.

Plus despite obvious forum titles (cars...for cars, parts...for parts, and general for anything else), people ignored them. Its was quite clear a disorganised habit had formed where lots of people wanted to just put everything in the general for sale forum regardless if it was the right place or not, and ignored the more relevent sections...such as car parts and cars for sale. Dare I say, sections which should be more relevent to this forum (cars and car parts, on a car forum).

Maybe if I was paid to do this, I'd look at it differently, but my time here is given for free, and its quite finite. So its mainly focussed more on the more managable discussion sections. Now the sales sections are more organised, maybe they will be more managable. Time will tell.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 March 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03 March 2011, 11:40 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I actually think it's a job well done, i found the old general for sale was tedious to trawl through. At least you can narrow down your starting point now.
Old 04 March 2011, 12:04 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

times move on and so does this site and others, BUT you can see points from both sides including FUDS and i like to impulse buy as well which wont be hppening now, and it is only having a say so calling someone thick for having a point of view has just back fired on you MURPHY
Old 04 March 2011, 01:00 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by rickya

If somebody wants to break a full car he should really do it in the Authorised trader section, " Full car breaking" (i.e. become an authorised trader if he wants to break a whole blemin car!!)
Just to pick up on this, as breaking cars has become a bit of an issue on here of late... Do you really think that is totally fair. What about someone who has had a bump, can't afford to fix the damage/isn't fully comp so can't claim themselves (if an own fault bump)? That person isn't a trader anymore than someone clearing a few bits out of their garage. Or a person who can't afford to run their car anymore, but accepts it's maybe worth more in bits than a whole car? Again, not a trader imo.
Old 04 March 2011, 01:23 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by wrx fifer
times move on and so does this site and others, BUT you can see points from both sides including FUDS and i like to impulse buy as well which wont be hppening now, and it is only having a say so calling someone thick for having a point of view has just back fired on you MURPHY
I think the main problem here is most people don't like change, even if something isn't really working.

Maybe it's just me (and the fact I rarely went looking for something without wanting it-not acting on impulse) but I don't feel it's any greater hardship to click on a few extra sections, than trawling through 2/3 or more pages as it was before, and that could just be within a day, nevermind if you had a break for a few days from here.

As it stands now, the sections should move more slowly, allowing people the chance to catch some of those bargains we all love rather than missing them in amongst all the bumps. Also the sections are more defined, and at least now parts aren't lost amongst general 'stuff'.

Just focusing on the members FS area alone, I really think it's more a matter of embracing change or giving it a chance before writing it off. It may seem bad to some at first, but this was done for the greater good, to try and make things easier for people. If just browsing, clicking onto 3/4 different sections (which may only have a page of new stuff between daily visits) seems just as easy as going through 3/4 pages of stuff in one section. Plus, it should be much easier for those looking for a more specific item as things aren't so mixed up together.

I always say, you can't please all the people all of the time, but what I would say here, is people who aren't happy at least give it a chance. Perhaps in time you may find it works better.
Old 04 March 2011, 02:32 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

+1
Old 04 March 2011, 07:22 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with you there
Old 04 March 2011, 09:09 AM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's about change at all. We all accept change has to happen. Lets just say it could be far easier. For example a shall we say rival dark side website has

1.Said cars for sale
2.Non said cars

1.Said parts for sale
2.Non said parts for sale

Use that template then add a cars breaking section, leave the wanted and the group buys... happy days.
Like many of the posters have said before in the past you went to two sections you looked through and sorted. All SN needs to do is to seperate the sections as above..... Simples!!! lol
Old 04 March 2011, 12:59 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of more sections, as you will get fewer items in each, so easier to find what you are looking for, as you can now go to a more relevant section.
As always, in time there may be a few tweaks to get it perfected.
Old 04 March 2011, 01:05 PM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=sandyRS16i;9913746]While I accept the point about people using the FS as a dumping ground for crap and see how it can be useful if you are looking for something specific, but many of us just like to browse quickly at regular points in the day and then 'impulse' buy if we see something we would like but werent actively searching for - to me that ease and accesability has now gone.

+1
Old 04 March 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

We cant please everyone but the fact is, items for sale now have EXPOSURE which they didnt have before. That old room sometimes had 30 pages a DAY of items for sale, who can be bothered looking through all that when you have ebay at your disposal, especially when your looking for a set of wheels and are having to trawl through TV's microwaves and *****'s. Not many for sure.
Old 04 March 2011, 02:48 PM
scoobystue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Just to pick up on this, as breaking cars has become a bit of an issue on here of late... Do you really think that is totally fair. What about someone who has had a bump, can't afford to fix the damage/isn't fully comp so can't claim themselves (if an own fault bump)? That person isn't a trader anymore than someone clearing a few bits out of their garage. Or a person who can't afford to run their car anymore, but accepts it's maybe worth more in bits than a whole car? Again, not a trader imo.
that was my point,ive just bought a new wagon,ive tried selling my old one but noone is interested,now i'd lke to see some money back from it and the only way now is breaking it as i dont want to waste anymore money advertising it

breaking it is the easiest option now but im not a trader so once is sold for parts i wont be doing it again(hopefully)

Why should someone breaking one car be classed as a trader
Old 04 March 2011, 03:28 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

I think the new setup is great and you Mods deserve a pat on the back

top job.

Quick Reply: For sale section dont like the new lay out