Wheres the break point to modding

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2011, 10:41 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wheres the break point to modding

Ok daft question but if anyone knows.

Ok weve all seen this video and it would be great to have this power but i hazard a guess Fuel consumption will be stupid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCAbR...eature=related

So at somepoint i will get my saloon to 450 BHP fully forged block etc.

If you modding a car is there a point in the mods that its gonna cost ****loads. and really give you crap fuel.

Ive spoken to a good guy who mods subarus for a living and if i go 400 450 and drive like my dad my fuel wont be that bad, But if i nail the car its gonna drink like Oliver Reed.

How much can you get a sccoby to and still return 250 300 to a tank if driven very very sensibly, and also be usable as a car.

I think Rama on here sold his Engine tuner 550 BHP car and he mentioned that returned 250 to a tank which i though was good for such a powerful build.

I remember sitting in my m8s FQ400 and him telling me that it only did 145 to a tank now thats 400BHP, how come that EVO was so **** on fuel, Im sure if we took a 400 BHP scooby it would have better fuel ?

so in short if we say

400 to 450 is anything between 8 n 12k to do.

Would 700 be like 30k ?

Im intreagued to know what and when it gets expensive and the fuel takes a hit.

thanks
Old 13 February 2011, 10:43 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is over 400 bhp, and I can get 6 mpg on track, in the cold weather it dropped into the high teens, but this weekend I managed 23 mpg on a 200 mile round trip.

HTH

dunx

P.S. 500+ gets pricey real quickly, IMHO. 80 mph is 3000 rpm in mine...

Last edited by dunx; 13 February 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 14 February 2011, 10:20 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

It can still return about 200miles from a tank, but why would you want to drive like a granny in a car that is built purely for fun ? Your service intervals are shorter and engine parts wear out much more quickly than on a normal car, even if you use it for pootling along all you do is waste resource and throw away cash.
Old 14 February 2011, 10:58 AM
Lofty91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by serega
It can still return about 200miles from a tank, but why would you want to drive like a granny in a car that is built purely for fun ? Your service intervals are shorter and engine parts wear out much more quickly than on a normal car, even if you use it for pootling along all you do is waste resource and throw away cash.

So its kind of all or nothing, mild or mental.

I know which end Dunx is at with his car
Old 14 February 2011, 11:28 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

There's also a case for comfort. A 500bhp+ subaru will not be as comfortable or smooth or reliable as a 300bhp subaru, why would you want to be stuck in traffic jams or even driving at the speed limit in a car like that ?
Old 14 February 2011, 11:43 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

There's also a case for comfort. A 500bhp+ subaru will not be as comfortable or smooth or reliable as a 300bhp subaru, why would you want to be stuck in traffic jams or even driving at the speed limit in a car like that ?
Au Contraire! We have a good number out there running about with that kind of power, and they're very civilised. With standard cam profiles they are very smooth and nice to drive, they can just take the boost!
Old 14 February 2011, 12:39 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Hey Alan!
I suppose you could try to tune your car for comfort, but still - when you go for 500bhp+ wouldnt you want stiffer suspension so that it can take that extra speed through the corners and an exhaust that allows more gasses to flow and hence become quite a bit louder, then there is higher tolerances between the cylinder wall and the piston which in turn makes your car use more oil and a big turbo that is really more like an off/on switch and all the lag that comes with it ?

Yeah depending on your tolerance to discomfort you can probably say that it's not much more harder to drive than a standard sti, but getting 500bhp+ from a 2ltr or even a 2.5ltr is as close to the limit of tuning as it gets and if you do get there, why would you want to compromise for comfort?
Old 14 February 2011, 01:23 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

i see your point Serega.

My question was more like what Alan said, i have currently a 300bhp STI, which is fun to drive does ok MPG to london and acceptable family car.

I only wanted to know when does all that stop and at what limit.

I agree a 500bhp is a beast and would be for the pro and track boys, But as Alan said it would be nice to have AS my STI is now with a massive boost on tap and car capable to take it.

i dont track day i only Bez from lights her and there so the cars not used really for as it was intended.

but having a 3.5 0-60 is my goal and so mega boost and sharp as a nut.
Old 14 February 2011, 01:36 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Ted you need a ride in Bigarf's 650 bhp Enginetuner powered monster, it's almost civilised like having a killer whale in fish tank sort of way...

Mine gets me to work and back o.k., but it's not a traffic infested commuter crawl, just a quick tickle over the hill.

Mine isn't anywhere near as economical since the huge injectors went in, but JGM is having a look on Thursday to set me up with a running in map ready for my A.J./Enginetuner 2.1 when it returns...

dunx

P.S. I'm aiming for 492 bhp
Old 14 February 2011, 01:43 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

go for 500

youll regret it :P
Old 14 February 2011, 01:45 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I've not even looked to see if it's been said yet ... if mpg concerns you stay well clear of scoobs let alone modded ones

IMHO the modding will never stop as any car can always be improved ... to get a classic to 350+ or a newage to 450+ will cost mega bucks.

TX.
Old 14 February 2011, 02:27 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

but getting 500bhp+ from a 2ltr or even a 2.5ltr is as close to the limit of tuning as it gets and if you do get there, why would you want to compromise for comfort?
700+ is the new 500+ my friend on a 2.35l. Expensive? Very. Economical? Still better than a standard Evo 360. Comfortable? Erm.... ok I suppose. Quiet? Nope Still a road car? Nope. Civilised? Yes very. Am I happy? You betcha.
Old 14 February 2011, 02:41 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Personally unless your actually looking for a specific figure, I would prefer a car that has a useable amount of power.

My classic Type RA was mapped with the VF29, ported headers and the other bits and bobs. It was so much faster than my mapped UK turbo. With the silly low gearing, it never seemed to be lacking in power.

350 - 400 at the very most would do me in a classic. 400 in a newage STI I assume because its a bit more chunky.

My ideal would be a 400HP prodrive bugeye - however, I'd want it be useable on a daily basis and be just as happy hounding around the B roads round here as taking the nipper to school.
Old 14 February 2011, 03:23 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Personally unless your actually looking for a specific figure, I would prefer a car that has a useable amount of power.

My classic Type RA was mapped with the VF29, ported headers and the other bits and bobs. It was so much faster than my mapped UK turbo. With the silly low gearing, it never seemed to be lacking in power.

350 - 400 at the very most would do me in a classic. 400 in a newage STI I assume because its a bit more chunky.

My ideal would be a 400HP prodrive bugeye - however, I'd want it be useable on a daily basis and be just as happy hounding around the B roads round here as taking the nipper to school.

Thats the golden ticket, and what i want, nothing too mad thats gonna be silly daft but MORE but within the threshhold of a daily business car as it is now.

I hazard a guess 400 in a new saloon would be ok and even 450

just MAP the SI drive to cater for daisy driving. and mad nutter days
Old 14 February 2011, 03:29 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Grr silly chrome ruined my post

Last edited by serega; 14 February 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 14 February 2011, 04:13 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Hey Alan!
I suppose you could try to tune your car for comfort, but still - when you go for 500bhp+ wouldnt you want stiffer suspension so that it can take that extra speed through the corners and an exhaust that allows more gasses to flow and hence become quite a bit louder, then there is higher tolerances between the cylinder wall and the piston which in turn makes your car use more oil and a big turbo that is really more like an off/on switch and all the lag that comes with it ?

Yeah depending on your tolerance to discomfort you can probably say that it's not much more harder to drive than a standard sti, but getting 500bhp+ from a 2ltr or even a 2.5ltr is as close to the limit of tuning as it gets and if you do get there, why would you want to compromise for comfort?
That's where you need to be clever! We are always seeking out solutions that don't ruin what you had to start with.
As far as I see it my job is to offer guidance. Very often I'll disagree with what I'm being asked to do, and offer other alternatives.
It wasn't very long ago that a 500 bhp car was the stuff of dreams!
Old 14 February 2011, 04:25 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

500bhp still is dreams for many lol.
Old 14 February 2011, 06:11 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Back in '97 300 bhp was pretty special, in a world of UK turbos...

LOL

dunx
Old 14 February 2011, 09:06 PM
Lofty91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Back in '97 300 bhp was pretty special, in a world of UK turbos...

LOL

dunx

It soon will be special in a world of rising fuel prices