Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor trader problem. Advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2011, 01:00 AM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor trader problem. Advice please?

Bought my car from a small one man band s/h car garage in mid December 2010.

The dealer said he had the v5 and mot cert at his home, and that he would post the mot and green slip to me the following day, and the v5 to dvla.

Surprise, but after 2 months and a few phone calls (given feeble excuses about snow etc) I still have no docs.

So now and I'm calling him daily, but he doesn't answer the phone.

I have a receipt for the car (on which he wrote: v5 and mot to be posted the next day) and I have a copy of his traders hpi check on the car.

But I only have his word that the mot is valid, which I can't check online without the v5!

Looking on dvla website it says if no v5 has arrived after 4 weeks, I should apply for a v5 myself with a v62 form. Because I have no green slip that will cost 25 quid.

I guess I'll have to do the above. But should I be worried about all this? And should I report this dealer? and if so, to whom?

Sorry about the long post, and ty for looking,
Phil
Old 12 February 2011, 01:04 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Where is this dealer from?
Old 12 February 2011, 01:24 AM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Y
Where is this dealer from?
Nelson, in South Wales.
Old 12 February 2011, 10:12 AM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not pay him a visit?
Old 12 February 2011, 10:16 AM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
Why not pay him a visit?
I agree that's what I'd do just go there and have a few words
Old 12 February 2011, 10:25 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Hi Phil,

You need to immediately write to the dealer stating the problem, also the number of attempts you have made to contact him, state the date you bought the car, also today's date, then say it has been 'xxx' length of time that I have been trying to contact you, as you have failed to respond to my numerous attempts to contact you over the past 'xx' weeks, this is my final communication, and I request that you respond to my letter within 14 days of receipt, if not, I will be seeking legal advice.

Send it recorded. The reason you need to make clear the numerous attempts you have made to contact him is viewed in law as the fact that you have taken 'reasonable' measures to contact him, and he has been 'unreasonable' by not responding. The unreasonable one never wins cases like this. (Mostly).

Hope this helps,

Greg
Old 12 February 2011, 10:44 AM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

You can get a duplicate MOT for £10 and the V5 is £25.

Lets be realistic here, no one is going to court for £35. In honesty it was totally naive to buy a car without all the supporting documentation. The OP just needs to pay up and learn from this, but as i said earlier i would still be paying the guy a visit.

I would also be trying calling him from another number, if he recognises your phone number he will reject the call, if its a different number he might just answer it....
Old 12 February 2011, 11:00 AM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

I would also be trying calling him from another number, if he recognises your phone number he will reject the call, if its a different number he might just answer it....
thats a good call
Old 13 February 2011, 12:54 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

.....In honesty it was totally naive to buy a car without all the supporting documentation.....
Thanks for the advice folks,

I do take issue with being called 'totally naive' though.

If I had met a private seller at a motorway services - then fair one. But I wouldn't have bought the car without all the docs present under those circumstances.

This was a dealer's premises. And I had my receipt plus the service book and spare keys.

As the garage is a good hour's drive away, and I thought I could trust the motor trader to simply post the docs. Otherwise I'd have had to make another trip there on a different day.

It pi55es me off that he's let me down. I think I'll contact trading standards to try to cause him some discomfort. And I may waste a Satudrady down there telling his perspective customers to beware.

First I'll try calling from other numbers as suggested.

Thanks again,
Phil
Old 13 February 2011, 01:18 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

No offense intended fella but seriously

a). Why would you buy a car without all supporting documentation? Could have had 15 owners or worse?
b). If the trader has a premises then what have you been waiting for?...i thought we were talking about a guy selling cars on the fly. If he has a forecourt why are you not going to see him?...

The phone from another number is ok mate, but seriously why put yourself through this frustration for the sake of a "good hours" drive, only to suggest you would make that same drive to pester his customers?.........go see him matey!...take someone with you too!

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 13 February 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 13 February 2011, 01:24 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not that much of a Major issue all you need to do is apply for a new logbook which should take two weeks and then check if you have a valid mot when it arrives. It sounds as tho he doesn't have it anyway otherwise he would fo sent it you by now. The first thing I would do tomorrow is get that form sent off. It has happend to me loads of times

Last edited by juggers; 13 February 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 13 February 2011, 01:26 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Small claims court will pay your costs and time...

dunx
Old 13 February 2011, 03:06 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

No offense intended fella but seriously

a). Why would you buy a car without all supporting documentation? Could have had 15 owners or worse?
b). If the trader has a premises then what have you been waiting for?...i thought we were talking about a guy selling cars on the fly. If he has a forecourt why are you not going to see him?...

The phone from another number is ok mate, but seriously why put yourself through this frustration for the sake of a "good hours" drive, only to suggest you would make that same drive to pester his customers?.........go see him matey!...take someone with you too!
a) The HPI report shows 2 owners, not stolen, no finance, mileage check, etc etc. But now (with hind-sight) I wonder if the car was officially even his to sell !?

b) I'm disabled, and I work, and I have a family life. So I'd rather not waste half a day plus fuel for nothing. As I said, at least an hour drive each way, and no idea if he will be there, and less confidence that he'd have the docs... If I go there I'd feel the need to:
1) Cause him some disruption where it hurts (his business) Cos he won't care about what I say to him.
2) Let others know my experience genuinely, so they can beware.

Originally Posted by juggers
Its not that much of a Major issue all you need to do is apply for a new logbook which should take two weeks and then check if you have a valid mot when it arrives. It sounds as tho he doesn't have it anyway otherwise he would fo sent it you by now. The first thing I would do tomorrow is get that form sent off. It has happend to me loads of times
I think you're right I'll feel a lot better about it if / when I get the docs.

Originally Posted by dunx
Small claims court will pay your costs and time...

dunx
I'm sure that'd be a lot of paperwork, but could be worth it, thanks

Last edited by pmcb; 06 March 2011 at 11:48 AM.