Sponsored by:

Guide to fitting oil temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2011, 06:12 AM
steve71
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide to fitting oil temp sensor

Hi guys/girls is their a simple step by step guide to fitting a oil temp sensor to a 02 bugeye,i have my gauges all wired in and just need to find best place to fit sensor as my gauge is not picking up temp of oil at minute,also is their any special bits I will need,I have a sensor connected to a braided line I got of eBay and have it connected along with oil pressure sensor on top of engine but this is obviously in wrong place any advice will be good thanks steve
Old 28 February 2011, 11:06 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sigh. Done a search? Sigh.

Anyway, best place for the sender is in the tappings on top of cylinder No3, which is rearmost, driver's side.There is a bung in them at the moment, it's head can be seen down in front of the intercooler and at the side of the turbo, it's about 30mm across and has an 8mm hex hole in it. To get it OUT, you need a LONG 8mm hex key, and removing the intercooler makes access better. The tappings are about 20mm, maybe less.

Depending on your sender, you probably need an adaptor for the threads on the block, your gauge seller may be able to help, he'll know what thread the sender is and the tappings on the block, alternatively, try e-bay, but I've no idea about what thread either is.

BEFORE trying that, however, DO make sure the sender is working: try it in boiling water, the gauge ought to read.