Sponsored by:

rebuild question .....again lol

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2011, 10:30 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild question .....again lol

just wondering , when an engine re-build is carried out "standard". pistons and rods are not replaced are they ? are they just cleaned with new rings and bearings ? also my engine should make 350bhp and im thinking of gettin the engine rebuilt with the standard internals as its cheapest option and also should handle the power if looked after right ?
i know forged is a safe bet but i cant see myself upping the power output any higher in the future , due to turbo,gearbox and various other mods to carry out ! rather just get a more powerful car in a year or wen i get bored ? "shouldnt b 2 long "

any other suggestions and advice would b appreciated , cheers
Old 01 March 2011, 10:33 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

throw an sti engine into it? banny has a hawkeye sti 2.0 bottom end for sale. best/cheapest option? thats what i would do.
Old 01 March 2011, 10:57 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by initialD
just wondering , when an engine re-build is carried out "standard". pistons and rods are not replaced are they ? are they just cleaned with new rings and bearings ? also my engine should make 350bhp and im thinking of gettin the engine rebuilt with the standard internals as its cheapest option and also should handle the power if looked after right ?
i know forged is a safe bet but i cant see myself upping the power output any higher in the future , due to turbo,gearbox and various other mods to carry out ! rather just get a more powerful car in a year or wen i get bored ? "shouldnt b 2 long "

any other suggestions and advice would b appreciated , cheers
It's all about the engineering. Sizes matter in an engine!
Assuming you stripped the motor, you'd measure everything. Then you'd compare what you have with what you need. If the crank mics up nicely, and it's undamaged in any other way, you can re use it. If you can't, you have to have a new one. Etc.
If it needs a rebore, we always use forged pistons. If it's set up nicely, it doesn't have to be noisy as a result. The stock pistons are more expensive!
Most of the expense of a Subaru engine is getting at it all, and buying the gaskets. You might as well do it properly while you're there, as it saves going back again later.
Old 01 March 2011, 11:35 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

ok ,thank you for the advice i appreciate it just so i can av a good browes , wot size pistons should i b looking for ? its for a 2002 bugeye wrx . im quite unexperianced when it comes to engines ! but im slowly learning and i think i want to stray away from second hand engines , never know wot u gettin
Old 01 March 2011, 11:42 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

How about taking it over to stew at TFS racing and talk to him about what you want done, he can talk to you about it and then build you an engine you can be completley sure about.
Old 01 March 2011, 11:47 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

yea thats who i had in mind ! he fitted my turbo and some bits and bobs for me just waiting til ive finished my list of parts that i need before i hav it built , tyres, battery. then ill b payin him a visit
Old 01 March 2011, 11:54 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

trust me mate you won't go wrong with stew, he's surreys top secret lol.
Old 02 March 2011, 07:05 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by initialD
ok ,thank you for the advice i appreciate it just so i can av a good browes , wot size pistons should i b looking for ? its for a 2002 bugeye wrx . im quite unexperianced when it comes to engines ! but im slowly learning and i think i want to stray away from second hand engines , never know wot u gettin
You don't look for a piston size, it looks for you!
Whoever is building your engine would measure the bore size and compare it with the skirt clearance. If the sums add up, and the bore is undamaged you could possibly re use your original pistons. If the bore is worn beyond the limit you need to rebore to the next oversize, and hone to fit your new pistons. An engineer would only rebore the minimum amount, the usual oversizes are plus .5mm and plus 1mm.
Old 02 March 2011, 04:05 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

ok , thanks for the advice lads
Old 02 March 2011, 05:41 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did someone mention Banny having a short engine for sale

Shaun