Sponsored by:

renault 5 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2011, 10:09 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default renault 5 turbo

how quick are these things, come had one behind me sat on my bumper on country lane, i didnt bite coz had the wife in the car but i wasnt going slow, just wonderd if anyone knew anything about these old classics.
Old 26 February 2011, 10:13 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All depends if it was modified or not fella,ive seen some of them running 200bhp maybe a tad more and in that spec will fly once you get the power down and stop spinning the wheels lol.
Tbho though even a unmolested standard one can pick its feet up given they weigh as much as a jerry can
So don't be surprised it can punch above its station
Old 26 February 2011, 10:15 PM
Paul Hutch
Scooby Regular

Not very to be honest 1.4 turbo single cam I think there about 120bhp engines like chocolate. Can be nippy with a few mods bigger turbo more boost etc u shud smoke it
Old 26 February 2011, 10:35 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If its still running around after all these years its been well cared for and probably not standard, i had one years ago bloody thing could go as it weight next to nothing, brill car, always used to forget to pull the choke on to strart it, yeh not many folk will remember what that was lol, broke down more than it went, but was a brill car back in the day, proper turbo go kart lol

Last edited by **jay**; 26 February 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 10:49 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I've always wanted one, I remember my dad having an original gordini turbo when I was really small.
Great little cars, was one in my town a few years back that was pushing out almost 240BHP. It was a bloody rocket.
Old 27 February 2011, 08:48 AM
CHOLTON
Scooby Regular

I always liked them in white with the red carpets , 1.4 pushrod engine I think . Don't see many about now .
Old 27 February 2011, 09:13 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1397cc push rod carb/turbo engine, was a little unreliable, mainly due to the heat under bonnet, not fast/fast but quick in it's day (on par with the 1.9 205 gti), even Renault didn't push this engine too far, 160bhp for the r9 turbo rally car (grp n?) and the trim is fragile on the r5, and you really don't want to be in a crash in one, it's built out of tin foil

Tony

Ps, the phase ones had less power than the phase 2, 115bhp v 120 I think, and the phase 1 had the worst of the issues mechanically

Last edited by TonyBurns; 27 February 2011 at 09:15 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 27 February 2011, 09:39 AM
Jekyl
Scooby Regular

Ran one for a little while but every time i was on the road the windows wound back up & doors would lock? sold it asap. Like mentioned earlier would spin everywhere off the line.
Old 27 February 2011, 09:59 AM
ian7675
Scooby Regular

That's a car that I've always wanted as I'm a big fan of the 80's hot hatch. I had the Peugeot 1.9 gti instead purely because of reliability but even now I'd still have one as a weekend car as I wouldn't trust it for a daily driver.
Old 27 February 2011, 10:18 AM
Clarky2.5wrx
Scooby Regular

Ive owned 3 of these beauties, its the most fun u could ever have!!!! My last one was just under 200 bhp, not realiable but easy to fix. Dry tarmac straight line 3rd gear wheelspin when turbo cut in!!!! sooooooo much fun. When it did get grip hold on!!!!
I would have another one tomorrow.

Clarky
Old 27 February 2011, 10:56 AM
Jamieee
Scooby Regular

I had three of these back in the day the best being a buy from Olly Clarke.

The other two where quick but the one I bought from Olly was a monster it would poo on anything up to 60

White rocket it was, it used to sound like the USS Enterprise at Warp 9 it was ridiculas. The Turbo used to whilstle throught the huge K&N filter, I used to drive around with the windows down even in the cold/rain just to listen to it.

But as stated in previous posts they where unreliable and the heat it generated was like nothing else, you could open the bonnet after a run and get an instant tan.

Then there was that bloody fan that was supposed to come on after you had switched off the engine, and by the time you got to your front door, no fan = no start next time out.

Still was the best car back then, the noise, the fun!
Old 27 February 2011, 11:03 AM
subaruian
Scooby Regular

My mates got one running 230 as said before spins all over the place but once it gets going its mental feels like you doing twice the speed as the cars are so small lol but there are like coke cans but are great fun and classic insurance tax aswell ile dig some piccys out and post um up

ian
Old 27 February 2011, 12:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
All depends if it was modified or not fella,ive seen some of them running 200bhp maybe a tad more and in that spec will fly once you get the power down and stop spinning the wheels lol.
Tbho though even a unmolested standard one can pick its feet up given they weigh as much as a jerry can
So don't be surprised it can punch above its station
+1
Old 27 February 2011, 12:59 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
1397cc push rod carb/turbo engine, was a little unreliable, mainly due to the heat under bonnet, not fast/fast but quick in it's day (on par with the 1.9 205 gti), even Renault didn't push this engine too far, 160bhp for the r9 turbo rally car (grp n?) and the trim is fragile on the r5, and you really don't want to be in a crash in one, it's built out of tin foil

Tony

Ps, the phase ones had less power than the phase 2, 115bhp v 120 I think, and the phase 1 had the worst of the issues mechanically
The 21 turbo was the one to have Tony,i had one with a blue printed engine running 320bhp and that would fly,put many a subaru to shame that old girl did!!
Old 27 February 2011, 01:11 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

renault 5 is the car that got me into turbo power i have had 2 of them 200bhp was my wife one and 250 bhp was mine completely rebuilt,low comp pistons,with plenty of gt tuning goodies bigger turbo,intercooler,group a carb -31 actuator etc...about your question if you come across a modded one in the dry in a straight line show it some respect or you might just be suprised when it starts to pull away from you.i will always have a fondness for them
Old 27 February 2011, 06:55 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a new one in 1988.Tungsten grey colour. Felt like a rollerskate. Great going around (dry) corners. Started jumping out of 2nd gear at 3 months old, turned out to be a cracked gearbox casing. Also remember having 4 of my kids in car when it was raining heavily when the clutch cable broke. I still loved that car though. Steve.
Old 27 February 2011, 07:42 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

had one of these little babies myself and so much fun. got an 'H' plate and I think the 'J' plate was the last production one with mine being all white and I dont so much too it. great car at the time and my mate had the Fiat Uno Turbo at same time........ Sold mine to get the 1.9 Pug 205.

5 Turbo was fast in its day but no where near the power of a decent Impreza but fun all the same.
Old 27 February 2011, 08:11 PM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

I owned one a long time ago. Notoriously unreliable but I loved it!!
Old 27 February 2011, 09:20 PM
WildPikey
Scooby Regular

I had one, Loved it to bits, Never really had any problems until I started messing with it, Think I fitted just about every part gt tuning could supply Was simple and relatively easy to work on, To be honest there wasn't much to go wrong contrary to popular belief, Lot's of low down power but not an Impreza by any means, They are from a different era though so an unfair comparison really, I wouldn't sell either to own the other but would have them both
Old 27 February 2011, 09:26 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I had a pic of a R5GTT Raider on my wall as a kid

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2543/...a79_z.jpg?zz=1

Moved on to liking Cosworths before I had the chance to buy one though

TX.
Old 28 February 2011, 08:35 AM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

if modded correctly very fast cars mine was rebuilt by roland at gt tuning and i spent over 20k onit in 4 yrs of ownership (Idiot) i raced a bugeye sti (what i own now) when they were pretty new out and stuck to his back bumper but it took 28psi to do it and no rear seats!
Old 28 February 2011, 11:35 AM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

20 years ago I had a 5 Turbo fitted with a mechanical device to turn up the boost. 150 bhp was achievable with modest, safe increase in boost, giving around 185 bhp per ton (car only weighed 830Kg). There was no need for any ECU remapping in those days. Not bad for a 1.4 litre.
Old 28 February 2011, 11:39 AM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

One of these was ragging round the Angouleme circuit between races at last year's Circuit Des Ramparts - absolutely awesome - couldn't believe how quick it was through the triple hairpin section! VW sponsored the event and 2 or 3 Scirocco R's were taking potential buyers for a quick whip round - the 5 was travelling at twice their speed
Old 28 February 2011, 04:27 PM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bunsofsteeeel
if modded correctly very fast cars mine was rebuilt by roland at gt tuning and i spent over 20k onit in 4 yrs of ownership (Idiot) i raced a bugeye sti (what i own now) when they were pretty new out and stuck to his back bumper but it took 28psi to do it and no rear seats!
Roland used to run GT Tuning from his garage in Creekmoor, Poole years ago (1995ish). He had a white one and his Mrs had a blue one (or may have been the other way round??). Anyway both were running over 350bhp.

Used to stop and chat to him on the way to my see my mate who lived down the end of his road.
Old 28 February 2011, 06:31 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

my mate has still got a 21 turbo and i must say he is runnign 260 in it and it weight 1150kg and it does go well and the engine has done 198000 miles and never had opne problem with it no head gasketts botom end and it even got a pump that stays on for 5 minutes when you turn the engine off so it keeps the oil flowing rounf the turbo this was and is the best car they ever made and have still not made one better
Old 28 February 2011, 08:40 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

As stated before this car got me into turbo car's had a Gray one on a g plate but put an Irish one on it (or private plate as my mates thought clowns) it had black leather recaro's with a red piping boost controller, uprated turbo, intercooler, clutch, air filter, exhaust etc it ****ing flew but not near as quick as my classic, it spent more time in the garage though as most people have said but I loved it and if it wasn't for the r5 turbo I propably wouldn't have my scooby. Happy days
Old 28 February 2011, 10:16 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

Awesome little car's when set up right, i had a 16v clio which we put the 5 engine into running around 200 bhp, wish i never sold it but had the impreza and needed a place to live so had to go

Theres some insane one's around, a guy called stuart clarke IIRC had a 1.4 still on a carb which run an 11.4 @ pod, then theres a guy called scoff who's got one with a 172lump in and turbo'd thats ment to be mad

But i think my favourite one's was my mates one we built which we put a 19 16v lump in it was just so much fun was'nt insanely quick but was just out right fun

The quickest one i went out in was a guy called mart, he never really told people what power it was running but when he went for it in 3rd i basicly got blured vision

Last edited by scooby seb; 01 March 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01 March 2011, 08:35 AM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by N_Scooby
Roland used to run GT Tuning from his garage in Creekmoor, Poole years ago (1995ish). He had a white one and his Mrs had a blue one (or may have been the other way round??). Anyway both were running over 350bhp.

Used to stop and chat to him on the way to my see my mate who lived down the end of his road.

thats roland very quiet guy but drove like a nutter, he moved the garage to a proper unit in the end in blandford (can't seem to upload pics on this site) i remember in his audi tt he used to have a post it note saying SLOW!! on the dash i know the lad who works for him john or did im going back some yrs, had rolands project car and he says it used to run 32psi no problem my car was near as damit the same spec and i couldn't run that boost!
Old 01 March 2011, 08:57 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Owned enough of them in my time. They have a huge stigma attached regarding blowing headgaskets and overheating, but that was mainly down to stupid kids using bleed valves to increase the boost without considering the fuelling.

Just to be ****, the Renault 5 turbo was the 80's mk1 mid engine car that was used in the Group B rally, I presume you're talking about the mk2 Renault 5 GT Turbo...

I've had both an 11 Turbo and 21 turbo as well. Great cars £ per smile, but yes, due to age and french design 'quality' they do require looking after.

As for Rolands claimed 350bhp Tim, that's bollocks, impossible on the C1J without nitrous and that wouldnt last very long... strangely the two biggest tuners in the game; K-Tec and GT Tuning never proved their claimed figures...
Old 01 March 2011, 01:08 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TinyTim
Owned enough of them in my time. They have a huge stigma attached regarding blowing headgaskets and overheating, but that was mainly down to stupid kids using bleed valves to increase the boost without considering the fuelling.

Just to be ****, the Renault 5 turbo was the 80's mk1 mid engine car that was used in the Group B rally, I presume you're talking about the mk2 Renault 5 GT Turbo...

I've had both an 11 Turbo and 21 turbo as well. Great cars £ per smile, but yes, due to age and french design 'quality' they do require looking after.

As for Rolands claimed 350bhp Tim, that's bollocks, impossible on the C1J without nitrous and that wouldnt last very long... strangely the two biggest tuners in the game; K-Tec and GT Tuning never proved their claimed figures...
i think bbtuning's car got well into the 300's on the dyno, but roland did manage a 12.6 quarter at santa pod which for a front wheel drive is pretty good back in 98

Quick Reply: renault 5 turbo